welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2014-02-02: Aftermath 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hydro wrote:
Well, if she's self-destructing in a dream, it could correlate to the psychological meaning behind a bomb in a dream.

My dream dictionary says this:
"The dream may be telling you something about potentially explosive situation you have to deal with in your waking life. Alternatively, it could be something within yourself, such as a desire to explode with anger about an issue that's affecting you. Similarly, the bomb could represent repressed desires and drives that are likely to explode if not dealt with."

Fear is also a pretty logical assumption.

Do dream dictionaries cite any research supporting their analysis of dream content? I mean, GW Domhoff (an expert in the cognitive theory of dreaming whose been researching dreams since the 60s) has said they may have psychological meaning even though it's unlikely they have any adaptive function (that is, they don't have a purpose, but they may still reflect our psychological states)... but Rosalind Cartwright, another prominent dream researcher, says, "Dreams have a job to do as a natural process just a digestion is a natural process which benefits us without our being aware of it. Dreams are regulating emotion and updating our self-system."

But, no one that I know of in the social sciences has tried to say "dreaming of X means Y," since Jung (or thereabouts; I'm not a dream researcher). So I'm curious if dream dictionaries cite evidence of their analysis, or just make it up.
Hydro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Hydro wrote:
Well, if she's self-destructing in a dream, it could correlate to the psychological meaning behind a bomb in a dream.

My dream dictionary says this:
"The dream may be telling you something about potentially explosive situation you have to deal with in your waking life. Alternatively, it could be something within yourself, such as a desire to explode with anger about an issue that's affecting you. Similarly, the bomb could represent repressed desires and drives that are likely to explode if not dealt with."

Fear is also a pretty logical assumption.

Do dream dictionaries cite any research supporting their analysis of dream content? I mean, GW Domhoff (an expert in the cognitive theory of dreaming whose been researching dreams since the 60s) has said they may have psychological meaning even though it's unlikely they have any adaptive function (that is, they don't have a purpose, but they may still reflect our psychological states)... but Rosalind Cartwright, another prominent dream researcher, says, "Dreams have a job to do as a natural process just a digestion is a natural process which benefits us without our being aware of it. Dreams are regulating emotion and updating our self-system."

But, no one that I know of in the social sciences has tried to say "dreaming of X means Y," since Jung (or thereabouts; I'm not a dream researcher). So I'm curious if dream dictionaries cite evidence of their analysis, or just make it up.

Actually my book does refer to Jung and Freud.

I really only refer to it for a reference for fiction: much like one would take blood-type or astrology into account when drafting a character.
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, but for the record, both Jungian and Freudian dream analysis currently have about as much credence as phrenology.*+

* Actually, there are still practicing psychoanalysts and who knows what they do? They hold their own conventions and publish their own journals and no one pays attention to them because the other tens of thousands of researchers got the memo.

+ No offense to anyone with a lumpy head who was depending on this to not feel bad!
Istancow

Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never have any of these sorts of interesting, dramatic dreams.

Most of my dreams are very... domestic. My last dream I remember, I awoke, went to my refrigerator, and retrieved some grape juice from it. I poured myself a glass of grape juice, I drank it, and thoroughly enjoyed it. And that the end of the dream.

Most of the dreams I have are just like that, really. I suppose it doesn't make for quite as interesting conversation as a ticking bomb or falling off the top of The Shard and never quite reaching St. Thomas Street.
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Research using both dream journaling and having people sleep in a lab and be awakened in the midst of REM sleep shows that the vast, vast majority of dreams aren't bizarre in any way and don't contain strong emotion. You just remember the ones with a strong emotional component better.
MerchManDan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random Wanderer wrote:
...She dreams.
As far as I know, this is the first time it's happened. Those forays into the Reality Zone have really spurred some sort of evolution in her.
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i was thrown at first that she was falling into robotic pieces in the reality zone when that was where she was first made human - then i realized it was a dream. and i probably have more thoughts on that but i have to go to yoga.

but devil-puppy, yay! pebbles and lily back together, yay! and fembot has friends, yay!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: