welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Today I learned....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really excited about that map. Wrath, Envy, and Pride follow a pretty close and strong major protestant denominational divide, with the blue areas being the "methodist band" going up into the lutheran-dominated center north.

Red in the aggregate of all data is primarily strongly associated with the SBC.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
I'm really excited about that map. Wrath, Envy, and Pride follow a pretty close and strong major protestant denominational divide, with the blue areas being the "methodist band" going up into the lutheran-dominated center north.

Red in the aggregate of all data is primarily strongly associated with the SBC.

Vague rambly story brought to mind from mention of the SBC. When I was 17 my dad moved to creswell where there's a particularly large congregation of southern style baptists. They had a very large fancy nice building, quite expensive, and that's exactly the sort of thing that pisses my dad off about religion nowadays. So when they came knocking at the door he was pretty clear that he had no interest in joining their congregation because they always seem to have money for nice new facilities but there's always such a problem with social program funding.

Two days later just a couple of minutes after dad and my stepmom left in the car to go to the store, two pretty blonde teenaged girls from that same church came knocking with a donation of one of those low energy lightbulbs to help their neighbors save on energy costs and help "bring the light" into their home.

For some reason that series of events in my life has always left me feeling a bit creeped out.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creeped out?

That's an effective recruitment mechanism you witnessed there buddy.

I'm more interested in how you responded to it.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:
Creeped out?

That's an effective recruitment mechanism you witnessed there buddy.

I'm more interested in how you responded to it.

I find the use of your teenaged daughters whom you've undoubtedly taught abstinence education as a lure to attract horny teenage boys to your church to be pretty creepy yeah.

My response was pretty lame though

"Um...yeah...thanks" *shuts door*

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never get people coming to my door. (Except that one guy at one AM that may or may not have been high and trying to break in... I guess he sort of counts.... er.)

Anyway, people don't do normal door to door at my place, so I always find the stories kind of fascinating.

When I was a kid I'd get bowled over easily by shitty tactics and just end up standing their spacing out until they left me alone. Mom would put 'em on the spot, though. I think they eventually started avoiding the house because of her, which is kind of delightful.

Had a college friend who would answer the door with only a towel wrapped around his waist and holding an obscenely large pink double sided dildo, though. He always had the best stories.
Jinx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, what?

I mean, I think that's funny as hell, but you'd almost have to sit around that way to be prepared to answer the door. I'd think by the time you disrobed, grabbed a towel and your door-answering-dildo, they'd have moved on.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you sat around in shorts and a t-shirt and kept your door answering towel and dildo near the door (say in the coat closet) you'd just have to pull off your shirt and wrap the towel over your shorts. I don't know how quickly one could do all that, but it's probably possible...

Anyway, today I learned that it's difficult to castrate hippos.

Edit: also, discreet penises.

Last edited by Dogen on Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
eureka00

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents always told me and my brother never to answer the door when we were home by ourselves unless it was a relative or friend. Usually it was just Jehovah's Witness people or some other church people going door to door. (they would leave a little flyer on the door usually)

On another note, I thought it was interesting that when we took our daughter trick or treating this year that one house gave her candy along with a little card talking about what Halloween was really celebrating etc. and other church stuff. So why are you even handing out candy then?
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because souls are just like flies!
You save more of them with candy than with acerbic lectures.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone I used to know had a perfect method. When the Mormon missionaries would come by, she would say, "I'd love to listen to you, but my lawn needs to be mowed," or some other chore. So they'd do the chore, she'd listen to what they had to say, and the cycle would continue for awhile. One day they stopped showing up for some reason.

Another place I lived, there was a Christian couple who were very interested in history and owned a lot of different translations of the bible (Including Aramaic, iirc.) So when some missionaries came to the door to say what they had to say, the couple were all, "Oh, really? Let's see what it says here," and they cross-referenced everything, educating the missionaries on translation errors. The next day some adults showed up and basically said, "You can think whatever you want, but please don't say stuff like that to our kids." Which I think would be an okay request to make if these people weren't sending their kids door to door to proselytize. The gall it takes to tell private people who didn't ask nor had any interest in being proselytize to how to react when missionaries are constantly sent by is pretty huge.

Presently, there are some young Mormon missionaries in my apartment complex. This wouldn't be a problem, except we get new ones all the time, so we have to explain over and over, "Don't pound on the door loudly for five minutes before leaving religious literature." I can handle answering and politely declining, but for fucks sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Another place I lived, there was a Christian couple who were very interested in history and owned a lot of different translations of the bible (Including Aramaic, iirc.) So when some missionaries came to the door to say what they had to say, the couple were all, "Oh, really? Let's see what it says here," and they cross-referenced everything, educating the missionaries on translation errors. The next day some adults showed up and basically said, "You can think whatever you want, but please don't say stuff like that to our kids." Which I think would be an okay request to make if these people weren't sending their kids door to door to proselytize. The gall it takes to tell private people who didn't ask nor had any interest in being proselytize to how to react when missionaries are constantly sent by is pretty huge.

In my experience, eagerly religious fundamentalists are not very self-aware of things like hypocrisy.
Samsally

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jinx wrote:
Wait, what?

I mean, I think that's funny as hell, but you'd almost have to sit around that way to be prepared to answer the door. I'd think by the time you disrobed, grabbed a towel and your door-answering-dildo, they'd have moved on.

Oh! I somehow missed this.

Well, I guess you'd have to know the guy? The odds of him lounging around naked with an enormous sex toy within easy reach was actually really high.

He was also the guy that just happened to have a (presumably unused) flesh-tube style toy. We discovered they stick to the ceiling when you fling them hard enough, which you could do by stretching it out really far and letting it go like a giant rubberband.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I learned about Coverture. Coverture dictated that married women were Feme Covert, and single women were Feme Sole. Feme Sole had many of the same rights as men, while Feme Covert were basically non-persons melded with their husbands. Because of Coverture, women were assumed at all times to be acting under the direction of their husbands. This means they were the same person, but one half of that person had no rights whatsoever.

So that law saying that spouses can't testify against each other did not actually originate from worries about people lying to protect each other. It originated from the idea that a person can't testify against themselves. Which is creepy rather than 'romantic,' as I have always heard it spoken of.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TIL that another name for a podiatrist is a chiropodist. Apparently some countries still use the term, or use them interchangeably, but in most places it's been usurped by podiatrist. I found a bit of research where a Canadian listed themself as a chiropodist. It's not the preferred term in the Great White North, though... I guess that author just thought it sounded cooler.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TIL that the health-wealth gradient has shown over and over for 40 years that there's a stepped increase (or decrease) in life expectancy as you move up (or down) the SES ladder - even when people from different SES engage in the same unhealthy behavior. Two people with health insurance, one upper class and one middle class, will probably have different life expectancies even if they engage in the same behaviors. And it's not a US thing. It's just a thing. First demonstrated in London.

So, if I learn nothing else in this epidemiology course, I've learned that if I want to live longer I should make more money. I mean, I already knew that, but now I know it's not just to be able to afford better health care (because London and the NHS), but because money has magic powers of life extension.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 12 of 18

Jump to: