welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-10-14: Introvert Signal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FIRST!!!!!!!!!111!!!!11!!

Echo wrote:

Thank god for the web, where there are at least some spaces where people bother to read what you have to say, and it's not just all about being loudest or first with your opinions.

Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

srsly tho
I can relate to what Echo wrote there

the stuff before the part I quoted
Echo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
FIRST!!!!!!!!!111!!!!11!!
Echo wrote:

Thank god for the web, where there are at least some spaces where people bother to read what you have to say, and it's not just all about being loudest or first with your opinions.

Ha!

I did say *some* spaces. ;-D
Hydro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are eight types of introverts, so not every introvert would actually turn down that signal. However, some would come out and want to go back in, and I probably fall under that.
Yinello

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probably go out all excited, ask everyone to come disco dance the night away, realize they just want to get drunk and high and make out with others, be sad and go home to text chat with my good friends across the globe.

Holy shit Yinello no one asked you to write down your teenage life.
Istancow

Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just because they don't know how to disco.

I FEEL LIKE DANCIN
WOO
DANCIN
WOO
DANCE THE NIGHT AWAY
UNH
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hydro wrote:
There are eight types of introverts, so not every introvert would actually turn down that signal. However, some would come out and want to go back in, and I probably fall under that.

Are you, perchance, referring to the MBTI?

I should forewarn that I think the MBTI is crap.
Hydro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Hydro wrote:

Yes I am referring to the MBTI. Calm down, I am not trying to convert you to personality types. I am just not that kind of person, you aren't going to get gateway personal profiles from me.

And, also I was referring to this funny comic a little bit: http://24.media.tumblr.com/a017195edd67d071b0ac24f4cf32f93b/tumblr_mihfnzss1V1qzcv7no1_500.png
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hydro wrote:
Dogen wrote:
Hydro wrote:

Yes I am referring to the MBTI. Calm down, I am not trying to convert you to personality types. I am just not that kind of person, you aren't going to get gateway personal profiles from me.

And, also to this funny comic: http://24.media.tumblr.com/a017195edd67d071b0ac24f4cf32f93b/tumblr_mihfnzss1V1qzcv7no1_500.png

Did I not seem calm? I felt calm. But apparently you also thought that I thought that your reference to eight types of introverts meant you were trying to convert me. So maybe you're just a crazy person.

But, yeah... MBTI. Unscientific crap. Stick to the NEO PI-R. Social scientists will respect you more in the morning (no guarantees on whether they'll leave you their real number on the back of that "do not disturb" door hanger with the words "call me," though). Although it's also phenomenological (and adjectival - I never get to use that word) at heart, it's at least respected-ish.

The main problem, of course, being the chicken and the egg. Which adjectives do we choose to describe the most fundamental pieces of our personalities, and do the words we use to name them change the way we test them? And if the names change the way we test, are we testing whether neuroticism, extraversion, openness, agreeableness, and conscientiousness are fundamental to personality or simply that they exist as constructs within us that can be tested but which may be further subdivided? Are we 19th century physicians blaming everything on the five humors being out of balance? Do we need a Pasteur, Lister, and friends to teach us how the world really works? IS THIS ANALOGY NOW STRAINED? Chickens made up of germs... I think I lost my place. Where was I?

Oh yeah, the MBTI is crap. Here, have a germ theory denier.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....um.......

Holy shit, that link. AZT is too dangerous to take because it will kill you and AIDS won't.

Well! Now that I'm over that shock, no sense ever washing up again, and I guess this means I can finally eat putrid rotting meat just like the buzzards do. Oh, to live the dream!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it actually takes a deep misunderstanding of the history of science to believe. But distrusting "the man" sells books or whatever.
Hydro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I say that I'm not trying to convert you to anything, make a weak joke, and now I'm maybe a crazy person and I still managed to upset you enough for all that?

And I was trying to be nice about it....
Samsally

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hydro wrote:
So I say that I'm not trying to convert you to anything, make a weak joke, and now I'm maybe a crazy person and I still managed to upset you enough for all that?

Sorry dude, the only one taking this conversation seriously appears to be you.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taken the MBTI a couple times, and consistently return with INTJ, which I'd say is relatively accurate.

However, I will say that the lack of negative personality traits in the MBTI is a major shortfall (a comment from Dogen's article points out the lack of a calm-neurotic axis). Seriously, a personality quantifier shouldn't be afraid to tell you you're a prick.

It'd be interesting to take the HEXACO PI-R and see how it compares.
Hydro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Hydro wrote:

Sorry dude, the only one taking this conversation seriously appears to be you.

Heh, my knee jerk reaction with this forum is that the longer the reaction, the more likely it is unfriendly....

I guess fucking IT midterms and no sleep have fried my brain....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: