welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Today I learned....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
It looks like it depends on the size of your slinky (doesn't it always? *sigh*).

My issue with slinkies was that they never cleared the steps. They'd go a few, but would inevitably hit the lip of the step and fall over.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
what the fuck is wrong with the last two pages of this thread

We went on a journey of discovery where we learned about some of the flaws of phpbb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Sam wrote:
what the fuck is wrong with the last two pages of this thread

We went on a journey of discovery where we learned about some of the flaws of phpbb

*this specific ancient version of phpbb

I don't think Tat's ever updated this forum in any way, except for when that one template file got deleted, but I really don't think that counts

this forum still runs phpBB 2.0.something, which hasn't been officially supported since 2008 and relies on an old unsupported version of php

update: I tried it out and can confirm that phpBB no longer has this problem

in any case it's a very specific error that only turns up when the user makes a derp
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I learnt that I have no idea how to fill a timesheet out.

Especially when said timesheet has to be submitted on the 11th but covers from the first till the 15th.

I'm gonna need my DeLorean for this one.
TIAB

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned that many people haven't realized that one of the oldest traditions of Western culture(s) is stealing traditions from other cultures.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
Especially when said timesheet has to be submitted on the 11th but covers from the first till the 15th.

yeah, i just love systems like that. we used to have paper timesheets that you turned in once a month, at the end of the month.

then they switched to a computer system, where we had to turn them in once a month - usually before the middle of the month. but it was more efficient and saved paper because it was all on computer! (except it took them something like 3 years to trust the new system, during which time we had to turn in both the old-style timesheet and the new-style one, printed out and signed. up until the last day of the system, we had to turn in a printed out and signed timesheet. so much for a paperless system.)

now we have biweekly time sheets; i got the notice yesterday for the one that covers through saturday (the 12th). just turned it in; i have learned from past experience that if i actually wait until friday the system shuts me out. but at least i don't have to print it out! even though that would have let me file a late time sheet.

and what makes this really hysterical is that i am on salary, so all i'm doing is tracking vacation and sick time. which makes no difference to what i get paid, they just have to track it. so there should be no problem waiting until after it actually happens...or at least, i would think it would be easier to wait, rather than have to go back and update it if i do, for example, suddenly come down with something. which now means i would have to report an amendment to my last time sheet on my next time sheet.

but at least now i only have to predict whether i will get sick over the next 3 days, rather than the next 2 weeks!

.... i love progress.
Jinx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your work hours, do you charge everything to a single code / string?

I'm salaried too, but I have to track the time I spend working on a number of different projects / programs by recording the time to different charge strings, so that the cost of "Me" is properly allocated to the various activities.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, i'm usually on multiple grants, but that gets tracked internally somewhere else. actually, the last timesheets used to show what budgets i was on - so i'd be 30% on grant A, 45% on core, 25% on grant B, stuff like that - but all i had to do was report that i took 8 hrs sick on such-and-such a date, and they would automatically apportion things between my funding sources. i've never directly tracked hours worked on each grant.

now, however, i submit things under 'accounts', which are attached to names - one is my supervisor (but not all the grants i am on are her grants), and one another woman i work with, but whose grants i have never been on (and whose account page is now inactive). the person i work mostly for (the big boss) doesn't have an account page. the system is completely opaque to me.

it's always been a bit odd - frequently i am doing work for grants that haven't yet been funded (so can't pay me), or am being paid off grants that have started, but have not yet produced the data i work on. it tends to have less to do with what i'm actually doing, and more with who has money. i'd go absolutely bonkers if i had to track everything by budget - half the time i don't even know what project it's for. (the big boss is a great one for popping in with new ideas, which could turn into grants or papers or presentations or any combination of the above or nothing at all, depending on how the analysis comes out and what feedback he gets.)

i keep getting paychecks for the right amount, so i've given up worrying about it.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One Direction does a cover of Wheatus' Teenage Dirtbag Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
One Direction does a cover of Wheatus' Teenage Dirtbag Crying or Very sad

I'd post a big no, but I realized that, while that sounds unpleasant, I can't make myself care about it and I will probably never even hear it.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I learned that there was once a microwave that you could give a set of directions to, that it would follow throughout the day. So you could order the microwave to defrost something, wait a bit, cook it, then hold that food at proper temperature until you got yourself home to eat it.

Sad I demand to know why we no longer get this kind of service from a microwave? By now we should have microwaves that can 3d print whatever it is we want to eat before we know it. (Hint: Pizza. Pizza is always the answer.)

The microwave cookbook I picked all this up in was for an Amana Radarange, which is apparently the first type of household microwave ever. In 1945, they cost approximately $5,000 ($52,000 adjusted for inflation.) In 1954 they cost $2,000 - $3,000 ($25,000 today). Couldn't find the prices for 1980s (where the book came from.) And today I whine because I would like to find one for cheap, but the lowest priced decent ones are $50. Perspective is helpful.

This is the second microwave cookbook I've found, and I am shocked that no one seems to make microwave cookbooks anymore. Just about everyone has a microwave, and while a lot of things about microwaved food suck, there are actually ways to make it taste decent. Maybe. I don't know, because I haven't tried out the recipes yet. I'm afraid to.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Today I learned that there was once a microwave that you could give a set of directions to, that it would follow throughout the day. So you could order the microwave to defrost something, wait a bit, cook it, then hold that food at proper temperature until you got yourself home to eat it.

Sad I demand to know why we no longer get this kind of service from a microwave? By now we should have microwaves that can 3d print whatever it is we want to eat before we know it. (Hint: Pizza. Pizza is always the answer.)

The microwave cookbook I picked all this up in was for an Amana Radarange, which is apparently the first type of household microwave ever. In 1945, they cost approximately $5,000 ($52,000 adjusted for inflation.) In 1954 they cost $2,000 - $3,000 ($25,000 today). Couldn't find the prices for 1980s (where the book came from.) And today I whine because I would like to find one for cheap, but the lowest priced decent ones are $50. Perspective is helpful.

This is the second microwave cookbook I've found, and I am shocked that no one seems to make microwave cookbooks anymore. Just about everyone has a microwave, and while a lot of things about microwaved food suck, there are actually ways to make it taste decent. Maybe. I don't know, because I haven't tried out the recipes yet. I'm afraid to.

As for a programmable microwave that works throughout the day, I'd imagine food wouldn't taste that great after being microwaved ALL DAY LONG. Not to mention the inside of the microwave probably gets pretty gross.

As for 3D printed food, it's been done, but the food has to be in a dough-like format and usually doesn't taste that great.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm choosing to live in the fantasy world where company promises are actually all real.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, come on, if you want the fancy timing/directions then you can just take a regular microwave and hook it up to any computing device
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I learned that Pikachu is a mouse type pokemon, and is not, in fact, a pika, nor any other sort of lagomorph, but rather a rodent (chuchu) that goes 'pikapika'

in short, a glowy yellow electric squeaker that inanely repeats the onomatopoeia for those things, not an Ochotonidae that squeaks and inanely repeats the same pika pun

makes sense
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 4 of 20

Jump to: