welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Today I learned....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Felgraf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
TIL that the health-wealth gradient has shown over and over for 40 years that there's a stepped increase (or decrease) in life expectancy as you move up (or down) the SES ladder - even when people from different SES engage in the same unhealthy behavior. Two people with health insurance, one upper class and one middle class, will probably have different life expectancies even if they engage in the same behaviors. And it's not a US thing. It's just a thing. First demonstrated in London.

So, if I learn nothing else in this epidemiology course, I've learned that if I want to live longer I should make more money. I mean, I already knew that, but now I know it's not just to be able to afford better health care (because London and the NHS), but because money has magic powers of life extension.

My guess is it's simple *stress*? Once you have enough to know that, even if shit hits the fan, you can provide for yourself/your family, I imagine that takes a HUGE weight off.

If not, I wonder what the mechanism is.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:
Dogen wrote:
TIL that the health-wealth gradient has shown over and over for 40 years that there's a stepped increase (or decrease) in life expectancy as you move up (or down) the SES ladder - even when people from different SES engage in the same unhealthy behavior. Two people with health insurance, one upper class and one middle class, will probably have different life expectancies even if they engage in the same behaviors. And it's not a US thing. It's just a thing. First demonstrated in London.

So, if I learn nothing else in this epidemiology course, I've learned that if I want to live longer I should make more money. I mean, I already knew that, but now I know it's not just to be able to afford better health care (because London and the NHS), but because money has magic powers of life extension.

My guess is it's simple *stress*? Once you have enough to know that, even if shit hits the fan, you can provide for yourself/your family, I imagine that takes a HUGE weight off.

If not, I wonder what the mechanism is.

I expect stress is it. My health has taken a massive nosedive over the past few years simply because of hours being cut at my job and my worries about paying my bills, or at least ive developed serious stomach problems since then. Lying in bed worrying at night instead of sleeping isn't healthy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, there is more to SES than just money - it also includes things like education and social standing. which are things that might help deal with stress, but they probably mean just a healthier lifestyle in general - so you can afford better food (and to buy the vodka that isn't full of whatever toxic substances), you can live somewhere with lower levels of all sorts of pollution (including noise), you can afford to take vacations and in nice places (and fly first class, so you don't have to deal with being squeezed in with a bunch of people, which may mean you get fewer colds and other things that could be a drain on the immune system)....and on and on.

i'm personally hoping the education gets me somewhere, since i am never going to be rich. that, and the fact that i chose to be tall.
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, stress is the obvious answer, but the exact type of stress (or what causes the stress) seems to be important, too. People who make a lot of money can be under tremendous stress but still live longer. Find a list of the most stressful jobs (here's one, two, three) and you'll see a mix of income levels.

Several things seem to be combined into a single phenomenon of chronic stress. Environment generally may play a role, but rural people (who you would expect to suffer less traffic, less noise, less crowding, and more green space) don't live longer than people in urban settings. At least in the US. One thing that does seem to help is the power of choice. People who are under stress by choice, or who maintain a sense of control over their work and life schedules (such as often comes with higher SES), have lower levels of stress hormones (cortisol) than people who are under stress but have no power (a janitor being constantly hounded to do his job faster, for instance). This may be because the feeling of control changes the perception of stress. Another is a sense of safety. Even with stressful jobs, people who feel safe in their homes report less stress and have lower blood cortisol levels than those that don't.

But those are just two things, and comparing the lives of people across different SES's include innumerable other variables that differ. So, for the moment, make money and stay healthy are the best we've got.
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TIL that words in writing have the most power in the business branch.

It's easy to call a company and ask them for information that you need. But it's just as easy for the employee to slip up and say things that aren't completely true. If it's very important, ask them to mail you exactly what you discussed with them because you will need it.

In this case, I am the employee. I don't know if I slipped up - it's been a long, long time ago and I get called a lot with the same subject. When the client said that I said x instead of y, I was really surprised. And no matter how much I think about it, I just don't know if I really said x. In the end, there's no proof I said x because we didn't share emails or letters. At best the client can check voice recordings if they even have one in the first place.

It might seem nasty but the moment you decide to end a membership with a company, they stop being your best friend. They will try to pull any money out of you if they legally can. I don't necessarily agree with this - nor do I agree with our practice of hiding our cancellation policy so much - but unless the client can convince the higher-ups or obtain proof, they will have to pay.

It's a lesson for me in realizing how important it is that I ask people to email me with information, especially concerning money.
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd never thought of it before, but in the past I've had people email me after a phone conversation and say something like, "This is just an email to recap what we discussed on the phone," or the like. Now I see why they do it.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is always good to have a record. i work with people who send out emails after meetings, to summarize what was covered and who is supposed to be doing what - even if i already have it in my notes, it's good to see it confirmed so i know we are all on the same page.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I learned 29 things about my town.

http://blog.estately.com/2014/01/29-things-to-know-before-moving-to-bellingham/

(The hamster thing is not true, though. We do call ourselves hamsters, and many of us love Seattle.)

I also got to see the mythological 'Canadians buying tons of milk.' Was kind of shocking and neat.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that a burrito made with lefsa?! *grabby hands*
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Casa burritos have potatoes that are battered and fried before being put in the tortilla with crack sauce. They're also gigantic, easily two meals. So it's okay if you only get two.

It doesn't mention coffee roasters, though... Black Drop makes the best coffee I've ever had ("the Darkness").

Edit: I like that they mentioned the limited Sunday bus service under "the county," because it's their fault. Wink
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Drop is awesome! Nit sure if Maniac Roasters is still arpund, though, haven't seen their sign in awhile. They supply the coffee to the Blavk Drop.

Samsally, if you ever visit, I will get you one of those burritos. Smile And probably offer you a tiny finger puppet.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a lefsa burrito has definite possiblities, though. although around here i would need to make my own lefsa.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh! i just learned that my car insurance covers windshield repairs, and that they can repair a windshield even if a chunk of glass is missing. i guess in the following weeks i will learn how well such things hold up.

i also learned that such repairs don't make the cracks invisible. why did i think they did?
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once bought a used car with a cracked windshield, and couldn't even get it insured until it was completely replaced.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, was the crack larger or smaller than a quarter? or possibly a dollar bill?

all the glass people said if it was smaller than a quarter, they would be able to repair it, but the insurance adjuster asked if it was smaller than a dollar bill. apparently the insurance adjuster had more faith in repairs than the guys who actually did the work.

fortunately, mine was smaller than a quarter (just barely).

one does learn the oddest things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 13 of 18

Jump to: