Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Girl Culture
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MsFrisby

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Girl Culture Reply with quote

Anyone heard of this before?
http://www.zonezero.com/exposiciones/fotografos/girlcult/index.html

http://www.time.com/time/photoessays/girlculture/story.html
jsimpleton

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it makes me sad Sad.
PeteMoss

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't listen to the intervirews, but just reading the sidebars disturbed me.
I have a friend that to me looks skinny as a toothpick and she is concerned that she is having trouble getting into her size 3 clothes... that bothers me.
AfyonBlade

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The girl from American Beauty comes to mind.
My friends and I have sort of a sad game: if we spot a group of girls that are kind of fancied up, we all make age guesses. If both groups are in pedestrian mode, we ask them how old they are.
Results: You can't tell if a girl is from the age of 13 to 18 anymore.
With that 13 yr old commenting on how people thinks she's older, and is made a bit uncomfortable by it: why isn't it obvious to not dress up like you WANT these older guys to watch you like hawks(that photo above)?
I can see how they'd want to feel good by making themselves look pretty. Every now and then even I will throw on the collared, button down shirt and the $90 slacks. What has happened in the media and such that these girls are missing the fact that they are going too far, and making themselves look like teenage whores, which they probably then become?
Be Evil.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AfyonBlade wrote:
What has happened in the media and such that these girls are missing the fact that they are going too far, and making themselves look like teenage whores, which they probably then become?

I'm pretty sure that just dressing to fit in doesn't automatically make girls teenage whores. Yes, a lot of times it seems young girls go too far... but to just associate how they dress with how they act is shallow. There are a lot of other pressures building up that can cause a girl to get into sexual situations before she is ready. That would not make me call them a teenage whore.

One of the girls in the slides even said.. "Life is definitely easier—while your beauty lasts. People, especially of the opposite sex, treat you better. But if you’re a beautiful girl, there’s a tendency for people to assume you’re not intelligent". Some girls just go with the flow, I think, and that to me is one of the biggest problems that needs to be addressed. People need to learn that there -can- be something behind a pretty face, and the first people we should try to show that to is all the girls (and boys!) out there that are getting clumped into this catagory.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, playing with these for years makes them callow whores:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a big long post here but i realized that id get jumped on for posting it. In summary, I dont think underage girls should be dressing in a manner that attracts sexual appreciation from older men, specifically in such a manner as to be deceptive about their age. Its a whole can of worms with valid points on both sides, and my opinion comes from having BEEN attracted to some women (or so i thought) in the course of working my job at the pub only to find out after that they're sixteen and spending the rest of the day feeling sick to my stomach like i was some sort of dirty old man.

I accept that the reverse is blatantly unfair and you can throw the phrase sexist at me all you want, but this is a visceral gut reaction toward something that makes me uncomfortable and its highly doubtful any amount of logic you throw at me will make me more comfortable with it.
fjafjan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just think parents, aswell as the media and consumerist organisatoins should take their responsibility, people who are not mature to have sexual relationships should not be 'sexy', simple as that.

And overall women are way too sexyfied, Paris Hilton is the peak of that.
Quote de south park
"but what is it she DOES?!"
"oh she is a stupid spoiled whore"

Anyway, good link, even though it is sort of a well known phenomenon, part of a sexist society...
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
I had a big long post here but i realized that id get jumped on for posting it. In summary, I dont think underage girls should be dressing in a manner that attracts sexual appreciation from older men, specifically in such a manner as to be deceptive about their age. Its a whole can of worms with valid points on both sides, and my opinion comes from having BEEN attracted to some women (or so i thought) in the course of working my job at the pub only to find out after that they're sixteen and spending the rest of the day feeling sick to my stomach like i was some sort of dirty old man.

I accept that the reverse is blatantly unfair and you can throw the phrase sexist at me all you want, but this is a visceral gut reaction toward something that makes me uncomfortable and its highly doubtful any amount of logic you throw at me will make me more comfortable with it.

I used to fel this way to, but then I realized it's not my fault that I thought I was checking out a woman and not an underage teen pretending to be one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mouse

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The hierarchy of acceptable attributes is spelled out by one self-described Southern Belle, who prizes her "Southern-girl standards" above (almost) everything else. "I would rather be dumb than a slut," she announces, "but I would rather be a slut than be fat or ugly."

that just makes me so sad.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:

I agree that it is scary that girls are dressing like it... *shrugs* my only argument is that it doesn't automatically make them a 'teenage whore'... or any kind of whore, for that matter. I think it speaks well of you, that you dislike to see them dressed as sex objects, and I don't think it makes you sexist.
Dro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Fetus bingo"?
Azmoten

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game of the future.
Uncle Taylorbell

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.

One day, if Darwin is right, women might be smart enough to dress as they fucking please without being told they're pandering to male fantasy.

Am I rite guys?

*edit*

Just to quietly undermine my point, I admit, I didn't read the original post thoroughly. Hey, I'm one big joke. Okay?
flyingsquirrel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like dressing sexy because i like dressing sexy.

i try not to when i'm out and about going to shows and whatnot, but thats because i dont want to be TOO bad of jailbait.

but knowing you're hot is nice, it's not always about pandering to male fantasy.

i suppose the two tend to go hand in hand though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: