Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's Wrong With The World?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could go into the definition of insanity but I don't think that any jury would let a person off on a temporary insanity plea for that intense of a crime.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trustedfaith wrote:
Uh, staying on topic... the woman charged was the victim's friend, and even watched the children. So you think she just snapped and is now forever crazy or was crazy all along and knew how to hide it, or was sane then snapped into crazy mode and is now back to sane again? I'm not entirely convinced she's crazy.

Some people are just capable of fucked up crimes like this to cover their own asses. I'm not saying she's sane either, but she was sane up until this, and I don't like people using "temporary insanity" as their get out of jail free card.

I can see the fact that she claimed the fetus as her own as a big part of her sanity plea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
trustedfaith wrote:
Uh, staying on topic... the woman charged was the victim's friend, and even watched the children. So you think she just snapped and is now forever crazy or was crazy all along and knew how to hide it, or was sane then snapped into crazy mode and is now back to sane again? I'm not entirely convinced she's crazy.

Some people are just capable of fucked up crimes like this to cover their own asses. I'm not saying she's sane either, but she was sane up until this, and I don't like people using "temporary insanity" as their get out of jail free card.

I can see the fact that she claimed the fetus as her own as a big part of her sanity plea.

I didn't say she was sane or insane, but covering your ass doesn't automatically equal insanity either. There's another woman that is going to jail for attacking a mom and kidnapping the child as her own to pass off as her own.

This doesn't mean they're insane necessarily. They obviously have issues, but you can't say they're insane or sane by that factor alone.

I'm also doing the twitter thing; you should stalk/follow me: http://twitter.com/sillygurlroo
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you can't. But that won't stop a lawyer from trying.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kame

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhm, I hope I made myself clear enough, when I said padded white room, I meant it for the rest of her natural life. I may be overgeneralizing and all that jazz, but this woman is cracked, and there's no putting that egg shell back together. Lock her up, medicate her until the voices stop, and see if her brain can be partially salvaged, but keep her away from society.
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kame wrote:
Uhm, I hope I made myself clear enough, when I said padded white room, I meant it for the rest of her natural life. I may be overgeneralizing and all that jazz, but this woman is cracked, and there's no putting that egg shell back together. Lock her up, medicate her until the voices stop, and see if her brain can be partially salvaged, but keep her away from society.

And if there's no voices or crack in the shell?

I'm also doing the twitter thing; you should stalk/follow me: http://twitter.com/sillygurlroo
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
kame

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhm, then prison, for the rest of her natural life. That's the standard right? I don't think we need to denegrate into a "justifiable punishment" debate.
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kame wrote:
Uhm, then prison, for the rest of her natural life. That's the standard right? I don't think we need to denegrate into a "justifiable punishment" debate.

What she did is eligible for capital punishment. She very well could get lethal injection if they want her to.

kame

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this as my sig for a while, but here is goes, the paradox of capital punishment.

"If you support capital punishment, and your government executes an innocent person, then you too are guilty of murder, and you too deserve to die."

Seriously, Jen, I didn't want to get into this debate. But if you believe that killing another human being is okay, then fine, kill the woman. I know it sounds heartless, and I know it's tempting, but Capital Punishment serves no useful purpose, and underneath the emotional underpinnings, capital punishment is state-sanctioned murder.

It does not deter crazy people from killing, because, uhm, they're crazy.

It does not deter people who kill in moments of extreme passion, because right and wrong do not exist in those moments.

It does not deter those who kill for profit, revenge, or any form of personal gain because they are aware of the statute, and do it in spite of it.

Jen, do you really, really want to debate this? Because I don't.
Teh Digital Dragon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This story makes me sad, and I do not want the woman responsible to be killed.

And that's about as much as I can go into a debate about this. Sorry.
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kame wrote:
I had this as my sig for a while, but here is goes, the paradox of capital punishment.

"If you support capital punishment, and your government executes an innocent person, then you too are guilty of murder, and you too deserve to die."

Seriously, Jen, I didn't want to get into this debate. But if you believe that killing another human being is okay, then fine, kill the woman. I know it sounds heartless, and I know it's tempting, but Capital Punishment serves no useful purpose, and underneath the emotional underpinnings, capital punishment is state-sanctioned murder.

It does not deter crazy people from killing, because, uhm, they're crazy.

It does not deter people who kill in moments of extreme passion, because right and wrong do not exist in those moments.

It does not deter those who kill for profit, revenge, or any form of personal gain because they are aware of the statute, and do it in spite of it.

Show me where I stated that I support capital punishment. I said what the news story said, it's eligible by state law, to be considered for capital punishment. If you don't want to debate it, then don't. No one's putting a gun to your head and telling you that you have to.

Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capital punishment doesnt work because it isnt televised in all its gruesome horror to the masses.
dazedb42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Capital punishment doesnt work because it isnt televised in all its gruesome horror to the masses.

Is that why democracy doesn't work?
Marik

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject: murphy's Reply with quote

dazedb42 wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:

Is that why democracy doesn't work?

It's certainly why the sausage industry does work.
Feiticeira

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kame wrote:

Really? Because it looks like you're so eager to debate it you jumped right into an anti-death penalty rant the moment somebody used the words 'capital punishment'.

It was quite hilarious.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: