welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1/24/2014 - Demonique 2: Electric Boogaloo
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Felgraf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
Felgraf wrote:
Yinello wrote:
Throwing at someone whose back is turned is the most uncoolest move. As a thrower who has done this, I should know.

Unless it's a snowball, then it's hilarious (If part of a large snowball fight)

Sadly it wasn't anything painless but I was 7 and had the decency to feel guilty so I guess that helps a bit?

Eh, you were seven. I sometimes think all children have neutral evil traits around that age. =P And you did feel bad afterwards!
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Rune

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echo wrote:
Is anyone else slightly worried that 'Nique's response to the tomato is going to go slightly too far?

I just hope that after striking back, she remembers that she got flowers too...

It's not just a tomato. It's another tomato in a long barrage of abuse and scorn being hurled at her by people who have made it explicitly clear that they just saw her as a hot body and not a person, and now feel entitled to treat her badly for presenting herself as the latter rather than the former, and for daring to voice an opinion on that situation, and those related to it. This is an abuse that has been going on long enough, and that she's had to comport herself towards dodging and avoiding to the point that she lashed out (mildly) against someone who was giving her positive attention

We already have an example of how Demonique's behavior is related to self-preservation and self defense: http://sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=4835 Monique learning to direct and use that instinct to care for the self wisely? Yeah, that wouldn't be a bad thing.
Istancow

Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there are people in the audience who like what Nique is doing and applaud and throw flowers...

And there are the people in the audience who don't like it and throw tomatoes.

You know what has to happen, here...

WALL OF DEATH
Leohan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Isn't that how Fuchsia and BB started, though?
Rune

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leohan wrote:

You mean the evil hateful patriarchy actively turns women into what it hates and fears? Le gasp!
Istancow

Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we don't know for certain that 'Nique will do anything to actually hurt anyone.
TerseRiddle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:
Leohan wrote:

You mean the evil hateful patriarchy actively turns women into what it hates and fears? Le gasp!

Well it sounds like Nique is even closer to becoming a devil girl then...
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:
Yinello wrote:
Felgraf wrote:
Yinello wrote:
Throwing at someone whose back is turned is the most uncoolest move. As a thrower who has done this, I should know.

Unless it's a snowball, then it's hilarious (If part of a large snowball fight)

Sadly it wasn't anything painless but I was 7 and had the decency to feel guilty so I guess that helps a bit?

Eh, you were seven. I sometimes think all children have neutral evil traits around that age. =P And you did feel bad afterwards!

unless, of course, you threw it at a sibling, in which case you will be guilted about it for the rest of your life.
Rune

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We still don't even know exactly what it was that turned Blue and Fyoosh, just some things that contributed to it. All we saw here was that they had devil reflections at the end of the strip. And note, we did not see any reflections at all until then, so we don't actually know if they had non-devil reflections immediately before.

And unlike Slick, Monique is apparently actively aware of her shadow side. That puts her in a much better position to deal with it.
Echo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We haven't seen Fyoosh and Blue precisely turned, but the reflections being shown at the end are a strong suggestion that it was their vengeful actions that took them down that path. In Blue's case, there's also her youthful friendship/whatever with Big D as she flunks out of Divinity School, but if that's not had a clear effect by the time she and Fyoosh are Holy Watering down the martinis, then there's less of a convincing case that that was part of what made her a devil girl. But really, when there's the Martini story and nothing to suggest something else was the cause, it's a reasonable assumption to make unless further evidence comes to light.

As for 'Nique, yes, she's reacting to more than just one tomato... but there are more than just tomatoes out there. And... well, we're not exactly replete with data on 'Nique's Shadow, but I suspect that she's not going to worry too much about hurting innocents...
Rune

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reasonable to assume it's a part of the narrative, but there's still no reason to call that the moment they turned because: a) they were not actually turned yet, and b) it was just one moment in what's been hinted at is a long story.

You're including bumping elbows with the devil in school as part of Blue's fall, and still claiming the martini incident as the tipping point? We've seen Slick running around with a devil reflection for how long now?

I'm saying that the martini thing is not indisputably a tipping point. I already did say it was a contribution.

I don't think that Monique is in real immediate danger.
Hydro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll agree with the fact the `Nique is not in danger of turning devil girl.

I think the comic's mood lately for a number of characters, is them recognizing (or in Slick's case, not recognizing) their dark sides. `Nique is aware but sees that as a part of her now. In this comic world, it takes on a bit of a life of its own but that doesn't mean she can't be in control of it. Sort of "well that pisses me off, but wait, I don't want to do anything rash"?

So far this is my theory as I am relating to this comic. I'm interested to see what develops from here on...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: