welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The gun violence thread.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
nathan wrote:
mouse wrote:
that's....bizarre. why would a burglar keep coming, when he knew there were people with guns awake in the house and aware of him?

Toxoplasma gondii.

I'd think you of all people could sympathize.

wut

* cat parasite that can infect any warm-blooded animal
* makes rodents braver around cats, somehow
* spreads by being eaten
* about a third of humans are infected

IF YOU AREN'T AFRAID OF CATS THAT'S PROBABLY WHY. THE PARASITE WANTS YOU TO BE EATEN.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, somehow a quick search turned up all of those facts except the part about it making rodents braver around cats. As such I entirely missed the point of the joke.

Go me.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's "funny 'cuz it's true"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
Alright, somehow a quick search turned up all of those facts except the part about it making rodents braver around cats. As such I entirely missed the point of the joke.

Go me.

it doesn't so much make them braver as scramble their brain-wiring so instead of being repelled by the scent of cats (or at least cat urine), they are attracted. they become sort of possessed.

and i guess the one that affects us should be Toxoplasma gundii (it screws up our wiring in the presence of guns).
Moor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to contribute intellectually to this conversation but all I can think of is Toxoplasma gandhii.
I'm sorry...
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there might be some benefit to infecting the world with something like that
nathan

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moor wrote:
I want to contribute intellectually to this conversation but all I can think of is Toxoplasma gandhii.

Mice with yellowcake and aluminum tubes?
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NY gun shop owner discusses the post-SAFE Act state-legal AR-15 equivalent. Just as effective at killing as an AR-15, but with none of the scary looking attachments that would make it an 'assault weapon'.

video
Felgraf

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindslicer wrote:
NY gun shop owner discusses the post-SAFE Act state-legal AR-15 equivalent. Just as effective at killing as an AR-15, but with none of the scary looking attachments that would make it an 'assault weapon'.

video

And is it being sold as a way to be MANLY and how retaining one revalidates one's MAN card?

'Cause *some* of this problem comes from, you know. Treating guns as things to make one STRONG and POPULAR and COOL, and not as a deadly weapon that shoots lead really far, really fast, and needs to be treated with respect.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:
Mindslicer wrote:

video

And is it being sold as a way to be MANLY and how retaining one revalidates one's MAN card?

Yes, that is exactly what the fellow in the video I posted is doing. He even grabs his crotch several times on camera.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEY EVERYONE!! GUESS WHAT???

SANDY HOOK WAS JUST A FALSE FLAG ATTACK!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/12/grace-mcdonnell-playgroun_n_5310928.html

Quote:
A playground in Mystic, Connecticut, dedicated to a girl shot during the Newtown massacre, is allegedly being vandalized by "truthers" who claim the shooting never took place.

A vinyl sign weighing 50 pounds was stolen last Tuesday from the Grace McDonnell Playground.

The sign featured a peace symbol that was based on the 7-year-old girl's drawing. She is one of the 20 children shot by Adam Lanza at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Connecticut on Dec. 14, 2012.

Grace's mother, Lynn McDonnell, found out about the theft when a man claiming to have stolen the sign called her.

During a brief conversation, the sign-stealer allegedly told McDonnell that he took the sign because he believes the school shooting was a hoax, CBS2.com reports.

He also taunted her that her daughter never existed, a comment that suggested he thought McDonnell was part of the alleged conspiracy.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mouse

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what. the. fuck.

that man, right there - that man is clear proof that we do not do enough to diagnose and assist the mentally ill in this country. there should be a bill named after that man, increasing funding for mental health facilities at all levels.

because that man is seriously, seriously sick.
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those folks have been running around basically since the shooting, most claiming that it was all faked so that OBAMA CAN TAKE OUR GUNS.

There's this fascinating and horrifying need in some folks to believe that not only is the universe intensely ordered, but that it is completely controlled by purely malicious beings. For some it's a political party, for some it's a person, for some it's a religious organization, but under it all is a desperate and slightly sad need to see purpose in everything. Nothing can be meaningless. Nothing can occur without wheels within wheels intent. Nothing can occur by chance.

Loose change. The moon landing. JFK. Sandy Hook. Obama's birth certificate. It goes on and on. It's never based on fact or even sound reasoning, but it becomes a form of faith for some people.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DON'T FORGET THAT SNOW IS NOT REAL. REPEAT. SNOW - NOT REAL.

Obama is really slow about taking White 'Merica's guns away. Must be relishing every moment, right? Or maybe he's just having too much fun time traveling to get around to that.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urgh, I'd forgotten the fake snow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 7 of 12

Jump to: