welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This is why Sony will sell me a PS3.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CTrees

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
andrew wrote:

Why? Playing DVDs on your video game system is the surest way to kill the system twice as fast.

It's much, much more cost effective to spend the $29.99 it takes to purchase a standalone DVD player.

The PS2 is a testament to this. Sad

See, I've heard this numerous times, adn yet, my old, original, fat-style PS2 has served as my primary DVD player since I got it years ago (mainly because I like the user interface better than most standard players), and has endured such rigors as being left on for days at a time (stupid battle Star Ocean III battle trophies. 24hrs in one battle and one million button presses, I'm looking at you!) and being taken apart and rebuilt (I get bored), and is chugging along just as nicely as ever.

'course, I say this, and just you watch, next time I turn it on, it'll burst into flames.
Amilam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amon wrote:
That trailer looks so incredibly awesome! It's completely horrid that I've only saved enough gaming money for the wii. So, I guess I'll just have to cry like a little school girl when I'm playing Super Smash Brawl next year.

A damn shame, really.

Super Smash Brothers Brawl and Disgaea 2 are the only new games I'm interested in playing. I can't wait for the Brawl challenge thread Twisted Evil
CTrees

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amilam wrote:
Disgaea 2

YES!

Although it did get a little too easy when I got the ability to make ninja. Fists+shoes+shoes+speed weight+all points to speed on creation/reincarnation (not to the point where I can get the super robo suit to replace the shoes, yet) is simply untouchable by anything but damage tiles.
Amon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amilam wrote:
Amon wrote:
That trailer looks so incredibly awesome! It's completely horrid that I've only saved enough gaming money for the wii. So, I guess I'll just have to cry like a little school girl when I'm playing Super Smash Brawl next year.

A damn shame, really.

Super Smash Brothers Brawl and Disgaea 2 are the only new games I'm interested in playing. I can't wait for the Brawl challenge thread Twisted Evil

Ah, yes. Someday, you may just get a challenge from Anon. I hope you'll prepare yourself for that moment.
Amilam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amon wrote:
Amilam wrote:
Amon wrote:

A damn shame, really.

Ah, yes. Someday, you may just get a challenge from Anon. I hope you'll prepare yourself for that moment.

*starts charging Peach's downsmash
Snorri

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really that impressed with the video. I mean, it looks quite good. But to buy a console for just a game that looks good on a movie sounds a bit fast.

andrew

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snorri wrote:
I'm not really that impressed with the video. I mean, it looks quite good. But to buy a console for just a game that looks good on a movie sounds a bit fast.

Yeah, in all fairness, there was really no way I wasn't going to buy one.
fjafjan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, technological advances are only cool for so long, i still enjoy tetris or Zangband more than i do SWAT 3 or any awesome looking crappy racing game, Nintendo in my experience is better at providing awesome games, id rather not pay twice/more for a game that is better looking, the only think appealing about the PS3 is that it might be quite a cheap Blue ray player, but then I could not afford a proper TV to use it on.

I just hope the Wii will not be the great disappointment it is bound to be, why teh FUDGE did they no upgrade some of the hardware? >_<
ForgottenCode

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably pick one up when my PS2 is no longer able to support whatever game I want. I was thinking of buying the Wii, and I still might, but I have no interest in using the remote to actually swing a sword. I'm not playing video games to exercise, after all.
timmccloud

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, time to weigh in here.

I own a PS2 and a Xbox (pre 360), and I must say that the Xbox rocks and the PS2 sucks.

- The xbox has one power button and yet it will turn on if you eject the drawer - so simple.
- The PS2 has two power buttons (so stupid) one of them in the back of the machine very difficult to reach, and even then you have to press the other button to turn it on.
- the xbox saves data to a hard disk that's included in the machine. You have almost unlimited save games (almost - it took 80 save games of Kotor II to fill it up)
- the PS2 requires you to buy stupid memory cards which allow 8 saves total for each card. More saves? more cards. Idiotic. Oh, you can buy a hard disk as an option, but you still need the damn memory cards for most games.
- The xbox wireless controllers are simple. Press one button to activate. Each controller is assigned one of 4 specific channels.
- the PS2 wireless controllers require you to turn on an almost invisible switch on the bottom, and then you have to press ANOTHER button on the wireless host plug to synchronize. And there are no dedicated channels, so it's very possible to boot with the wrong controller, or have two controllers stuck on one channel.
- the xbox comes with the ability for four controllers built in.
- the ps2 requires you to spend more money for two extra controllers.

I bought the PS2 to play a sony game that wasn't on the Xbox, and the game sucked too. I since bought a few more titles for the PS2, and it still sucks.

Moral of this story, There is NO WAY I'm going to give Sony any more money when the PS3 comes out. When the time comes that I need to upgrade I will buy me a 360.
Snorri

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timmccloud wrote:

I own a PS2 and a Xbox (pre 360), and I must say that the Xbox rocks and the PS2 sucks.

- The xbox has one power button and yet it will turn on if you eject the drawer - so simple.
- The PS2 has two power buttons (so stupid) one of them in the back of the machine very difficult to reach, and even then you have to press the other button to turn it on.
- the xbox saves data to a hard disk that's included in the machine. You have almost unlimited save games (almost - it took 80 save games of Kotor II to fill it up)
- the PS2 requires you to buy stupid memory cards which allow 8 saves total for each card. More saves? more cards. Idiotic. Oh, you can buy a hard disk as an option, but you still need the damn memory cards for most games.
- The xbox wireless controllers are simple. Press one button to activate. Each controller is assigned one of 4 specific channels.
- the PS2 wireless controllers require you to turn on an almost invisible switch on the bottom, and then you have to press ANOTHER button on the wireless host plug to synchronize. And there are no dedicated channels, so it's very possible to boot with the wrong controller, or have two controllers stuck on one channel.

I bought the PS2 to play a sony game that wasn't on the Xbox, and the game sucked too. I since bought a few more titles for the PS2, and it still sucks.

Moral of this story, There is NO WAY I'm going to give Sony any more money when the PS3 comes out. When the time comes that I need to upgrade I will buy me a 360.

And will save some money for a Wii too.

andrew

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timmccloud wrote:

The PS2 hasn't had two power buttons for a year. Further, the X-Box is enormous and weighs 10 lbs; the PS2 weighs 2 lbs and has the profile only slightly larger than a DVD case. It can also be positioned vertically and horizontally.

Quote:

I have one PS2 memory card that I've used the entire time I've owned the system (since launch day) - I have never filled it. In short, PS2 games create data-efficient saves, XBox saves are ginormous microsoft piles of unnecessary data.

Quote:
The xbox wireless controllers are simple. Press one button to activate. Each controller is assigned one of 4 specific channels.

So...which brand of controllers are you talking about? That's not the way the wireless controllers I've played PS2 with (Pelican) work.

Further, Xbox users really, really, really, REALLY cannot EVER bitch about another system's controllers. Ever. Especially since the PS2 has controllers that are widely hailed as perfect - which is why they've remained almost identical across three systems.

Quote:

The PS2 has comparitively few games that allow for more than two players. Different target markets =! inferior. Where's the xbox interface for keyboard and mouse? Oh, and let's not forget that you can't play DVDs on the Xbox out of the box (not that I encourage this; see above).

Moral of the story: the two systems are aimed at completely different styles of gamer. Comparison of this nature is pointless approaching silliness, especially since most of your gripes are...well, petty and insignificant.
CTrees

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timmccloud wrote:

Um... I have quite a lot more than eight saves (or even eight games with saves) on my sole PS2 memory card. It was the one that came included when I bought it, too, not the ones I've seen which have several times more space.

The power on design, well, I guess I'm not quite as lazy, and can put up with reaching eight inches further away and pushing two buttons instead of just one.

I gotta disagree on the games being worse. I play primarily RPGs. The Xbox has, what, Fable and KOTOR? Both available for the computer, which gives superior play? Huh. The PS2 was a much better choice for me for last generation (and that's not even getting into things like the controller, which is so much nicer, at least for my hands).

EDIT: Are you thinking of the PS1 memory card? I can't remember how many saves that allowed, but eight sounds right. In which case, well, that sort of comparison is just stupid (The Wii is plainly superior to the Dreamcast! Despite being a completely different generation of technology!)

Last edited by CTrees on Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Snorri

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. Since they're not identical, they can't be compared.

timmccloud

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ctrees wrote:
I gotta disagree on the games being worse. I play primarily RPGs. The Xbox has, what, Fable and KOTOR?

Maybe you are thinking of titles exclusive to the Xbox, and you may be right. I play primarily RPG's as well, and I have 20-30 titles for Xbox, and only 2 that I could only get on PS2 (because they were Sony releases). And the Sony RPG's titles I've played on the PS2 were rat mazes with maybe the odd cut scene. Bleh.

Mostly I do play on my PC, which is customized to be a gamers system. Morrowind, WOW, Doom III, Dungeon Siege all rock on the PC and they are 10 times better than any gaming system. But if you want to play Halo the first year it's out, then you gotta have a console.

Snorri wrote:
True. Since they're not identical, they can't be compared.

Except, oh yeah SONY and MICROSOFT have been comparing themselves to each other since day one. Oh, I forgot there is also Every Console Gaming Magazine Ever Printed. But other than that, sure you are absolutely correct.

I have spent 25 years designing software for a living, I can tell when an interface is elegant or clunky. Sure, the PS2 came out with a LOT of improvements after the Xbox was released (smaller, lighter), and long after I bought mine of course, but until the Xbox showed them up, they had no market driven reason to improve their machines for years.

andrew wrote:
Further, Xbox users really, really, really, REALLY cannot EVER bitch about another system's controllers. Ever. Especially since the PS2 has controllers that are widely hailed as perfect - which is why they've remained almost identical across three systems.

Yes I really really can because my hands hurt after a long gaming session for the PS2 and they do not with the Xbox. The xbox controllers are larger and fit my hands better than those Japanese hand sized controllers from the PS2.

Normally I don't like to mention that the Xbox is made by Microsoft. It still blows me away that the Evil Empire actually came out with something that A) I liked and B) worked the first time out of the box without bugs. Microsoft (shudder).

I really really REALLY wanted Sony to be better, and they just aren't IMHO. The PS2 is another Betamax with fans that won't be persuaded any other way - I respect that you disagree with me, I have my own opinion, and I will back up my opinion with my hard earned money just like you did with yours.

I'm waiting for history to repeat the betamax thing with Blu-Ray too. Or for the same thing to happen that happened with competing 56k modems - eventually they stopped feuding and made modems that could do both protocols. I've read where at least one MFG is trying to do a box that does both of the two HDDVD formats...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: