welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-10-06 Loneliness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geareye wrote:
swicked wrote:

Agreed. With everything.
There can be no kindness for monsters. If what it takes to make them not hurt others is to clip their claws, remove their fangs and poison them to all they could enjoy... then that's what must be done.
Maybe, once Slick completely conquered this side of himself, Sleaze can re-join him so that they can be a single, whole person.

If we are willing to be as monstrous as necessary to deal with a monster, then what makes us different from him/her? That he/she stroke first?

It's struck first, but the point is actually a good one. It reminds me of why I enjoy Titan so much:

Quote:
If there's anyone who can bring change, it will be someone willing to sacrifice what they care for. It will be someone who can throw aside their humanity, in order to defeat monsters. Armin Arlert

I don't know which option you should choose. I could never advise you on that... no matter what kind of wisdom dictates you the option you pick, no one will be able to tell if it's right of wrong till you arrive to some sort of outcome from your choice. Levi

to which the corollary is:

The difference in judgement between you and me, originates from different rules derived from past experience. Levi

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Valerie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a bit off-topic, but I saw a few people talking about A Clockwork Orange, and I sorrrrt of want to read it, but when I found out there was rape in it, that kinda scared me away. For those who have read it: is the rape described graphically, or is it a sort of discretion-shot thing? I can probably read it if it's not too detailed.

Anyway, on-topic, I had the same thought as ShadowCell. Crim is still posing!? o_o I hope he at least got a break.

I don't know whether to feel bad for Sleaze or not. Is he alone because he's been bad, or is he bad because he's alone? Kind of a chicken-and-egg thing.

Chat About
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerie wrote:
This is a bit off-topic, but I saw a few people talking about A Clockwork Orange, and I sorrrrt of want to read it, but when I found out there was rape in it, that kinda scared me away. For those who have read it: is the rape described graphically, or is it a sort of discretion-shot thing? I can probably read it if it's not too detailed.

Anyway, on-topic, I had the same thought as ShadowCell. Crim is still posing!? o_o I hope he at least got a break.

I don't know whether to feel bad for Sleaze or not. Is he alone because he's been bad, or is he bad because he's alone? Kind of a chicken-and-egg thing.

I'd normally never say this but you might try watching the movie instead of reading the book. It was made back in the sixties or something so the violence and rape scene are all a lot more toned down than you'd find in movies or tv today.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Valerie wrote:

I'd normally never say this but you might try watching the movie instead of reading the book. It was made back in the sixties or something so the violence and rape scene are all a lot more toned down than you'd find in movies or tv today.

Except you'd still need read chapter 21, the ending, since the film leaves it out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Homeslice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:

Really?

I didn't think it was all that toned down at all. Well, maybe compared to the book it was...
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really digging the fancy cloud backgrounds, Tat.
TerseRiddle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:

Thank you for putting into words why I dislike the main character in Clockwork Orange so much.

As for Sleaze, I also don't have much sympathy for him. He is Mr Hyde, the evil persona that tries to make life worse for Slick.

I really don't like the comparison to Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde... Even though Mr. Hyde was a monster, Dr. Jekyll was the one who created him. Despite seeing what Mr. Hyde has done, he refused to stop taking the potion that turned him. He didn't try to stop until it was too late, and Mr. Hyde simply came out whenever Jekyll slept.

Who is more at fault? The monster, or the person who created it?
Dr. Jekyll is more at fault than his creation... and isn't it still him?
So to me this wouldn't be the best direct comparison, or people should still be blaming Slick for creating Sleaze in the first place.

shit... wow... I just realized something while typing this post... Sleaze comes out when Slick is asleep, just like Mr. Hyde did.

Dr. Jekyll couldn't control Mr. Hyde's actions, but he could control when Hyde came out... rather than stopping, he kept using the potions until he didn't even have that control over the transformation anymore.
Yinello

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did Slick create him though? Because I remember Sleaze appeared because of a certain BOMF-ing, but I can't find the comic anymore.
TerseRiddle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
Did Slick create him though? Because I remember Sleaze appeared because of a certain BOMF-ing, but I can't find the comic anymore.

True enough. Sleaze is Slicks dark side like Mr. Hyde is Dr. Jekyll's dark side, but Slick wasn't the one who made them into two separate entities.
Echo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:

Echo to the rescue!

Free Hugs 4:

Rising_Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is probably feeling this way because his counterpart feels like this as well. Slick has repeatedly expressed how he would like more attention (to be specific, he would like more time with his friend 'Nique) and the fact that he is not getting it is making him feel isolated.

He is surrounded by people but he feels alone. Hence in the 'mirror' he is all alone.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Valerie wrote:

The movie is much less graphic than the book.

I would give both a pass if you are uncomfortable with depictions of rape. The book is very graphic, the movie less so. But it still involves some pretty horrific stuff (including rape involving minors).
TerseRiddle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do wonder if we'll ever see that teal? devil girl again...
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only feel bad fir him in the sense that he might be a separate entity from Slick who is doing what he was created to do. I don't like him or think he should stick around. I just don't like people to be lonely and isolated.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My philosophy teacher thought it was a good idea to show the Clockwork Orange movie to the class without any warning. I'm still mad at him for triggering one of my classmates.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: