welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Today I learned....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ennis wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
There is an Ennis clone in Springfield.

What?

One of them got away!

Last edited by WheelsOfConfusion on Sat May 31, 2014 4:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ennis wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
There is an Ennis clone in Springfield.

What?

Way more ennis clone than the nude model at least, granted I saw them across a busy bus station, and i have no idea how old that cosplay pic you posted was but ...spitting friggin image.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that old, it was only the beginning of this year. That's weird. Imagine if everyone had a totally unrelated twin somewhere in the world. I guess there's only so much lack of repitition you can have when there's 7 billion people who largely stick within certain parameters.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 billion humans with all the genetic variation of a far less populous species
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ennis wrote:
Not that old, it was only the beginning of this year. That's weird. Imagine if everyone had a totally unrelated twin somewhere in the world. I guess there's only so much lack of repitition you can have when there's 7 billion people who largely stick within certain parameters.

You don't have one of those attack on titan scout team jackets do you? Because then i'm outright calling doppelganger.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha no I do not, though I do like the show. But speaking of Attack on Titan and doppelgangers, there's this person in second-year animation at my uni who must be a Levi cosplayer because they have the haircut, wear the jacket and are the spitting image of him. I'd seen them around a few times and then somehow we ended up in the elevator together, and I finally caved to my desire to start humming the opening song. Fortunately they thought it was hilarious.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supposedly I had a twin on campus when i was in college and everybody told me the only reason they knew it wasn't me was because she often wore a pink hat and nobody could imagine me ever wearing a pink hat.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:

Wasn't there some anthropological prehistoric event that dramatically narrowed the gene pool of the human race?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a theory that the Toba super-eruption did exactly that, but no one is really sure.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought we were almost wiped out by disease, so there were only a few thousand people left.

Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to my knowledge, but then this isn't my area of expertise.

Thinking on it though, I have a hard time picturing a disease virulent to do that much damage, but slow acting enough to spread effectively (pre-globalization at least).
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... the term for covering a book in human skin is "anthropodermic bibliopegy."
Sam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Heretical Rants wrote:

Wasn't there some anthropological prehistoric event that dramatically narrowed the gene pool of the human race?

a few. the most serious iirc was the cataclysmic volcanic eruption in sumatra that left lake toba behind

the human race probably got whittled down to less than 2000 during that event, and our relatively low genetic diversity is a result of that. it was the greatest of our bottlenecks, for sure
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bottleneck is one of the main reasons why we're too genetically similar to make "race" a meaningful distinction among human beings.

And if we were going to try doing that, we'd have to put nearly everybody who isn't African (and most North Africans) into one race, and split up the continental African populations into one or more separate races.

African populations are the oldest and deepest human populations around. Consequently, they have more genetic diversity among themselves than all non-Africans put together. What's more, nearly all traits present in non-African populations are also present in African populations, but the converse is not true: Africans have many more distinctive genetic traits not shared with non-Africans.

If we were going to start applying the scientific, biological concept of "race" to Homo sapiens, it would not look at all like the traditional social meaning of the term. Asians, Australian aborigines, Egyptians, and lily-white Nordic folk would all be variations within the same race.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eugène François Vidocq was the inspiration for Jean Valjean, Javert, August Dupin, Sherlock Holmes, and a host of other characters. He is ridiculously fascinating, and it is so odd to think he was a real person.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eug%C3%A8ne_Fran%C3%A7ois_Vidocq

Also, raspberry, strawberry, and vanilla flavorings used to come from Castoreum, a secretion from beavers - from a sac right next to the anal glands. Apparently it's too expensive to get nowadays, so there probably isn't much of it in the modern food supply. Probably.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 17 of 20

Jump to: