welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The gun violence thread.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#15 Man slain in car to car shooting at lancaster stoplight

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#16 Woman shot at in road rage incident in indiana

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:

There is no internet human being more worthless than the one who starts a blog to complain about others works.

Excellent point! Now, looking at the number of xkcd posts lately that have served as nothing more than Randall Munroe's vehicle for belittling the efforts of others, I guess that makes the score:

Monkey: 1
xkcd: 0
Snorri

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Yeah, you're right, Munroe does post a lot of stupid shit.

I've quit frequenting xkcd, but I do still occasionally go back to sites like http://xkcd-sucks.blogspot.com/

Man that blog sucks.

Like I'm reading these reviews and I just don't get them. Is the author trolling?

Also the author apparently thinks Ayn Rand was a dude.

ShadowCell

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brb registering xkcd-sucks-sucks.blogspot.com
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:23 am    Post subject: Candide Gun deeds Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Heretical Rants wrote:
Yeah, you're right, Munroe does post a lot of stupid shit.

I've quit frequenting xkcd, but I do still occasionally go back to sites like http://xkcd-sucks.blogspot.com/

There is no internet human being more worthless than the one who starts a blog to complain about others works.

#11 2 dead in oakland shooting

And starting a year long thread to complain about the work of guns is worth what exactly?
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's complaining? I'm simply collecting such data as i can. Now you do know my stance i'm sure from other posts, but I haven't editorialized here at all. This time next year y'all can draw whatever conclusions you like from it, but all these off subject posts are really doing is making the thread larger than it would be if it was just me posting links.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snorri wrote:

Man that blog sucks.

Certainly. On the scale of good->bad I'd place it somewhere between "meh" and a slight headache, which is to say, right around where I'd place xkcd itself. I only posted it because it amused me marginally more than xkcdsucks (no hyphen) when I skimmed through the two. Instead of posting any links it might have been better for me to explain why I personally cannot stand the particular slice of this picto-blag that Jinx hyperlinked, but I am lazy, so here's the big picture:

xkcd can be okay. Sometimes it is legitimately funny, insightful, or both, and sometimes it is artistic in its own way. The thing is, as the funny, insightful, or artistic comics decline in frequency, the smug, condescending, downright insulting, or devoid-of-interesting-content-altogether comics increase in frequency. I guess with that blog I'm just glad that somebody is addressing these problems (in whatever capacity) and hopeful that xkcd will someday fully alienate the source of its (misappropriated and misused) influence within geek culture.

Rather than go into depth on this, however, I'd rather just let this be a thread about gun violence. kbye
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
#13 88 year old man shoots his wife in a hospital bed

Does an apparent mercy-killing meet your stated criteria?

Monkey McDermott wrote:
I'm just going to make this thread, and every time I come across a news story about irresponsible assholes being careless with the storage or care of their guns, mass shootings, or bullshit like the ex cop shooting a guy for texting.

From the article:

Quote:
A sheriff's office report detailing the incident indicates Dresser had planned to kill his wife of 63 years, who was paralyzed after an accident and no longer wanted to live, then kill himself. But after shooting her, his gun jammed, then came apart. He told detectives he failed to complete his mission.
Yinello

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Euthanasia is definitely more gray than some jerk who decided he wanted his movie opinion to be worth more.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wandering into a hospital and shooting someone in a hospital bed is irresponsible and assholish, "mercy killing" or no. And I'm 100% for the idea of people being able to end it when they want to.

There's the problem of all the people recovering in the hospital who need a peaceful environment suddenly being exposed to gunfire, there's damage to the equipment, there's the fact that shooting someone doesn't necessarily kill them and the people in that hospital are now going to be obligated to try to save that woman's life.

It was a poorly thought out and reckless use of a firearm.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Snorri wrote:

Man that blog sucks.

Certainly. On the scale of good->bad I'd place it somewhere between "meh" and a slight headache, which is to say, right around where I'd place xkcd itself. I only posted it because it amused me marginally more than xkcdsucks (no hyphen) when I skimmed through the two. Instead of posting any links it might have been better for me to explain why I personally cannot stand the particular slice of this picto-blag that Jinx hyperlinked, but I am lazy, so here's the big picture:

xkcd can be okay. Sometimes it is legitimately funny, insightful, or both, and sometimes it is artistic in its own way. The thing is, as the funny, insightful, or artistic comics decline in frequency, the smug, condescending, downright insulting, or devoid-of-interesting-content-altogether comics increase in frequency. I guess with that blog I'm just glad that somebody is addressing these problems (in whatever capacity) and hopeful that xkcd will someday fully alienate the source of its (misappropriated and misused) influence within geek culture.

Rather than go into depth on this, however, I'd rather just let this be a thread about gun violence. kbye

Eh, this may sound mean, but a lot of the stuff on that blog comes off as:

"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Speaking to the choir etc etc Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Who's complaining? I'm simply collecting such data as i can. Now you do know my stance i'm sure from other posts, but I haven't editorialized here at all. This time next year y'all can draw whatever conclusions you like from it, but all these off subject posts are really doing is making the thread larger than it would be if it was just me posting links.

Nevertheless, your point would become more effective if you also posted links to those saved by guns.

The large disparity between the two types of events must be shown using the same methods, or you will be dismissed as being biased and only reporting one side of the story.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, since the title of the thread is "the gun violence thread", it kinda states up front that he is just collecting those stories.

you are free to start the 'saved by the gun' thread. might be interesting - i suspect the lengths of the two threads will pretty much say it all.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Wandering into a hospital and shooting someone in a hospital bed is irresponsible and assholish, "mercy killing" or no. And I'm 100% for the idea of people being able to end it when they want to.

Unfortunately, the former happens because society won't accept the latter.

Also, 1000th post. Go me.

Also I wanted to say this doesn't really seem like it falls under

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
#15 Man slain in car to car shooting at lancaster stoplight

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
irresponsible assholes being careless with the storage or care of their guns, mass shootings, or bullshit like the ex cop shooting a guy for texting

This sounds like a targeted gangland hit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: