welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2014-01-28 Feelin' like a criminal

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Istancow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:04 am    Post subject: 2014-01-28 Feelin' like a criminal Reply with quote

Aha! Good. It's been a while since we really got to hear one of Nique's poems.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Fiona Apple song. I still love the calligraphy strips, though.
Rune

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, so cool.
Echo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering how much to read in to the merging of 'Nique and her Shadow - purely to match the calligraphy, or some form of longer term change?
Felgraf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How very Jungian.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Yinello

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dat second panel.
SomeGuy411

Location: Lost somewhere in space/time, as far as I can tell. Last known location: Canada

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've missed the calligraphy strips. Such a simple medium, but generally say so much in retrospect, and definitely nice to see one of Nique's poems again
Have a pleasant day
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would love to know how he decides what he is going to morph into the ideogram (is that the right word?). it always seems to flow so easily, but it must take a lot of work to figure out.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
i would love to know how he decides what he is going to morph into the ideogram (is that the right word?). it always seems to flow so easily, but it must take a lot of work to figure out.

not really, these aren't that hard to make

I made one a few years ago, if anyone remembers. It wasn't very good, but that was mostly because I was bad at comic lineart and only somewhat used to inky brushwork in general. Figuring out the morph is the easy part.

You start with the calligraphy then stage the scene around that. It doesn't even matter all that much what you put in the scene (though of course it should fit thematically or the strip is gibberish), just position it around where the elements of the character go, then use the middle two panels to increase the level of abstraction while moving all of the pieces into place.

Let's look at a simple character (kanji), like fire, and break it down:

Panel One: It's fitting to put a person in the middle of the kanji, because the middle is basically like the character for 'person' ("人", a pictogram of legs), but since fire's generally considered an element on it's own and it doesn't matter what you use so long as it looks nice graphically anyway, Tat opted to use Fush's tail for one of the legs since that makes for a more interesting pose. Besides the person, the kanji's going to need a drop on either side, so that's roughly where Tat put the fireball, hand, heart, tuft of hair, etc.

Panel Two: There's a lot of extra clutter/detail in panel one that is unneeded! Smooth the lines out and cut out unnecessary details.

Panel Three: Reposition elements and get everything as close to panel four as you can without completely killing the resemblance to the scene you made in panel 1. Push this to the extreme, which hopefully makes for a smooth, minimalistic-yet-dynamic panel.

Panel Four: Calligraphy. Either be good at calligraphy, or put in the bit of extra work it takes to make a cleanly realised character through whatever means.

I don't think there's anything in this process that would be even remotely challenging for anyone who's competent at comicking and graphic design and has at least some familiarity with Japanese characters.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:

I don't think there's anything in this process that would be even remotely challenging for anyone who's competent at comicking and graphic design and has at least some familiarity with Japanese characters.

well, see, i'm 0 out of 3 on this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: