welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-Sep-14 "I don't wanna fight"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yinello

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kendra wrote:
Umm....just because a majority group of people pay more for a product, that doesn't mean that they have the right to bully the minority of people. It's called discrimination. I would love to play video games, but I have known too many women who have been harassed online simply for being female. Women who were told that they would be raped. Just because the majority does have the authority to bully and harass the minority, that doesn't mean they should.

I recommend trying single player games. Games are a lovely entertainment medium and there's plenty of fun single players games out there. Check out the gaming thread (death vigil) on the forums, a lot of us are more than willing to help you out.

Also don't be surprised when someone tells you that rape threats are freedom of speech or something equally garbage in this thread.
Wolfo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kendra wrote:
Umm....just because a majority group of people pay more for a product, that doesn't mean that they have the right to bully the minority of people. It's called discrimination. I would love to play video games, but I have known too many women who have been harassed online simply for being female. Women who were told that they would be raped. Just because the majority does have the authority to bully and harass the minority, that doesn't mean they should.

You have the equality and freedom of choice to ignore a product.
Do not like the product? Ignore it. You don't have to buy it. Your rights are not being violated simply by it "existing," as much as you would like to think it does.

As far as your incredibly dumb example goes;
First, if your friend(s) were legitimately physically threatened to being raped in any credible fashion, it should be dealt with via proper channels. Which include reporting to the police of reported and violent sexual harassment.

Second, it is the internet. Being "threatened" is nothing new or special. I have been threatened bodily harm, threatened to be killed, threatened for my family to be killed, etc.
While you may consider it a more "serious" offense, it is nothing to be taken seriously in any facet. No, it's not acceptable. No, it's not something you "should" have to deal with. But a girl dealing with it is no different than anyone else, I assure you, everyone regardless of age, sex, orientation, etc. will receive some form of threat that is similar.

Third, I repeat, it's the internet. There is only as much information on it as you so desire. For all you know, I could be a Martian. This applies to yourself and your friends. Don't want to be "discriminated" for being a girl in an online game? Don't let them know you're a girl. It's that fucking simple.

If you want to try and claim "but why should I have to hide myself!?!?!?!" you should realize that this is not the cause of some overt discrimination within the group(s) concerned. It has nothing to do with an overt "patriarchal society." It has nothing to do with the demographic being sexist or racist. It has everything to do with being anonymous and being an asshole "for fun," as most people think in their minds that they "really want to do" but refrain from. And, being anonymous, allows them to fulfill that wish without it actually being tied to them.

Yinello wrote:
> Says equality is a warped and demented ideal

Why are you attempting to greentext somewhere that doesn't support it?

And nice job trying to imply my argument is something that it isn't.

First, I didn't mention anything about equality. I ctrl+f'd to make sure, your post is the first to mention it.
However, since you brought it up, that statement is technically correct.
"Equality" means different things to different people. Its also holds varying degrees of definitions in the law and can vary from country to country if not state to state.
To attempt to claim otherwise is foolish and mislead.
(and by definition, no one is equal and a society that limits or forces an "equality" is the definition of a dystopia)
But really, as much as I could go on and on about philosophy, it's an incredibly dumb subject and as I said - I never once mentioned equality. That was you.

Quote:
> Believes people who pay more are granted more rights than others

> Thinks gamers and games are equal to everyone

First, it's not about rights with who pays more. It's more about the right of the developers to choose their audience and who they pander to.
The fact that they often choose the market worth more money isn't much of a coincidence.

Second, again, I never mentioned equality. Moreover, I never mentioned how one person treated another either. You're just projecting your expectations of an argument when they don't exist.

Third, while it's a rather trite mention, games do in fact treat everyone equally. They're inanimate objects. They don't really treat anyone... in any way at all actually. They just sort of exist.
Now, if you have an issue with their message I can understand, but that's the developers. Not the game itself. But that just goes back to the original point of "if you don't like it, ignore it."

Quote:
So either Wolfo is an escaped government experiment or just suffers from another case of delusional dinglebro.

I expect this thread to become 20 pages or so. Don't dissapoint me guys.

I honestly can't tell if you're legitimately... as you present yourself, or if you're simply pretending to be an idiot and are posting here in an attempt to seek good company.

PS: Threats of acts of violence are not covered under free speech. Anyone claiming it is aren't versed in any form of law.
swicked

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
Oh Minique, I so totally understand. It's why I prefer to spend my free time in my house, a controlled environment where I can do what I want without facing patriarchal bullshit unless I look it up on the internet. (Sadly the same can't be said for games - you'll get it even if you don't say a word.)

Yeah, I think that's one of the problems. The patriarchy effect is reflected a thousand times stronger on the internet, in games and TV... in all media, really, compared to that which you'll typically experience by simply going out your door.
Being a shut-in, if anything, should probably warp your perception of it.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfo wrote:
Yinello wrote:
(Sadly the same can't be said for games - you'll get it even if you don't say a word.)

Because something with a primary audience and a completely different demographic than your "special snowflake" group should still pander and befall to your incredibly warped and demented ideals.

Yes. I agree with your statement.

Fucking video games and their predominately male-supported-audience. How dare men be catered to for being the most willing to spend money.

Go fucking play in traffic you sack of shit.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want a sisterhood and granny to come rescue me with baked goods and care on days like that. Sad
Kjralon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Wolfo is the dumbest person I have ever seen write something on this forum. Yes, I am keeping Rothide in mind.

I am a woman who plays video games and the people I play with don't know I'm female -- but I STILL have to hear and am hurt by the rape jokes and the constant sexist conversation and discrimination that occurs. It sucks, a lot. And the few times I've spoken up and said that it made me uncomfortable, the only response I (usually) get is, "Are you a fucking woman? Do you want to get raped too?"

Gamers are a special breed of misogynist assholes.
Wolfo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:

You first, mr edgy mc edgemaster "I have to have a curse word twice a sentance and here my signature will double flick people off for even more attention xD"

Seriously, overuse them that much and they lose all meaning.

Kjralon wrote:
Wow, Wolfo is the dumbest person I have ever seen write something on this forum. Yes, I am keeping Rothide in mind.

Maybe you should check the mirror.
Your generalization skills and "I have to take everything serious" skills are astounding.

Quote:
I am a woman who plays video games and the people I play with don't know I'm female -- but I STILL have to hear and am hurt by the rape jokes and the constant sexist conversation and discrimination that occurs. It sucks, a lot. And the few times I've spoken up and said that it made me uncomfortable, the only response I (usually) get is, "Are you a fucking woman? Do you want to get raped too?"

Tip for you.

Just because you choose to associate yourself with teenagers(that you have the choice to not associate with) does not mean you are allowed to generalize everyone to be exactly the same.

Or wait. Are you one of those people that join a public server and then not only do you read the public chat, do you take it seriously?
If that is the case, just stop playing online video games. It is not your thing. Quit forcing yourself into something you do not enjoy.

Also, whether you like it or not, the word "rape" has multiple definitions.
Just like cock, ass, fag, dike, etc. It can and does mean different things in context.

Quote:
Gamers are a special breed of misogynist assholes.

No.
They are assholes. The "misogynist" is your placing yourself as a sex above everyone else and claiming your special. I assure you, the generalization does not discriminate.
baronskippy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, a child throwing a temper tantrum, quite the political statement.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaaawwwwww, did someone insult wolfo's special in-group

by

describing it

that's so sad

here, wolfo, have a cookie

there, there
*pats*

Last edited by Heretical Rants on Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
Wabi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
(Sadly the same can't be said for games - you'll get it even if you don't say a word.)

Hey! New here, so I've kind of been lurking instead of posting, but feminism and video games are a topic of interest for me, so~

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/ErnestAdams/20130823/198874/The_Designers_Notebook_We_Dont_Need_the_Haters_and_I_Can_Prove_It.php

The above is one of my favourite articles, explaining why it wouldn't be at all harmful for video game producers to expand their market a little bit and do a few of the things women gamers want.

But there are lots of games out there which challenge societal assumptions or just don't make the same mistakes as a lot of the more mainstream ones!

There's Borderlands 2, for instance! They made some pretty great strides. http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/community/articles/1077/inside-the-box-inclusivity

Or Portal, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Journey...all sorts of games that are more inclusive. Just be picky.
Flotsam

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:

Ah, insulting and belittling dissenters. How very un-patriarchal, indeed. Confused
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flotsam wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:

Ah, insulting and belittling dissenters. How very un-patriarchal, indeed. Confused

Yes because what I am is a social justice warrior, not just someone who is opposed to the endless string of whiny jackasses rollin in to complain and troll.

And seriously Flotsam, do you even have a clue what patriarchal means? You don't just get to fold something aggressive into the term and assume it applies.

You ignorant shit.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We haven't had a good 20-pager in a while.

This thread has promise.
Istancow

Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone deserves a day off once in a while. A day to sit around and eat snacks and watch movies and read and not do strenuous things, or spend some quality time with people you like, or go out and do something fun and wild to relieve tension.

Vacations are good. It strikes me as unfortunate that so many people are expected to work as much and as hard as they do.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfo: Are you Dan Kim or just a fan of clone manga? Just wondering.

Just for the record, and I think I'm not alone here, I find the majority of your posts, both in content and subject matter, as well as the viewpoints presented, offensive to the point of being vulgar and obscene. The majority of your post does not seem to merely be taking a stance of immorality, but you seem to revoking the very idea and notions of morality, in short, you seem to be promoting amorality.

Last edited by Darqcyde on Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: