welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-09-22: Garden of Eden
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
I was told - although I don't know if this is true, so don't go repeating it - that the use of epidurals in pregnant women to relieve pain took about 20 years after it become popular in other procedures because the Bible says the pain of childbirth is God's punishment to women, and was thus considered good or right or something else I don't understand because I'm an atheist.

Pshaw, we all know there's plenty of religious folks who are equally or moreso clueless. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Samsally

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
I was told - although I don't know if this is true, so don't go repeating it - that the use of epidurals in pregnant women to relieve pain took about 20 years after it become popular in other procedures because the Bible says the pain of childbirth is God's punishment to women, and was thus considered good or right or something else I don't understand because I'm an atheist.

Oooooh shit that is ringing some bells. Pretty sure I've heard something like that, too. Man, for all I know it was in that terrible 'easy reader' bible. Considering the source, it is a distinct possibility and would go a long ways towards explaining my reaction (and also my bone-deep fear of pregnancy).

This is unnerving. I don't really know how to react to it.
Istancow

Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says God, 'for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.'

'But,' says Man, 'the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. Quod erat demonstrandum.

'Oh dear,' says God, 'I hadn't thought of that,' and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

'Oh, that was easy,' says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
wait - are they sure those people weren't just the ones watching the miss america pageant?

Nah, this was way before that - though the Miss America reactions were stunning in their own way.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Source for pain in childbirth: https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Bible_%28King_James%29/Genesis#Chapter_3
Verse 16. Funnily enough, nobody cites verse 17 to say men can't eat sugar/spices.

Istancow wrote:
and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.

Not being British, I completely misunderstood that line for the longest time. When I learned it's actually meaning, I refused to correct that.
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genesis 3:16 is linked to in my post, but I appreciate anyone who will cite sources. Wink
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not surprising that people use the bible for their own gain and somehow tend to 'forget' about the parts that also outs them in a negative light. Just like any other written document really.
Samsally

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
It's not surprising that people use the bible for their own gain and somehow tend to 'forget' about the parts that also outs them in a negative light. Just like any other written document really.

Well, a lot of people are totally aware they do it, too. More than once I've been told to do that when I expressed my discomfort with religion in general. It's probably one of the most common responses.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mormon cousin posted this on facebook, i present it without comment.

Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to say rude words at whoever decided that having a balloon floating over the text was a bright idea.
Rune

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:

Gah, I thought I was free of that stuff here!

*cries, hides*

No, seriously, my online life has been dominated with this Ordain Women action lately. My own mother has written stuff like on that blog. It's been a complimentarian nightmare.

Fortunately, there were some developments in the comments with that particular blogger, the OW gals were persistent and respectful in engaging, and she eventually opened up to some more real discussion on the matter.

Unlike a certain OTHER blogger who I wish would remain nameless, but who has positioned herself to be a spokesperson for "real" Mormon women in the local news, and who is as condescendingly Dolores-Umbrage as they come...

So, yeah. If anyone at all wants to know anything else about the context of that post and its ilk, or about those of us who don't think like her, I gotcha covered.
Korladis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:

All I have to say is that I now regret eating breakfast.
Tekii

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:

...I thought there were woman in the priesthood already?
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune will know best, but my understanding is, if there are any, it's like women catholic priests - not sanctioned by the church hierarchy.

i just wish people would get that wanting to be equal does NOT mean wanting to be the same. it's especially sad in this blog because she does seem to understand a bit about the notion of equality for women. and yet she is apparently quite happy with the notion that her god has decided that half of his creation is inferior to the other half.
Tekii

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wait yes, I just looked it up. We have a few priests who are woman in Canada but they apparently aren't officially recognized by the Vatican and are threatened with ex-communication.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: