welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What makes a dudebro?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OklahomanSun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: What makes a dudebro? Reply with quote

I ask because someone called me an alpha earlier, which I assume is only a small hop away from a dudebro, apparently. So I thought we'd get some semblance of a definition down at least.
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience the two are largely interchangeable, the only difference is that dudebro is openly derogatory and alpha is (sometimes, depending on the source) complimentary.

Basic definition, douchenozzle.
Midnight Tea

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's actually a solid question, given that Sinfest has embraced the term and we sorta just jumped on it. The most literal answer would be an immature male from a fraternity in the habit of going "dude!" or "bro!" but that's not really very informative. Those people aren't always threatening, usually at worst typically just Biodome in human form and embodying obnoxiousness. I think the antagonism might've stemmed from when that culture began sort of slowly colliding with "nerd" culture more generally, like when Halo or Call of Duty started becoming mainstream. But that seems too broad to describe its context here too.

Generally speaking, I think in the context of Sinfest at least, it means an ignorant (predominantly white) male who unthinkingly participate and benefits to varying degrees from the larger patriarchy. It's not inherently a pejorative given that Squig is probably a good example of a non-toxic and likeable dudebro, (especially compared against Sleaze) but it's usually used as a pejorative by sinfest characters and the comic's community.
OklahomanSun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't need to get defined down to the head of a pin, but I think we'll need to go farther than unthinking participation and benefiting from the patriarchy as a white male. That's going to be something like 90% of all white males in the US.

Considering that a dudebro is a generally perjorative term, at least around here, I think we'll have to narrow it down some. I know that you said it doesn't have to be, but I do think it's becoming one. Most terms aren't neutral, and when you think of the connotations that being considered a dudebro brings, I think it's safe to say there's negative connotations. Let's use BioDome initially and see if there's a distinction to be made.

I don't think Bud and Doyle are dudebros, for example. I would say that the college guys trying to pick up their girls are dudebros. So that's a distinction we can make right there.

I guess I would consider some factors, and we can debate and maybe take some out, but here's an initial list.

* Arrogance
* Willful ignorance to the point of active pursuit thereof
* Actively shallow personality
* Part of a "bro pack". I don't think there are very many solo dudebros.
* Probably have to be a misogynist

One thing to discuss as well, do certain activities make you automatically a dudebro? I would think not, but I wonder if people are automatically categorising people based on activities. For instance, I'm not sure that sports automatically makes you a dudebro. There's probably a very high percentage of dudebros there, but it's not a de rigueur requirement for entry.
khan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal definition is an ignorant type that has no personal identity. They are exclusively defined by their contructed (and almost always insignificant) social group. Banality and carnality boiled up together.

Traits i associate include being a very obnoxious partier, requiring regular if not constant validation, and will do basicly anything to fit in. Often are 'into' cultural things like music, movies, games etc on the most superficial level possible, including buying paraphenalia for something they know very little about, ie they're into a movie or tv series they know essentially nothing about. Shocked i dont think the term requires stupidity, but it does require insecurity.

Alpha is a bit different to me, depending on how its used. In history, the concept would be understood to mean a natural leader. Note, leaders are rarely smarter than their advisors, or stronger than their followers. The most important and the only really required trait for the historical sense would be an aura of calm. This is pretty rare actually. Another key trait, or even aspect is being incredibly secure and unflappable.

The other use of the term refers to someone that is a preening, overbearing, bullying jerk. Usually these people are very insecure, but they are downright desperate to be SEEN as an enviable, dominant sort.

It should be easy to see in context which way it is being used.
eureka00

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eureka00

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really find the alpha term that bad, by the way. I see it more as just a description of your personality not that you are unintelligent. The dudebro term = the pic above or dumb partying frat boy who does stupid shit/pranks to impress his shittier friends.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lel
Yinello

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, I think the usage of alpha and beta on people is silly.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:

How else are we supposed to reduce people to labels instead of individuals?
OklahomanSun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:

People are still animals and it's a label that comes over from animal research.
Yinello

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's mostly used in the dating world (read pick up artists) and it's basically terrible.

These people like to use the word alpha as some guy who gets a lot of girls (or sex). It creates the annoying idea that a guy can only be succesfull if he gets a lot of hook-ups, even though it shouldn't matter how many girls a guy gets with. It's the opposite coin of slut-shaming girls really and the root of the problem why guys cat-call and come over aggressive when trying to get a date.

Also it's been proven there is no alpha system among wolves.
OklahomanSun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
It's mostly used in the dating world (read pick up artists) and it's basically terrible.

These people like to use the word alpha as some guy who gets a lot of girls (or sex). It creates the annoying idea that a guy can only be succesfull if he gets a lot of hook-ups, even though it shouldn't matter how many girls a guy gets with. It's the opposite coin of slut-shaming girls really and the root of the problem why guys cat-call and come over aggressive when trying to get a date.

Also it's been proven there is no alpha system among wolves.

Yes, but it does exist in many other species.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, but you know wolves is what those guys want to be identified with. i mean, if when i say alpha, the first image that jumps into your mind is a hedge sparrow - are you really going to be that determined to associate yourself with the term?
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolves aren't that much more impressive to me tbh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: