welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-Sep-14 "I don't wanna fight"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10262
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flotsam wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:

Go fucking play in traffic you sack of shit.


Ah, insulting and belittling dissenters. How very un-patriarchal, indeed. Confused


And this is the appropriate response, if you think it's not, two words: lurk more.

To put it another way, it's not belittling dissenters, it's yelling at a stranger who's walked into your house and taken a shit right in the middle of your living room.

Sure there's a sign on the front door that says "All welcome, come on in" but this isn't an all access pass that removes the need for any sort of social cohesion or normative standard to be set.
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://12ozlb.blogspot.com Now in book form: http://amzn.to/14E6OFy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Rune



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 1043

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Istancow wrote:
Everyone deserves a day off once in a while. A day to sit around and eat snacks and watch movies and read and not do strenuous things, or spend some quality time with people you like, or go out and do something fun and wild to relieve tension.

Vacations are good. It strikes me as unfortunate that so many people are expected to work as much and as hard as they do.


I would luuuuuuuuuuuv to take a vacation away from all the patriarichal bullshit, where I could just watch movies and play games and spend time with my friends and family without it rearing its ugly head.

(caps for emphasis for all the viewers at home, not to yell at the adorable Istancow:)

THAT IS THE FRAKKING POINT

*deepbreaths*
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10262
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just incase it gets buried:
Darqcyde wrote:
Wolfo: Are you Dan Kim or just a fan of clone manga? Just wondering.

Just for the record, and I think I'm not alone here, I find the majority of your posts, both in content and subject matter, as well as the viewpoints presented, offensive to the point of being vulgar and obscene. The majority of your post does not seem to merely be taking a stance of immorality, but you seem to revoking the very idea and notions of morality, in short, you seem to be promoting amorality.

_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://12ozlb.blogspot.com Now in book form: http://amzn.to/14E6OFy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Yinello



Joined: 10 May 2012
Posts: 2642
Location: Behind you

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wabi wrote:
Yinello wrote:
(Sadly the same can't be said for games - you'll get it even if you don't say a word.)


Hey! New here, so I've kind of been lurking instead of posting, but feminism and video games are a topic of interest for me, so~

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/ErnestAdams/20130823/198874/The_Designers_Notebook_We_Dont_Need_the_Haters_and_I_Can_Prove_It.php

The above is one of my favourite articles, explaining why it wouldn't be at all harmful for video game producers to expand their market a little bit and do a few of the things women gamers want.

But there are lots of games out there which challenge societal assumptions or just don't make the same mistakes as a lot of the more mainstream ones!

There's Borderlands 2, for instance! They made some pretty great strides. http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/community/articles/1077/inside-the-box-inclusivity

Or Portal, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Journey...all sorts of games that are more inclusive. Just be picky.


Hi Wabi, welcome to the forums! I'll make sure to check out that article thanks! I already know I'm going to like you.
_________________
Help. Help, my eyes are stuck from rolling so hard. Help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Istancow



Joined: 30 Jan 2013
Posts: 1053
Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Gearbox post made me feel warm and fuzzy inside...

I FEEL A DEEP, DARK WARMTH

EMBRACE THE FLAME

BURNING, MELTING GOODNESS

I HAVE THE SHINIEST MEAT BICYCLE
_________________
Skipper of the Chipper Clipper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mindslicer



Joined: 04 Sep 2006
Posts: 1791
Location: North of the People's Republic of Massachusetts

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Flotsam wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:

Go fucking play in traffic you sack of shit.


Ah, insulting and belittling dissenters. How very un-patriarchal, indeed. Confused


And this is the appropriate response, if you think it's not, two words: lurk more.

To put it another way, it's not belittling dissenters, it's yelling at a stranger who's walked into your house and taken a shit right in the middle of your living room.

Sure there's a sign on the front door that says "All welcome, come on in" but this isn't an all access pass that removes the need for any sort of social cohesion or normative standard to be set.


Of course, it's not actually anyone's house he's walked into (except Tat's), more like the turf a gang had claimed ownership of.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Monkey Mcdermott



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 3277

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindslicer wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:
Flotsam wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:

Go fucking play in traffic you sack of shit.


Ah, insulting and belittling dissenters. How very un-patriarchal, indeed. Confused


And this is the appropriate response, if you think it's not, two words: lurk more.

To put it another way, it's not belittling dissenters, it's yelling at a stranger who's walked into your house and taken a shit right in the middle of your living room.

Sure there's a sign on the front door that says "All welcome, come on in" but this isn't an all access pass that removes the need for any sort of social cohesion or normative standard to be set.


Of course, it's not actually anyone's house he's walked into (except Tat's), more like the turf a gang had claimed ownership of.


Aggs was still better at this than you.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10262
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, no turf gangs.

Just a bunch of squatters that the landlord tolerates for his own amusement and entertainment.

Mindslicer, neither you nor I are the most liked people here, or hell I wouldn't even categorize either of ourselves as even being 'liked', but I doubt many would disagree that we aren't part of the community as a whole.

My point was that people who come in and make trite comments should expect trite response.
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://12ozlb.blogspot.com Now in book form: http://amzn.to/14E6OFy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Istancow



Joined: 30 Jan 2013
Posts: 1053
Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consider it more that we are all regular guests at Tat's public gallery.

We all come in every day, and we stand around drinking wine, eating brownies and small sandwiches, and discussing the art (as well as other topics of interest).

We all have in common an interest in the art- that is why we are at the gallery.

But Tat's art in recent years has a certain theme and message, that attracts an audience primarily composed of those who appreciate that message.

Others disagree with the message- many of these people lose interest in the gallery, and stop returning to see Tat's new art.

Perhaps these people choose to nostalgically appreciate Tat's old art. Perhaps these people become critics of Tat's new art at other locations.

Perhaps these people return to the gallery and voice their dissent there. They enter, and they voice in many words, their disapproval of Tat's message, and their distaste for those who appreciate Tat's message.

These people will evoke the ire of the vast majority of the present audience- who, as explained before, are largely people who appreciate Tat's message.

It is, of course, a public gallery- but a public gallery that focuses its appeal to a specific audience. Brazen and aggressive contradiction of that audience is not forbidden, but it is impolite. You will not be kicked out, or barred from reentry- but Monkey may have some choice unfriendly words to say to you.
_________________
Skipper of the Chipper Clipper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Istancow



Joined: 30 Jan 2013
Posts: 1053
Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I think last time we had this discussion, I made more or less the same analogy with a dinner party instead of a gallery. I can't remember what thread, though.
_________________
Skipper of the Chipper Clipper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wolfo



Joined: 16 Aug 2006
Posts: 54

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Wolfo: Are you Dan Kim or just a fan of clone manga? Just wondering.

Just for the record, and I think I'm not alone here, I find the majority of your posts, both in content and subject matter, as well as the viewpoints presented, offensive to the point of being vulgar and obscene. The majority of your post does not seem to merely be taking a stance of immorality, but you seem to revoking the very idea and notions of morality, in short, you seem to be promoting amorality.


Simply a fan.

And you would be incorrect on my "view" of things.
I simply state the point that there are real and great social injustices in the world. The video gaming industry is not part of it.
And most particularly with the internet, nothing should ever be taken seriously. And whether you'd like to realize it or not, every one, including the big bad CIS white male, has been on the receiving end of your so called "threats." That one sex is not more special than another in that regard.

Maybe you should take off your tinted glasses and read my arguments for what they actually mean, not what you assume they mean.
Because hey, if you actually looked at it, you'd realize my largest argument is that no one is special. Do you know what that actually means? It means everyone, regardless of age, sex, race or orientation are equal and that they all share a great many deal of the same problems. At least, in the context of this argument - which is about the video game industry and in online gaming communities.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Istancow



Joined: 30 Jan 2013
Posts: 1053
Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it!
_________________
Skipper of the Chipper Clipper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Monkey Mcdermott



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 3277

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfo wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:
Wolfo: Are you Dan Kim or just a fan of clone manga? Just wondering.

Just for the record, and I think I'm not alone here, I find the majority of your posts, both in content and subject matter, as well as the viewpoints presented, offensive to the point of being vulgar and obscene. The majority of your post does not seem to merely be taking a stance of immorality, but you seem to revoking the very idea and notions of morality, in short, you seem to be promoting amorality.


Simply a fan.

And you would be incorrect on my "view" of things.
I simply state the point that there are real and great social injustices in the world. The video gaming industry is not part of it.
And most particularly with the internet, nothing should ever be taken seriously. And whether you'd like to realize it or not, every one, including the big bad CIS white male, has been on the receiving end of your so called "threats." That one sex is not more special than another in that regard.

Maybe you should take off your tinted glasses and read my arguments for what they actually mean, not what you assume they mean.
Because hey, if you actually looked at it, you'd realize my largest argument is that no one is special. Do you know what that actually means? It means everyone, regardless of age, sex, race or orientation are equal and that they all share a great many deal of the same problems. At least, in the context of this argument - which is about the video game industry and in online gaming communities.


Yes we haven't heard this argument a million times from other mouthbreathers who slithered in to snivel about the subject matter of sinfest in recent years.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10262
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfo wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:
Wolfo: Are you Dan Kim or just a fan of clone manga? Just wondering.

Just for the record, and I think I'm not alone here, I find the majority of your posts, both in content and subject matter, as well as the viewpoints presented, offensive to the point of being vulgar and obscene. The majority of your post does not seem to merely be taking a stance of immorality, but you seem to revoking the very idea and notions of morality, in short, you seem to be promoting amorality.


Simply a fan.

And you would be incorrect on my "view" of things.
I simply state the point that there are real and great social injustices in the world. The video gaming industry is not part of it.
And most particularly with the internet, nothing should ever be taken seriously. And whether you'd like to realize it or not, every one, including the big bad CIS white male, has been on the receiving end of your so called "threats." That one sex is not more special than another in that regard.

Maybe you should take off your tinted glasses and read my arguments for what they actually mean, not what you assume they mean.
Because hey, if you actually looked at it, you'd realize my largest argument is that no one is special. Do you know what that actually means? It means everyone, regardless of age, sex, race or orientation are equal and that they all share a great many deal of the same problems. At least, in the context of this argument - which is about the video game industry and in online gaming communities.


Ok you are just wrong and pretty much everything. First off, what you claim to be saying, and what your post say are two different things.

About 4 years ago the video game market overtook the DVD/BluRay market in terms of not only sales but profits, and the gap has only been growing. A simple google search literately produces hundreds of articles that supports this.

You can't say that the video game industry doesn't create real social injustices, it does. Something that large and influential does not exist in a vacuum. Again, simple google search, lots of results. Try, at least a little, to educate yourself before you inundate us with your logorrhea.

But you only care about spouting your ignorant bullshit, posturing yourself as a "whoa is me victim" when you are not. Your lack of empathy and compassion is so apparent it's ridiculous. The Dunning-Kruger effect doesn't even begin to scratch the shell of haughtiness hubris you've girded yourself in.

I'm not even going to try and explain how privileged you are, because I'm sure you will retort with something along the lines of "privilege is pseudo psycho babble bleeding heart feminazi garbage" or some other generic Limbaugh inspired shit.

Most importantly, you do not get to tell others how they are to react and not react, the world just doesn't work that way.

Lastly, as Monkey has said more eloquently: Troll harder, because we all already know that's what you're doing.

I'm not angry, I'm not upset, I just like to argue for no real reason, so if you think you are 'winning', just keep on trying. There's AT LEAST a dozen or more people here more capable than myself of ripping you a new metaphoric asshole for the shit your spewing, 'cuz apparently there's enough of it to warrant a secondary waste orifice.
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://12ozlb.blogspot.com Now in book form: http://amzn.to/14E6OFy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Wolfo



Joined: 16 Aug 2006
Posts: 54

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:

Ok you are just wrong and pretty much everything. First off, what you claim to be saying, and what your post say are two different things.



How am I wrong? Simply stating "you're wrong" doesn't do anything.


Quote:
About 4 years ago the video game market overtook the DVD/BluRay market in terms of not only sales but profits, and the gap has only been growing. A simple google search literately produces hundreds of articles that supports this.

You can't say that the video game industry doesn't create real social injustices, it does. Something that large and influential does not exist in a vacuum. Again, simple google search, lots of results. Try, at least a little, to educate yourself before you inundate us with your logorrhea.


And?
Why don't you go wage a war on porn. It's much more deplorable.
Or go wage a war on pimps. Prostitution is even worse.

Quote:
But you only care about spouting your ignorant bullshit, posturing yourself as a "whoa is me victim" when you are not. Your lack of empathy and compassion is so apparent it's ridiculous. The Dunning-Kruger effect doesn't even begin to scratch the shell of haughtiness hubris you've girded yourself in.


I never posed myself as a victim.
I did state that everyone is a victim, but that's slightly different.
And please, explain how the dunning-kruger effect is even remotely relevant to the conversation.


Quote:
I'm not even going to try and explain how privileged you are, because I'm sure you will retort with something along the lines of "privilege is pseudo psycho babble bleeding heart feminazi garbage" or some other generic Limbaugh inspired shit.


Or are you trying to claim the dunning-kruger in your own faux construct?
Everyone is "privileged." There is no such thing as "eqaulity." You are better at things than I am, I am better at other things than you are. Some people have better social skills than others. It's called fucking life.

If you want to live in a dystopia, be my guest. But I'll not be joining you on that ride.

Quote:
Most importantly, you do not get to tell others how they are to react and not react, the world just doesn't work that way.


Nor do you get to impose your values of right and wrong onto others and expect them to feel the same.


Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Yes we haven't heard this argument a million times from other mouthbreathers who slithered in to snivel about the subject matter of sinfest in recent years.


Put more effort into it, please.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group