welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Meet up?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'll probably be in Seattle either way and I'll still try to work in Portland since I'm curious about what Portland is like.

I'd love to meet Monkey and the invite is still totally open.

Basically even if it's small I'm gunna be around, anyway.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mount St Helens is worth a look if you're in the area and have the time. i was there about seven years ago and it was incredibly surreal.

Multnomah Falls is pretty cool too.

/lives in Southern California, can't go
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally, wow I'm genuinely sorry. You're right, it was an incredibly dick thing to say. I meant it in an arm-punching, joshing kind of way. Clearly it doesn't come across that way. Ill judged.

FWIW I've been on a few meet ups and though they always attract an initially disparate crowd tgey've never not been fun. I hope you guys do manage to meet up and have a good time.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mt St Helens is a bit of a trek from Seattle, about 3 hours. It's between Seattle and Portland, but 50 miles off the freeway. Totally worth it if you have the time, though. I actually have a list of places I like to take people in Seattle that I've collected over the years of taking people and visiting on my own. Patty could tell you if my sites are worth visiting, I took her to several. My favorite places are Columbia Center's Sky View observation deck, which is both cheaper and taller than the Space Needle (almost twice the height and only $5), and the underground tour... and macrons from La Panier across the street from Pike Place... and the falafel place in the market also across the street from Pike Place (which you have to know exists before you can find it)... and the cinnamon roasted almonds from the guy in Pike Place... and Kerry park... and, well, I have a whole list.

If you come to Portland Multnomah Falls is like 20 minutes away. It's on my list of things to show people who visit, along with Crown Point (which is near the falls) and the Eastbank Esplanade (which is in the city). Maybe Voodoo Donuts. If you're a fan of the show Leverage I can take you to Bridgeport Brewing, which was "bought" by one of the characters and featured in the show, but is also a real (well known) microbrewery.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'm saying is, if you need help filling time, I'm your man. Beer, food, and sights are my specialty. Also bars, but no one ever asks me to take them to a bar (and they should because Portland has a non-profit pub for crying out loud!).
Vox Raucus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
and macrons from La Panier across the street from Pike Place...

This. And not just macaroons - that place has amazingly delicious food items!
Falkonn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pike's place chowder (I think that's the name of the actual place, either way, the chowder place in Pike's) is bonkers good as well. There is sooo much good food at that market.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piroshki Piroshki = win

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggested Thread Title: The Real Gastronomic Delights of the PNW, Season 1
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do love food.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Piroshki Piroshki = win

You know I've never eaten there? I've always meant to, but just never have. I always walk right past them to La Panier or go inside to Zaina. But I would really like to, and they have a great veggie menu...
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:

Mouse: Would you be trying to hit the meetup? It occurs to me I have no idea where you live.

i would love to meet you guys, but i am in san diego. i appear in portland on alternate christmases, but it's to visit my brother and for some reason i'm not sure how he would respond to my dragging him to meet up with strange internet people. (i would have to bring him because a) he would never let me drive his truck and 2) i would get lost within about 2 blocks of his place).

but you must meet up, and hopefully at least somewhat in portland (western version)! it's a really neat city, and multnomah falls are indeed quite lovely (bring hiking shoes). i love just driving around looking at houses - there are a lot of older houses and there are a lot of people into restoring them, complete with (surprisingly colorful) original paint schemes. of course, i am also fascinated by all the cool moss-covered steps and walls and sidewalks and stuff (i am apparently easily entertained).

go, have fun, send us pictures of potato burritos to make us all jealous!

and as a side note: it's been so long since i've been in maine i might have to go to a portland (eastern version) meetup even if it is in the opposite corner of the country. i should start saving my pennies now, just in case.
Snorri

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You all live in the same country. How hard is it to meet up?

Snorri

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like if I want to meet up with Michael I just hop on the train and then stay the required distance stipulated in the restraining order from him.

Snorri

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I imagine when Gary is allowed back into the country he'll be there too, silently watching.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: