welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2014-01-20 All Enigma to Myself
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vector010

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zarus wrote:
And what if you take a sample from July-August of 2013? The Sisterhood's prevalence has been on the decline, no doubt.

So you specifically want to take a sample of almost half a year ago where they are more prevalent to prove a point? Ok, I'll play the game. Yes, there are slightly less appearances by the sisterhood and mentions of feminism, but not a significant amount. I went from July 1st to Sept 4th to keep the sample sizes the same.

The findings are: 29.23% (19) comics where the sisterhood makes an appearance, 9.23% (6) comics with overt feminism, 13.85% (9) comics with implied feminism, and 60.00% (39) comics with no appearance of sisterhood and no obvious feminism.

Observationally, July seemed to have the most appearances of the two months of the Sisterhood and explicit or implicit feminism.

Also, just for fun, we can determine the minimal amount of comics including sisterhood characters that did not include implicit or explicit feminism. I didn't do an actual count, but math to the rescue. In the time period Zarus requested, a minimum of 63.16%(12) of comics including the sisterhood could not have included any feminism. During the time period I originally counted, a minimum of 50% (6) of comics including the sisterhood could not have included any feminism.39

If we take those out, since they just include appearances of characters or non-feminism related story, then for my original time period we get a minimum of 86.15% (56) comics that did not include feminism. For Zarus's time period we get a minimum of 78.46% (51) comics that did not include feminism.

I'm gonna sing the doom song now. Doom dee doom doom doom...
zarus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the trouble. Very Happy

But more seriously, from what we've seen, 'Nique's audience is a fairly rough, inarticulate bunch, so it makes sense that she'd grow to hate them over time.
MerchManDan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hekateras wrote:
*tips fedora and bows*

...um. Is it really awkward in here, or is it just me?
Ennis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MerchManDan wrote:
Hekateras wrote:
*tips fedora and bows*

...I didn't notice that.
Here's to hoping Hekateras is a woman, so the awkwardness will somehow be lessened?
Hekateras

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*legasp* Rune gave me internets! This is more than I could have hoped for in life.

Vector, thank you for taking the time to crunch the numbers. I'm not surprised in the least. It reminds me of a study I read (can't dig up the actual article link right now, but maybe later when I have time) about how if a group is 17% women, men perceive it as being 50/50, and if there is 33% women, men perceive women as being in the majority there. There was a different but similar study about the perception of women speaking in the conversation, with comparable numbers. Long story short, women who spoke half the time were perceived as dominating the conversation.

Ennis wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:
Hekateras wrote:
*tips fedora and bows*

...I didn't notice that.
Here's to hoping Hekateras is a woman, so the awkwardness will somehow be lessened?

I am a woman, and the fedora started out as a woman's hat.

Quote:

History of Fedora Hats
By Laura Dixon, eHow Contributor

Origins

The fedora hat got its name from the 1882 French play Fedora, by Victorien Sardou. The play's heroine, Princess Fedora, was played by actress Sarah Bernhardt in the American stage adaptation in 1889. The following decade, the fedora was introduced as a female fashion accessory for middle- and upper-class Western women.

Fedoras quickly became a fashion option for men as well, and were especially popular in urban areas, where men wore the hats to protect their heads from the elements and add a touch of elegance. During the first decades of the 20th century, the black fedora became a staple in the wardrobes of Orthodox Jews, many of whom continue to wear them.

The more you know.

Don't dudebros just become more hilarious the more you learn about them and their ways?

I'm gonna reclaim that shit and aint' no power in the 'verse can stop me.
Yinello

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think fedoras are gorgeous thanks to Pokemon X/Y. Never let it be said kids games can't inspire change.
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TEAM LADIES WEARING FEDORAS GO.

(I own so many fedora's it's embarrassing.)
Hekateras

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only I had actually had clothing fedoras would go well with. Sad
Istancow

Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a hat. Anyone can wear a hat whenever and with whatever they like.
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entertainingly, despite having a degree in theatre costuming the lack of fucks I give over clothing most of the time is pretty impressive.

I cheat though, I have a fancy long wool coat and just use that to cover up my shitty outfits. Fedoras go with it, scarves go with it, really terrible hats with flaps and derpy video game references don't really go with it but whatever I do what I want.
vector010

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hekateras wrote:
Vector, thank you for taking the time to crunch the numbers. I'm not surprised in the least. It reminds me of a study I read (can't dig up the actual article link right now, but maybe later when I have time) about how if a group is 17% women, men perceive it as being 50/50, and if there is 33% women, men perceive women as being in the majority there. There was a different but similar study about the perception of women speaking in the conversation, with comparable numbers. Long story short, women who spoke half the time were perceived as dominating the conversation.

That is really bizarre. It makes me wonder why. Apparently, I do a bit of the opposite now that I'm thinking about it. I was thinking I hardly am in situations where there is even 17% women, but then I counted the people at the last social event I was at. 12 men and 8 women, so 40% women there and in my mind it was primarily men, definitely thought it was way less than 40% women.

I'm gonna sing the doom song now. Doom dee doom doom doom...
Yinello

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's because of popular entertainment often having so little women in it? I mean shit, the Avengers poster had just 1 woman hiding somewhere in the sausage party.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i seem to recall the 17% statistic as coming from or being associated with movies.

but in general, people seem to be sensitized to things that bother them, so they perceive that thing as happening more than it actually does. i have noticed this before with people who think sinfest is now ALL about the feminists, and monique is now ALWAYS unhappy or sad or whatever - and invariably these things seem to come up right after there has been a run of different things, and then there is a strip with one of the sisterhood in it and we get a rash of people posting to say OHNOEZ SINFEST IS NOW ALWAYS SISTERHOOD FEMINAZI MANHATERS ALL THE TIME!

i do feel, however, that percy and pooch are now seriously underrepresented (i mean, that story line with the tree from 2010 was AWESOME and how come we never get stuff like that anymore? why does tat hate the animuls??) and i want to see a similar count for pooch/percy appearances. (yes i know today was about p&p shut up).
MerchManDan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Istancow wrote:
It's a hat. Anyone can wear a hat whenever and with whatever they like.

The Internet disagrees.
Istancow

Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, the sort of people who say you shouldn't wear a fedora are also the sort of people who say you shouldn't go prancing about in a dressing gown and a towel, or leave the house with unshaved legs, or grow a mustache (ironic or not), or button the bottom button of a blazer, or wear denim tops with denim bottoms, or wear shoes and socks that aren't black, or shave your head, or wear sunglasses indoors, or wear baseball caps sideways, or wear baseball caps backwards, or wear baseball caps at all, or wear patterned anything, or wear Mickey Mouse watches, or major in things that aren't finance, or have fun.

In other words, the sort of people you listen to politely, and then proceed to disobey.

You know, the sort of people who write for "men's magazines".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: