welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Marriage?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you feel about getting married? (Not to me, just in general)
I am a happy, happy married person.
15%
 15%  [ 12 ]
I am an unhappy married person.
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
I would definitely like to get married someday to the right person.
34%
 34%  [ 26 ]
I could be married, but I can also see myself just living with someone or dating too.
30%
 30%  [ 23 ]
I don't really want to be married. Someone would have to be seriously tricky to get me to marry them.
11%
 11%  [ 9 ]
The "M" word! *FLEE*
5%
 5%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 76

Uncle Taylorbell

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Oh, she's a ginger? Is it true they don't have a soul?

Oh, no, they're full of soul ... dark dank reddish evil soul. Soul as strawberry as Satan's pecs. A soul as 'summer blonde' as Nicole Kidman's sweariest pansexual allegations.
CTrees

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingsquirrel wrote:
well thats because they had half the life expectancy and women didnt have seperate life tracks.

I was thinking more, oh, thirty years ago than a hundred. Though you'd still have a bit of a point on "life tracks."
PeteMoss

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't vote because there was not an option that fit my situation.

I want to be married, but legally can't.

There are only two states that currently allow same-sex marriages and there are restrictions on residency before two men (or women) can be married to each other.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Married? I was married once. They locked me in a white room with worms. WORMS! I hate worms. They drive me married. Married? I was married once...
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
I like marriage in some ways, but if it was all the same to my partner I could be just as happy being in a long-term, committed relationship. Still, the legal angle would change as I got older, or if we had kids. Power of attorney and next of kin status would be important.

All great reasons and those are pretty much why my wife and I got married, that and we had to file chapter 13 and being married saved us a bundle. Also there's things like insurance and such. Not to mention the parental nagging, I mean I could just ignore my Mom about it, but it was nice to have her off my back. My wife and I both feel that a marriage is just a piece of paper.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
death_to_dib

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its funny that i came around this thread right as i was thinking about the subject. i'd love to get married to the right girl but then again the RIGHT girl isnt exactly easy to find. To many women in my experience try to change you and i just cant see being with someone who doesnt love me but who she thinks she can make me. I definatly do not want to be single for the rest of my life though, ive seen what that can do to people. Guy i worked with was pushing 60 without ever being married. He had NO social skills... he could stay on one subject for weeks. If he saw you 3 days later he took off from the last conversation. Only thing was he never said anything new... just rephrased what he had JUST said. The guy really needed someone in his life who actually gave a shit about his life. I dont know if i could ever get that bad but damned if i want to chance it.
Celaeno

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. Despite my incredible ego, I know I'm not perfect. I wouldn't be with someone who I didn't think made me a better person. I also wouldn't want to be with someone who was so stubborn that he insisted on clinging to all of his character flaws. My friend's boyfriend constantly apologizes by saying, "I'm sorry, that's just how I am. You know I'm an asshole." That's not an apology. Asshole though he may be, he either needs to change or she needs to dump him. If you know you're an asshole, fix it. And if you won't do it for yourself, do it for the person you supposedly care about.

No one's static. We might as well surround ourselves with people who can improve us.

I guess the key is to find someone who's going to change you in a way that you want to (or, at least, know that you should) be changed.

As for the guy you know, death_to_dib, could you be getting cause and effect backwards?
death_to_dib

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well first when i said women want men to change i really meant more along lines of personality and interests not character flaws. To clarify most women around here think that if a man is interested in anything besides beer and cars (two things that only mildly amuse me.) you're a mamas boy and a pussy. improvement is one thing and i totally agree that sometimes a mate can make someone generally a better person. A friend of mine in highschool came to school twice a week if it suited him... until he started going out with someone that made him study and helped get him on time. But when she decided his whole life should consist of nothing but supporting and cleaning up after her it became time for her to go. (the relationship went beyond highschool.) As for the guy i couldnt tell you all the intimate details of his life and what developed his personality but based on his behavior i got the impression he did what he did because he was lonely. His personal life consisted of 2 dogs and his mom. I probably shouldnt say he needed to get married... but he certainly needed more interaction than that.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to know that at some point that I was going to get married and have kids. I figured I would end up staying at home and raising the kids. Course, I didn't actually think about it, I just "knew" it. I was also assuming that I would always be in church and end up with some pious guy. I also didn't know what I was going to do after high school. I didn't think about that either.

Now I don't know. I have made so many changes in my life that I barely know who I am any more. I haven't been able to stay monogomous. I left college and then came back. I'm on meds that have changed me dramatically. How can I know what I want in a marriage, or if I want one? How can I know what I want in a guy? How do I know if forever with one person is possible?

I have to figure me out before I can figure out marriage. I guess I still want to get married but it may be a leftover meme. I don't know yet. I do, however, want to surround myself with people that challange me and respect me. I'll see from there.

I'm a big fan of romance though. ::grins::

Oh, and it doesn't matter how "macho" or "girlly" or anything else. It doesn't matter as long as the person fits.

Amon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I change drastically in the future:

Feiticeira wrote:
No.
Usagi Miyamoto

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

much

Last edited by Usagi Miyamoto on Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Valp

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to marriage and me the answer would be something along the lines of.
No. Nononononononononononono.

At least when it comes to church weddings. I mean, how can I ask for the blessing of a god when I don't believe in him/her/it?

Regarding those city-hall weddings. Maybe. It have to be a very special girl.
Willem

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I could be married, but I can also see myself just living with someone or dating too."

For me.

Marriage would be nice, but it's not necissary.
Snorri

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went for the "Flee" option....

sporko

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tbh, i'd like to get married asap because then i would be covered under his insurance. =D

obviously, this is not the only reason i'd get married.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: