welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Got any plans for your body?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guccipiggy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really care. I guess other people can have my organs, but being a smoker and having been a heavy drinker, I have to wonder what part of me could be of some worth to someone else.
crossbow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
edit :: and of course there's this

my ex girlfriend got to hold a brain.

i was jealous.
jeep

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarah thought i was really silly for thinking it was a nice design.. but i do kinda like this coffin made in Germany by Uono. It's a completely environmentally friendly design using materials that are both well-suited for cremation and wellsuited to burial. it's made to decompose in roughly 10-15 years without hurting the environment.

To top it all, it looks like an escape pod and is availabe in about a dozen cool colors!

http://www.uono.de/english/home.html
Usagi Miyamoto

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goldilocks.

Last edited by Usagi Miyamoto on Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Kitten

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crossbow wrote:
Michael wrote:
edit :: and of course there's this

my ex girlfriend got to hold a brain.

i was jealous.

i had to dissect a fetal pig for biology, and i got to hold its brain o.o
Rosie Bee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a psychology degree and we all got a human brain passed around. I think this was an attempt to go 'wow, psychology's cool, look how cool all the lecturers are with their brain in a box' since it contributed absolutely nothing to the degree course.

It was surprisingly heavy. And a bit wet.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: or whatever was going on here Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:
Potentially you could with cells harvested from the organ in question. but it's still theory as of yet.

Who's
theory?

Actually, I couldn't find it, but I swear to God I read an article about semi-successful attempts at cloning pancreatic tissue as part of some diabetes research. If I recall correctly, the main issues were controlling growth and sustaining the live tissue. It may have only been a small cluster of cells but it was tissue, even if for a short time, and I didn't think it too unreasonable to assume that eventually if tissue can be cloned than entire organs could be cloned too.

I mean it's already done with skin for burn victims. I mean grow it in a dish that is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kame

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: or whatever was going on here Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:
Potentially you could with cells harvested from the organ in question. but it's still theory as of yet.

Who's
theory?

Probably has something to do with this. It gets coolness points, and lot's of them, should it be legitimate.
Him

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want a viking funeral.
thewaitersitsondown

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why wait? Give me your address and I'll come set your house on fire!
Seraphine

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't use a house, set his car on fire and push it off a pier.

Edit: Honestly though props to ya Him for being the only other person I saw who wanted burial at sea.
Omega F

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudos to all those who are organ donors. For those who feel that their organs may be less than prime due to vices or other issues, don't let that steer you away from the program that I mentioned in the first post. Donating organs saves lives directly, immediately, and is a very worthy cause. The future doctors of the world need bodies to dissect and examine to make them competent practioners, however. It is less direct than organ donation, but the contribution is invaluable to human lives. I couldn't imagine learning anatomy thoroughly and effectively without seeing everything physically, how the nerves travel in the body, how the arteries travel, how everything functions so beautifully in a compact space, how every body is different but similar enough to provide the same function. Some medical schools stopped anatomy lab dissections and focused solely on prosections but quickly resumed because of how much of the medical knowledge relies on seeing and feeling and digging through for oneself. I think its a consumately important program and hope that people will consider it.

That said, I'd have to go Andrew FTW.
rm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe in my heart that the manner of my death will eradicate the need for the disposal of a body.
Snorri

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be interesting to hear about your death.

mouse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was figuring organ donation followed by cremation and then having my ashes scattered at sea - but then again, my philosophy (with cars, at least) is maintain them as well as you can, then drive them till they die - don't see why that wouldn't work for me too. in which case, my organs may be well past warranty when the time comes. so the cadaver thing actually sounds pretty good - especially since one place will do the cremation and ashes-at-sea thing for you. that's the main thing, i don't want to be rotting away in a hole somewhere. since i work at a medical school, guess i should check out what sort of plan they have.

....and omega - you're a medical student?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: