welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-08-23 Creepin' it Real
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, it's a drone. so it's consciousness resides in a chip. and it may even be backed up in hell (since the drones are constantly reporting back). so while the physical body of that drone is clearly done for, its consciousness may still remain, somewhere.

so it could be reincarnated (by milton, in an upgraded body) - or perhaps it just exists in the cloud, as a sort of ghost droid.

so that raises the question, re: the fembots - was just their physical body destroyed, or were their minds erased as well? destruction does not necessarily mean a total wipe - remember rogue was able to access the memories of the one destroyed bot. but we don't know if devilcorp did a more thorough job on theirs, since those started acting "inappropriately".

we could start a whole theological discussion on robot souls, spirituality, death and rebirth.....

also: man, that is a _serious_ staff she has there.
anti-prophet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you believe in reincarnation isn't killing still wrong?
Felgraf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
If you object to the destruction of a spybot, do you also object to te destruction of fembots in prior strips?

That's easily reversed, of course: If you objected to the destruction of the 'non-awakened' fembots, did you object to the destruction of the drones?

/And yes, I did feel their destruction was wrong.
//But I'm also a huge fucking softy.
///"What is the measure of a non human"e tc etc etc.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anti-prophet wrote:

yet another philosophical question! is killing always wrong? and is this affected by the possibility of reincarnation?

in classic reincarnation, what you are reincarnated as depends on how you behaved in your previous life. in this instance, the drone is killed as it behaving badly; one can posit that, if it continued to live, it would continue to behave badly, thus increasing its risk of being reincarnated as some lower robot form (say, a sentient toaster). if you stop it from doing so, by killing it, you are essentially doing an early reset. does this give the drone a chance of being reincarnated as a higher form (because it has a shorter history of bad acts) or not (because its next 'life' is based on its trajectory in this one, and it had no chance to change course).

i'm telling you, robot theology. it could be a graduate-level course.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:
stripeypants wrote:
If you object to the destruction of a spybot, do you also object to te destruction of fembots in prior strips?

That's easily reversed, of course: If you objected to the destruction of the 'non-awakened' fembots, did you object to the destruction of the drones?

Dude, I wasn't asking to be quaint or witty. There were big hulking debates about whether it was okay to dismantle the fembots, which also had mentions of destroying the drones. I couldn't remember who said what there, so I asked here again to see if those complaining this drone was killed are being consistent. That way I have an idea of what's going on.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
anti-prophet wrote:

yet another philosophical question! is killing always wrong? and is this affected by the possibility of reincarnation?

in classic reincarnation, what you are reincarnated as depends on how you behaved in your previous life. in this instance, the drone is killed as it behaving badly; one can posit that, if it continued to live, it would continue to behave badly, thus increasing its risk of being reincarnated as some lower robot form (say, a sentient toaster). if you stop it from doing so, by killing it, you are essentially doing an early reset. does this give the drone a chance of being reincarnated as a higher form (because it has a shorter history of bad acts) or not (because its next 'life' is based on its trajectory in this one, and it had no chance to change course).

i'm telling you, robot theology. it could be a graduate-level course.

One of course could also argue, that by killing it prematurely, you are denying the drone the chance to do some decent acts -caused by some not_entirely_unlikely_event like zen-zapping- that would guarantee the drone a better reincarnation.

You are correct, robot theology is a very important topic.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the sentient robot has killed and intends to kill again, and the only viable way to stop it is to destroy it, should you destroy it?

I'm waiting for more information about the drones before I really make any decisions. As it is I can see reasons the Sisterhood would destroy the spying drones, even if the drones were sentient. Do I think that's right? I don't know, I need more information about what they know, what the nature of these drones are, etc. I have a set of, "If this, then that" protocol that I could apply if I knew more.

Either way, I'm sure eventually whatever Tat means to say about it will become known, and then there'll be more to talk about.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/sites/okcupid
http://www.quickmeme.com/Average-Girl-on-OKCupid/?upcoming
http://weknowmemes.com/tag/okcupid-meme/
Felgraf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Felgraf wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

Dude, I wasn't asking to be quaint or witty. There were big hulking debates about whether it was okay to dismantle the fembots, which also had mentions of destroying the drones. I couldn't remember who said what there, so I asked here again to see if those complaining this drone was killed are being consistent. That way I have an idea of what's going on.

Ah, apologies.

I admit I did not chime *in* on those threads, but I don't think I was participating in the forum as much then?

Basically, yeah, I think dismantling them was wrong. Just like I think killing the drones is somewhat wrong.

*BUT*. I don't think the Sisterhood *knows they're sapient*/have the capacity for sapience. They have no reason to know that-they've never encountered a zenzapped drone, they're not privy to the drone conversations. So I suppose it's a bit of dramatic irony (even if unintentional-I, uh. I'm not so sure about Tat's continuity/whether he's thought that bit through, sometimes.).

Quote:
Do I think that's right? I don't know, I need more information about what they know, what the nature of these drones are, etc. I have a set of, "If this, then that" protocol that I could apply if I knew more.

Hah, I can get behind that. I've got a number of "If-then" beliefs in my approach to morality (and spirituality).
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geareye wrote:
Istancow wrote:
Hmm. I do actually think you're right.

I also think that if I keep thinking you're right I'll find it harder to enjoy the strip.

War might be a strong term. Espionage with lethal consequences if caught, but not a war.

Also, here is the strip I was talking about before).

I think the strip you posted reinforces the idea that it is a war...an openly declared one, in fact. It's stil in terms of guerilla warfare, but stil warfare. It's been pointed before, when one posted a"sisterhood is doing x and it's wrong/violent/hurtful", like the potential harm to devilcrop employees that war has casualties..., it's not bloodless. Cute spydrones included.

Seriously, name me one battle for equality that has been?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:

Seriously, name me one battle for equality that has been?

Totally agree. It's not bloodless and it's not supposed to be bloodless.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember last year encountering an article entitled, "It's time for some gay shame." The author (Who may or may not have been gay himself) talked about how everyone should feel very badly for the police officers during the Stonewall riots, as well as their families, because they must have been so terrified.

Compassion sure is a good thing, but there were several things wrong with this article.

1. Gay PRIDE was a response to the gay SHAME that was near universal in American culture at the time. This author was trying to be witty, but ended up displaying his very poor historical knowledge.

2. Those poor police officers had been raiding and roughing up queers for a long, long time. The queers suffered a lot more and a lot longer than those police officers because of anti gay laws and sentiments.

Because of these things, while I do feel the usual compassion I feel towards human beings for these police officers, and while I understand they were just doing their jobs, I don't begrudge any of the rioters for reacting the way they did. The riot changed things for the better, and at the time there really wasn't a better alternative.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3. None of the cops at Stonewall were impaled through the brain with bo staffs.

By which I mean that none were killed, period. I believe there were some injuries and a lot of unverified claims that the rioters were murderous, but as moral ambiguity in uprisings goes, I don't think that Stonewall registers much worse than good ol' civil disobedience, and I definitely don't think it needs to be defended with rationalizations like "there really wasn't a better alternative!" and similar X-Men villain lines.

I don't understand why Stonewall keeps getting put on "Worst Riots in American History" lists alongside bloodbaths like the 1863 New York draft riots and the 1992 Los Angeles riots that killed dozens to hundreds of people.

Wait, d'oh, yes I do, it's because of homophobia. :3
Yinello

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all boils down to whether you see a machine as a life to be respected. Are we sad when we throw an old laptop away? Why is it we feel more compassion to a machine if it acts more human? We kill mosquitos when we feel they threaten to sting us, why not when they threaten to shame us?
Felgraf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
It all boils down to whether you see a machine as a life to be respected. Are we sad when we throw an old laptop away? Why is it we feel more compassion to a machine if it acts more human? We kill mosquitos when we feel they threaten to sting us, why not when they threaten to shame us?

Then I take it you were also okay with the fembot dismantling, as well?
-Ed, from Digger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: