welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dec. 18: Strong and Independant
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CalmBlueSea

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tricksterson wrote:
If he were to regain his Lil' E memories though, would he go back to being Lil' E or would he also have his memories as Lily? Unless something wiped out the Lily memories I don't think he could possibly go back to how he was.

I imagine it would depend on how Lily's progressed as character since the Lethe Incident. If he's really and truly learned why it's better to be good than a dick, he might be able to see those memories as a past self that he doesn't like, or at least want to resemble, anymore. But if not, than his psychology might learn all the same lessons he taught himself the first time around, and regress to a similar behavior pattern.

But who knows? It's Sinfest.
MerchManDan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lily's amnesia probably is permanent - until he eats of the Fruit of Knowledge. From there, I'm pretty sure he'd remember being Lil' E, but it wouldn't change him back to Lil' E.
Rising_Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
I can understand not knowing how you know certain things can be very confusing. I can also understand you'd feel 'empty'.

I do find it interesting that Tat is keeping this up, usually people with amnesia get it back in some way by now. Then again this is Sinfest.
I agree, it is an interesting story by itself. And let us not forget that Lil'E now has a friend proper. That is a big step in the right direction... Which makes it all the more paradoxical.
Echo wrote:
Rising_Phoenix wrote:

That is not to say you cannot see things from a different perspective - you would just a Lil'E is doing so - but is it really "you"? Are you acting like you are because this is the "real you" or are you acting this way because you no longer have any idea as to how to act in such situation?

Hmmmm. I'm not sure that you'd necessarily lose all knowledge of how to act in various situations if you lost your memories. You'd still have learned behaviours, but you wouldn't know what experiences had formed them.

I'd have to read up more on memory-loss-specific aspects of dementia care and similar topics to comment properly on this, though.

Let me clarify my position:

Suppose you encounter today a giant cat on the street. Suppose for the sake of argument that you, somehow, interact with it. The result of the interaction is burned into your memory: Now, each time you find a giant cat on the street you will have a basis as to how to act in that scenario. Your reaction will become more and more "casual" with each successive encounter... Up to the point that a giant cat on the street becomes something ordinary.

But what if you suddenly forgot all about it? Besides the shock of once more seeing a giant cat on the street for the first time (?), you would simply lack any idea of interaction with it. You could still try to interact, but you would so in a way your past self is unlikely to do in a similar scenario. I.e.: Running away screaming, whereas your past self would just say: "Oh, a giant cat on the street. How quaint."
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we talking real world or Sinfest world? I make no claims about the latter. In the real world, people with retrograde amnesia will retain certain types of memory, for instance how to open a door (called procedural memory). Depending on the reason for the amnesia (if they suffered trauma, usually where in the brain and how bad), they often maintain semantic memory (facts about the world, such as state capitals). So, you wouldn't remember meeting a giant cat, but you might remember they exist, just as you wouldn't go "my god, what are these things on my feet?!" on seeing your shoes. Whether you would have a script or schema for interacting with them would depend on the place and extent of brain insult, but note that people often don't lose social graces (eating with a knife and fork, smiling when people smile at you, saying thanks when someone holds a door for you, etc), so there's a chance you'd maintain some of that as both procedural and semantic memory.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: