welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2014-01-20 All Enigma to Myself
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ennis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did know it was originally a women's hat (making its adopting by notorious women-haters just a tad ironic). It was more so the "tips fedora and bows" which brought to mind the memory of something like this. (Yes I'm aware the profile is probably a joke, but I can't find any of the real fedora-themed ridiculousness right now.)

It's not so much people saying you shouldn't wear a fedora as the fedora somehow becoming associated with MRAs and dudebros that has made the hat unappealing. It's mostly a joke though, if you're otherwise a nice person no one cares if you wear a fedora or not.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like how you can't wear a tricorn hat with a tea bag on it without looking like a teapartier.

Although there is an addendum to the fedora thing - you can get away with wearing a licensed Indiana Jones fedora.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
i seem to recall the 17% statistic as coming from or being associated with movies.

but in general, people seem to be sensitized to things that bother them, so they perceive that thing as happening more than it actually does. i have noticed this before with people who think sinfest is now ALL about the feminists, and monique is now ALWAYS unhappy or sad or whatever - and invariably these things seem to come up right after there has been a run of different things, and then there is a strip with one of the sisterhood in it and we get a rash of people posting to say OHNOEZ SINFEST IS NOW ALWAYS SISTERHOOD FEMINAZI MANHATERS ALL THE TIME!

i do feel, however, that percy and pooch are now seriously underrepresented (i mean, that story line with the tree from 2010 was AWESOME and how come we never get stuff like that anymore? why does tat hate the animuls??) and i want to see a similar count for pooch/percy appearances. (yes i know today was about p&p shut up).

1.54% (1) comic where Percy and Pooch were the main focus. 3.08% (2) comics which included them in any way at all. I don't know about how that stands up to previously. Their appearance has always been fairly rare with the occasional sporadic longer stretch.

I'm gonna sing the doom song now. Doom dee doom doom doom...
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse is talking about the availability heuristic, which is a mental shortcut people take to making estimates of frequency and probability. The easier it is to recall something the more likely we are to say it happens more frequently and that it's more likely to happen again. My favorite example is when Ross and Sicoly (1979) asked partners to indicate what proportion of the time they took out the garbage alone and found that it was taken out about 120% of the time. It's easier to recall actions you've taken than mundane actions of other people, so both partners tended to overestimate the frequency with which they did the chore.

Ross, M. & Sicoly, F. (1979). Egocentric biases in availability and attribution. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 37(3), 322-336.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love that dogen can actually put names on what i'm saying, even when i have no idea myself that it is an actual studied thing.
Yinello

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww yes thanks Dogen for naming the thing!
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
i love that dogen can actually put names on what i'm saying, even when i have no idea myself that it is an actual studied thing.

I'm impressed you noticed it without knowing it was a thing. Most people don't recognize heuristics, because they operate so subtly.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, that's me, man - i am all about the subtle.

that's why so few people appreciate the fact that i am outrageously funny - my humor is too subtle.
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is true. I know I often forget that you're funny at all. Wink
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....this is why i keep losing out on the sinnies Crying or Very sad
Sojobo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
Damnit Slick, you don't get prizes for doing what everyone should be doing.

He's not self-reflective enough to discover new directions for self-improvement. The things everyone should be doing is all he can think of (at this stage).

Back in the day, there was no Slick/Kcils divide, because Slick didn't bother with impulse control. He would have boasted that no one's gaze was as male as his. Every woman (save Monique) was interchangeable to him, a sexual conquest or a trophy or a doll, not really a person.

Monique's altered character after learning to see the Patriarchy woke him up to some extent. He genuinely cares for Monique, and is seeking to fix his behaviour to make her happier. He's had a little success. He is a better person than he used to be. To love deeply in one direction makes us more loving in all others.

Unfortunately, he has decades of Patriarchy-indoctrinated habits (Kcils) which make a bit of a mockery of his efforts. It's hard for an outsider to take his conscious, larger-scale efforts seriously when he still objectifies women in lots of little ways each day.

As he learns more and more about his poor behaviours, the cognitive dissonance will mount, and he, too, will have a eureka moment that allows him to see the Patriarchy. He will no longer be reliant on being spoon-fed tidbits of correct actions, because he will instead be having correct thoughts, from which correct actions proceed naturally.

Then will Kcils be banishéd, and Slick & Xanthe live happily ever after and have lots of babies that he stays home and takes care of while she becomes the first woman President.
Timpie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ennis wrote:
It's not so much people saying you shouldn't wear a fedora as the fedora somehow becoming associated with MRAs and dudebros that has made the hat unappealing. It's mostly a joke though, if you're otherwise a nice person no one cares if you wear a fedora or not.

What's odd is that 90% of the time, it's not a fedora but a trilby hat. Still...

*looks back at his selfies when he was 17 and tips his fedora in shame*
Istancow

Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't trilby just a type of fedora, though?
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends whether you care enough. Apparently hat sellers in the US call them both fedoras because it's a more familiar term, and many sellers in the UK call them both trilbys for the same reason. But technically a trilby has a narrower brim that tilts down in front and up in back. Indiana Jones wore a fedora.

But this will be like the "tomato is a fruit/berry" conversation, and in six months someone who reads this now will ask this question again, because it's not important.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had thought Trilbys were called pork pie hats, which explains why I could never find one online.

I like bowler hats. They look good on me. I'm thinking of switching out my Indiana Jones hat for one of them, or a flat cap, or this one other type I lost but don't know the name of.

Edit: I think it was a dutch boy cap, which looks like old fishermen caps. It was comfy, looked good, kept out the sun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: