welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-08-29 Going at My Own Pace
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ricia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I a weird female that I don't do this? I don't obsess over having all this stuff on me when I leave the house? I don't 'plan the safest route' to to a place. I do tend to avoid dark alleys and such but it's more avoiding mugging then rape. I'm not saying Nique or other females are dumb for doing it. If it makes them feel more secure that's fine. I just wonder if I'm doing something out of the ordinary.
merest

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, I probably do more prep work than Monique does, so I'm not especially sympathetic. That said, I imagine that men like Slick do exist, and are envied by women who would like to be as carefree.
TerseRiddle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't prep for safest route... partly because I feel it's common sense to avoid things like dark alleys.
I would love to be able to just walk out the door, but I also don't want to leave the house without things like the wallet that I can chain to my pants.. those glasses that I need to drive... seriously does no one drive in that world? Cell phone is a duh.

Then there are my keys... the closest thing to a weapon that I carry... although it would mean more for monique to have comparative to someone like me.

but yeah.. those item I'm pretty obsessive over making sure I have before I walk out the door.
Padlock

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricia wrote:
Am I a weird female that I don't do this? I don't obsess over having all this stuff on me when I leave the house?

I wouldn't say you're weird, but most everything she lists is stuff that most people would want to carry.

Keys to get into things. (Home, vehicle, mailbox, &c)
Wallet to hold the later mentioned money and ID. (Which are also important for reasons I hope I don't have to list.)
Cell phone to keep in contact with people and for any emergencies.
Tampons are important not only for any personal emergencies but can be helpful for others who may not be as prepared. (I've been approached more than a few times for tampons and pads.)
I presume by protection she means some sort of condom, which are good to carry so there's no excuses.

The only thing that MIGHT be weird is the Kreeptonite, but is that any weirder than people who carry concealed guns?
sunshine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it very much depends on where you live, what previous experience you have and what is your overall look on life. I do walk home during the night even though I know it's a bit dangerous. I just count on my good luck and hope that I can be inventive and crazy when needed. But sometimes I walk home some friend who doesn't feel that safe during the night and I know some girls who never walk alone in dark (and sometimes female company is not enough to make them feel safer).
I sometimes hold on to my keys just in case and sometimes I feel really safe. I can't tell what it is that sets the mood.
But I don't think I would walk around alone in some neighbourhoods. And in some places in the world it is not ok for women to walk alone even during the day. So it really depends.
In Moniques case I think as an artist that gets shit from people... she has to be prepared for anything...
diagram12345

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricia wrote:
Am I a weird female that I don't do this? I don't obsess over having all this stuff on me when I leave the house? I don't 'plan the safest route' to to a place. I do tend to avoid dark alleys and such but it's more avoiding mugging then rape. I'm not saying Nique or other females are dumb for doing it. If it makes them feel more secure that's fine. I just wonder if I'm doing something out of the ordinary.

Me too. On the other hand, my male roommate always makes sure to hold his keys in a way where he can use them to defend himself.
Timpie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is creeptonite more or a less humane to deal with the sinfest creepers then just beating them up? Monique has demonstrated to being able to kick a good deal of ass, the spray feels a bit redundant. Maybe it just requires a whole lot less effort.

And men deal with a whole lot more, sometimes we have to wear shirts & stuff if it gets chilly!
Arkhron

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am a 5'8 man with +300 pounds and I live in a "funny" neighborhood. Every time I am going out I check wallet+keys+phone+locks+windows.

I am not saying the monique part isn't real (I haven't see a woman walking the dog past twilight) but the Slick part is not. Unless the point here isn't dangers as being mugged but being raped.

But in this case if someone is going to rape slick the pants aren't to be a good protection against.

I am sick, don't bash me too hard for missing the point, k?

Be compassionate
Felgraf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly do what Slick does. Wallet? In pants. Keys? In Pants. Phone? In Pants.

Underdressed? I am a grad student. If I am *WEARING* clothing, underdressed is not really a thing that can happen easily.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Mikewee777

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand women. They do and they hate each other. I thought everyone carried O/C spray. Carrying a Trebuchet in the middle of the night and not using it to get home just seems excessive and impossible. Don't get me started on the licensing costs just to legally own it. Pockets are annoying because they stab my sides and I can't even fit a legal sized trebuchet in one. Cargo pants are more comfortable. Saying this out-loud while wearing them has gotten me fired from too many jobs. That's why I carry this t shaped necklace. It lets people know that my imaginary friend can beat yours up.

Conform and rest.
TerseRiddle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikewee777 wrote:
I don't understand women. They do and they hate each other. I thought everyone carried O/C spray. Carrying a Trebuchet in the middle of the night and not using it to get home just seems excessive and impossible. Don't get me started on the licensing costs just to legally own it. Pockets are annoying because they stab my sides and I can't even fit a legal sized trebuchet in one. Cargo pants are more comfortable. Saying this out-loud while wearing them has gotten me fired from too many jobs. That's why I carry this t shaped necklace. It lets people know that my imaginary friend can beat yours up.

Conform and rest.

I.. I'm sorry, but I'm not sure about what you were trying to say here...
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont engage!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The city I live in is pretty safe so I don't need to check for those. Add to the fact that I look like a white middle class cis-woman makes that people won't think they can easily rob me without repercussions. I'm pretty much second on the privilege chain.
Mikewee777

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
dont engage!

It's that kind of talk which is why the divorce rate is so high.
Spend more time with the one you love before you take the figurative plunge.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Divorce rate is shrinking.

If i had to guess its because the average age of marriage is going up and people are waiting til they actually mature into adulthood to do so.

So yeah...refer to my sig
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: