welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dec. 7: BEEP BEEP BEEP!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tricksterson

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
Ennis wrote:
I am really hoping that Tat is using the figurative sense of "dick" otherwise there are some pretty uncomfortable cissexist and transmisogynist implications.

Yeah, ehh... me too. Like honestly the first time the dick detector showed up I was uncomfortable. Like, I figured that Tat was using dick as a synonym for jerk, ... but it was still poorly named and it still made me uncomfortable. And it made one of my close friends really uncomfortable too. I wish he had called it the prick detector instead. It's not alliterative, but it rhymes with dick detector... eeugh. I do not want Tat going down that road.
Why not jerk detector? No, it's not alliterative but more importantly it's not sexiat either.

On another subject has Tess grown her hair out in back?
joandark

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tricksterson wrote:

Why not jerk detector? No, it's not alliterative but more importantly it's not sexiat either.

Well, "jerk" is short for "jerk off", referring to male masturbation so... kinda still sexist.

Why not an asshole detector? Everyone has an asshole. Has a better ring to it than "meany-meany-bo-beany detector"
Felgraf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To those going "Oh, I'm sure it's just a METAPHYSICAL dick", I do wish to point out that they've been hanging out in the Female Only Zone, and they *DID* have a "Guy detector"....
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Leohan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, you are all misunderstanding. It detects detectives. Setting itself off atm.

Seriously, though, yeah, connotations are not very good there. Douchetector would have been better.
enchantedsleeper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:
To those going "Oh, I'm sure it's just a METAPHYSICAL dick", I do wish to point out that they've been hanging out in the Female Only Zone, and they *DID* have a "Guy detector"....

I thought there's always just been one detector, i.e. this one?

Leohan wrote:
Seriously, though, yeah, connotations are not very good there. Douchetector would have been better.

Ah, but now we're into the realm of insults oriented around female genitalia (and the cleaning thereof), and we know the Sisterhood would never endorse that one.

Besides, what if someone walked through it with an actual douche?
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A guy detector is different because that has to do with identity. A dick detector, if not referring to mysoginistic sexis jerks, refers to genitalia. A space can be women only while being trans friendly, but it can't be trans friendly if it is based solely on the appearance of one's genitalia.

Hence why other posters are quite iffy about this page, but not about the other - because for the 'guy detector' to be transphobic, it must first be established the Sisterhood believes transwomen are men, while a 'dick detector' needs only to be proven it refers to actual genitalia. The latter is less ambiguous, hence it is uncomfortable.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question, last time was it refered to as "guy detector"?, I'm not 100% sure, can't recall exactly.

Because..uhm..."guy detector" and "dick detector" being interchangeable, no matter if it is a figurative dick or a literal has negative connotations. Different ones in each case, but negative in both.
Istancow

Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is so difficult about this? The Dick Detector detects Dicks. Simple.

Moor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... Okay, so this is why I love and hate this comic. Because he didn't listen to all the people saying "why did you suddenly get all feminist", and he's not going to listen when we want him to learn about trans people.

And it sucks, and it sucks, and it sucks.

I mean, is there anything we can do? Pro'ly not commenting here, pro'ly not email -- I'm sure he gets far too much email asking him to change his views.
Maybe I'll send one anyways. I'll apologize in it.

I wish there was something we could do.

(Edit: do people have a good basic trans*-people-exist intro link?)
tricksterson

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joandark wrote:
tricksterson wrote:

Well, "jerk" is short for "jerk off", referring to male masturbation so... kinda still sexist.

Why not an asshole detector? Everyone has an asshole. Has a better ring to it than "meany-meany-bo-beany detector"
We have a winner.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there is a difference between the people who were all mad about the feminism strips and the people who are talking about trans people. Any guesses about what I think that difference is?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't see it as our right to change Tat's mind, and we aren't claiming that we'll leave and he'll lose all his fans?
vector010

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Istancow wrote:
What is so difficult about this? The Dick Detector detects Dicks. Simple.

Gah, totally beat me to it.

For those not in the know... That is a picture of Richard from LFG.

And for those really out of the loop, "Dick" is a nickname for people named Richard

I'm gonna sing the doom song now. Doom dee doom doom doom...
Vancore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geareye wrote:
Question, last time was it refered to as "guy detector"?, I'm not 100% sure, can't recall exactly.

Maybe that's just what she calls it.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. The difference I have in mind is that the many waves of MRAs were coming from a place of privilege that he had just left, and were telling him to come back.

This stuff about trans people is coming from people who have at least some idea what they are talking about, and who are concerned about this very real problem of transphobia among feminists as well as most of society. Since Tat has shown an interest in unpacking his privilege and moving on from past bullshit, there is a chance he'll be interested.

I don't know what kind of 101 would be useful here, because Tat comments so not at all on trans people. Maybe something on TERF if he knows anything at all about trans folk. But it's hard to figure out what he does know. Currently he seems to be interested in exploration of gender roles, but ignorant of trans* and genderqueer - because the 'trans state' stuff sounds to me like things people with that mindset have said and done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: