welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-09-06: Peak Dudebro
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Istancow

Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey whoawhoawhoa, dude. Bro. Dudebro. Broski. Bro MacDudemuffin.

Come on, Bro-achino Bro-ssini. Ease up, Dude-ly Moore.

Take it easy, Captain Barbar-bro-ssa, let the chillpill work its pillchill. Sail on through the Strait of Gi-bro-ltar into the Down-to-terranean Sea.

It's never too late to redeem the bro-dude linguistic 'tude, brah.

*gags trying not to laugh*

I don't even know if anyone seriously wants to reclaim that.

Last edited by Istancow on Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:58 am; edited 3 times in total
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"dinglebro" is a pretty good alternative, i have to say
Varthonai

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Istancow wrote:

I do. Mock it if you must, but it was part of my childhood and continued semi-ironically through young adulthood and maturity and there was never anything oppressive about it. I still call good friends bro and dude often and it's weird to go between that and a community that considers it to be a symbol of hate, especially when I don't even know the origin of the transition. What's misogynistic about the words dude or bro? How and why did this happen, and why did nobody tell me until it was too late?

Dinglebro is okay though, I guess.
Istancow

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to mock something sentimental to you.
I'm only fooling about, as usual. Trying to make a light joke. No harm meant, and I have nothing sincere against the amicable users of the brotastic vernacular- offline, I say the word, "dude" entirely too often myself.

So please accept my apology for any offense dealt.

Last edited by Istancow on Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Tekii

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Varthonai wrote:
Istancow wrote:

I do. Mock it if you must, but it was part of my childhood and continued semi-ironically through young adulthood and maturity and there was never anything oppressive about it. I still call good friends bro and dude often and it's weird to go between that and a community that considers it to be a symbol of hate, especially when I don't even know the origin of the transition. What's misogynistic about the words dude or bro? How and why did this happen, and why did nobody tell me until it was too late?

Dinglebro is okay though, I guess.

Dude and bro aren't seen as insulting themselves and the meaning/type of people that get called dudebro's seems to vary among people but from what I've seen and come across for the most part its the sexist homophobic rich white frat boy type or the sexist homophobic gamer type. I've seen both a fair bit but its an internet lingo that caught on on its own in different circles so I don't know if there's a one set definition for it.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I prefer "Brochacho" for referring to friends.
Istancow

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brotato chip!
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ultimate Broski
From the LI, I was sent
I've been to hell and back
'cause I was so hell bent

Yinello

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Felgraf: The dinglebros who scream the argument BUT WHAT ABOUT THE MEN don't do it because they're so in equality, but because they want to derail. They even use it as a counterargument despite the fact that two wrongs don't make a right.

Example: woman raped in India. BUT MEN GET RAPED TOO. as if they expect people to go: oh shit that's right, well silly us what are we getting worked up for.

Said dinglebros also don't care about Gay Guy at all. Homophobic dingebros would more likely consider him effiminate and thus not 'a real man'.
Varthonai

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Istancow wrote:
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to mock something sentimental to you.
I'm only fooling about, as usual. Trying to make a light joke. No harm meant, and I have nothing sincere against the amicable users of the brotastic vernacular- offline, I say the word, "dude" entirely too often myself.

So please accept my apology for any offense dealt.

Apology accepted, and thank you for being so forthright. <3
Ennis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
@Felgraf: The dinglebros who scream the argument BUT WHAT ABOUT THE MEN don't do it because they're so in equality, but because they want to derail. They even use it as a counterargument despite the fact that two wrongs don't make a right.

Example: woman raped in India. BUT MEN GET RAPED TOO. as if they expect people to go: oh shit that's right, well silly us what are we getting worked up for.

Said dinglebros also don't care about Gay Guy at all. Homophobic dingebros would more likely consider him effiminate and thus not 'a real man'.

Yeah, I think one of the most to-the-point summation of why "BUT WHAT ABOUT TEH MENZ" is that whatever issue is never brought up by these same people in relation to men on their own. It's a response meant to take away attention from whatever is being discussed and recenter the topic on men. Like a woman is raped, rape culture (usually in relation to women) starts being discussed and then some dudebro/dinglebro drifts by and screams "but men get raped too why aren't you talking about that!" when he himself never talks about that particular issue, has never been raped and regularly makes jokes about male criminals getting what's coming to them in prison (which is basically the only place your risk of rape is high if you're a cis man). It's just derailing, and they don't actually care about it other than that they want people to stop talking about women and start talking about men.
The Idiot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole concept of ally in these types of contexts is fucking stupid. As if you need some sort of label for not being a deplorable human being.
Ennis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Idiot wrote:
The whole concept of ally in these types of contexts is fucking stupid. As if you need some sort of label for not being a deplorable human being.

I saw a whole lot of people who were convinced that the "A" in LGBTQIA stood for "Ally" and you have no idea how fucking pissed I was. Especially since even being included in that acronym is rare for aces, I have seen so much "asexuals aren't queer! get the fuck out of here" by other queer people, sometimes if you're "lucky" specified down to "hetero-romantic asexuals are basically the same as heterosexuals so gtfo". With this really over-simplified view like "well if they're hetero-romantic they won't get harassed walking down the street with a partner" like okay, wasn't aware you needed to face a certain amount of harassment before you could identify as queer, guess that means all the single lesbians and gay guys don't count either.

I asked my mum what she thought would happen if she said to a guy she started going out with "I never want to have sex" and she was like "well he would just dump me if I wasn't going to have sex" like it's expected that all romantic relationships are going to come to sex. Hetero-romantic asexuals can't just waltz up to the nearest heterosexual and start having an ostensibly straight relationship just without the sex. Not to mention that asexuals can still get a lot of the "you're too young to know", "you just need to have good sex with <opposite> and then you won't feel this way" and also some other shit unique to asexuals.

Sorry for the rant I just have a lot of feelings.

Also for some reason bi/pansexuals tend to get on really well with asexuals. My theory is because they relate to the "no get out of our spaces" when they happen to be dating a person of the opposite sex* and people insulting their identity.

*I have mixed feelings about this term as a trans* person but I don't know what else to call it
Sam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO LONG HAVE I BEEN INTERJECTING IT INTO THREADS THAT I KNOW THAT SHE'S READING MY POST. WHAT ABOUT THE MENNNNNNNNNNNN
Sam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH SHIT SON BUT I AM GOING TO MAKE A SERIOUS POST NOW
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: