welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2/12/2014 - Harassholes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess it's more like foreplay. Foreplay between people who don't really know what they're doing, and googling it as they go.
diagram12345

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
diagram12345 wrote:
It's actually 59.3% female, 40.7% male as of 2010 (private college graduation rates), which to me is huge and indicative of something wrong with our education system. Men do have more opportunities (in dangerous physical jobs) without college, but a few years down the line not only are they sicker than those with desk jobs, they're also making on average $20k less than those who went to college.

Interestingly, graduation rates for men as a percentage of the total population have stayed relatively stagnant for decades, while women skyrocketed ahead. But men also have lower rates of high school graduation, higher rates of truancy and expulsion, and when we go to college our grades are generally lower. Of course, despite women doing better and more often, they still earn less even at the beginning of their careers, and the cost of not having a degree is higher (the wage gap is greater for women without degrees than those with them). So, there may be greater financial pressure for women to attain degrees, in addition to whatever causes men to just generally have less success at school.

Those are good points.

As for women making less even at the start of their careers -- it really irritated me when I found out that a male co-worker with the same experience and same job made more money than me. I asked him how he did it, and he said that he'd just asked for more money. I hadn't.

It made me angry that I had just accepted the offer they gave me; you can be damn sure that I negotiated for my next job. It wasn't even a negotiation -- I just asked for a few thousand more dollars, and they gave it to me. There's a lot of awful, unfair discrimination against mothers in terms of both hiring and wages, but in most cases that same gender discrimination doesn't apply to young single women. If you're in the latter situation, sometimes getting as much or more than your male co-workers just means asking.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Well, I guess it's more like foreplay. Foreplay between people who don't really know what they're doing, and googling it as they go.

Or asking at Yahoo answers, that paragon of useful information.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:17 am    Post subject: come on Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:

You had to google Poincare?

For shame Dogen.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, you can keep your affectations. I'm intimating that both you and zarus had to google Poincare in order to continue your superficial conversation about what he believed.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zarus wrote:
Thy Brilliance wrote:

Even if you believe you can know only a subset of all knowledge, do you really believe you have no control over which subset to choose from?

You live in a world where you can map the set of all integers to a geometric object, meaning you can see all integers at once as a finite object, and you'll know exactly how they behave under any circumstance.

With enough abstraction, nearly all the secrets of the universe can be revealed.

I said nothing about not having control over what subset to choose from, I have no idea where you're getting that.

And yes, I said that the laws of the universe can, theoretically be determined.

I also said that even if the laws of the universe are determined, that doesn't give you total knowledge of all particulars.

I brought up the fact that you can choose which subsets you working with to demonstrate my point.

I'm going to recommend to you a book, "Godel Escher Bach".

I feel it will help you see things differently.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:39 am    Post subject: think about it Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Heh, you can keep your affectations. I'm intimating that both you and zarus had to google Poincare in order to continue your superficial conversation about what he believed.

Some people like different topics than you do Dogen.

Some people are actually quite knowledgeable in these topics.

The world does not revolve around you.

You are so arrogant, you actually believe that because you don't know something, that means that everyone else has to look it up to have a knowledgeable conversation about it.

Typical of a dual major.

But that's not the real issue here.

You derive pleasure from insulting others.

I derive no pleasure from insulting anyone.

Why do you think this is so Dogen?
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: think about it Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:

Some people are. The two of you don't appear to be. You both speak in such superficial generalities that you might as well be cutting and pasting from Wikipedia and the Encyclopedia of Philosophy. If I'm wrong, then you just sound like you only just heard of these ideas, even if you haven't. I've spent enough time with experts in philosophy (PhDs, I studied logic and epistemology at university) to know what they sound like.

Quote:
You are so arrogant, you actually believe that because you don't know something, that means that everyone else has to look it up to have a knowledgeable conversation about it.

You must not get any pleasure out of our conversations, because you spend a lot of time trying to insult me. Why is that, Thy?

Quote:
Typical of a dual major.

I'm not a dual major, really. I have two degrees (and working on my third and fourth right now). I just usually tell people I dual majored so as not to sound like a pretentious dick. I waive that for you, though. Very Happy

Quote:

We have to remember that you're incapable of inferring the emotional state of others on the forum, and you've never expressed anything approaching a reasonable understanding of my motivation, despite your own behavior in a certain instance being that motivation.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: think about it Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:
Dogen wrote:

Some people like different topics than you do Dogen.

The world does not revolve around you.

And you seem to believe that if someone disagrees with your interpretation of something, they must either be foolish or personally attempting to persecute you.

It's hysterical that you have the audacity to talk about arrogance that way.

The world does not revolve around Thy.

Physician, heal thyself.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Thy Brilliance wrote:

Some people are. The two of you don't appear to be. You both speak in such superficial generalities that you might as well be cutting and pasting from Wikipedia and the Encyclopedia of Philosophy. If I'm wrong, then you just sound like you only just heard of these ideas, even if you haven't. I've spent enough time with experts in philosophy (PhDs, I studied logic and epistemology at university) to know what they sound like.

You act as if you are the only one in the world who hangs out with professors. Your arrogance knows no bounds.

Newsflash: Different types of professors don't speak similarly.

Dogen wrote:
Quote:

You must not get any pleasure out of our conversations, because you spend a lot of time trying to insult me. Why is that, Thy?

It's not that I'm insulting you, I'm merely telling you the truth as I see it, and I don't hold back. It's a thankless job that doesn't earn you any friends. Not many people like being criticized you know.

The worst part is that I want to be your friend, and if you can see that, then how can you enjoy this?, whatever you want to call it.

The problem is that I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I couldn't speak from the heart. I can't help it.

Dogen wrote:
Quote:
Typical of a dual major.

I'm not a dual major, really. I have two degrees (and working on my third and fourth right now). I just usually tell people I dual majored so as not to sound like a pretentious dick. I waive that for you, though. Very Happy

Yes yes yes, you totally aren't compensating for anything. You have something to prove to rest of the world and no one will stop you.

Dogen wrote:
Quote:

We have to remember that you're incapable of inferring the emotional state of others on the forum, and you've never expressed anything approaching a reasonable understanding of my motivation, despite your own behavior in a certain instance being that motivation.

What a cop out. I mean Jesus Christ Dogen, you're better than this. I've been hearing this social awareness crap from you for a long time now, and it's getting real old.

You know what, let's google it.

http://www.change-management-coach.com/social-awareness.html

A business management site eh? This should be rich.

Quote:
According to Daniel Goleman the competencies associated with being socially aware are:

Empathy: understanding the other personís emotions, needs and concerns.

Organisational Awareness: the ability to understand the politics within an organization and how these affect the people working in them.

Service: the ability to understand and meet the needs of clients and customers.

Essentially awareness of social situations is about carefully considering what people want, and planning to communicate with them in a way that is intended to meet that need.

Is this the same as manipulation? I'm not sure. [A+, GREAT JOB] Great leaders and public speakers are skilled in this ability and it helps them build support.

I don't believe social awareness is intended to be quite as calculated as manipulation. At best being socially aware is a natural response to people, taking their situation and needs into account as much as possible.

Let's see.

Empathy: Yup, pretty sure I understand your passive aggressive emotions, your unhealthy needs, and your superficial concerns.

Organizational Awareness: Yup, I know who's who and what's what in the forums. Of course, hierarchy never meant much to me in the first place because I treat people as equals.

Service: I understand perfectly well that what you crave is constant circlejerking and it has always been a deficiency of mine to not get involved in it.

Let's see if I understand this correctly,

People like car salesmen, politicians, and "managers" seem to require a good level of social awareness in order to be successful at their field.

hmmmmmmmm

Let's add con-artists, liars, and intellectually dishonest academics to the list for fun.

May you give me a straight answer now?
zarus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I have two books by Poincare expounding his beliefs regarding science, "Science and Method" and "Science and Hypothesis." And if I was so ignorant of Poincare that I had to google his ideas just for this discussion, how would I have thought to even google his name in the first place?

And the "set of all integers" isn't a "generality." Neither is the impossibility of counting out all of them. Number theory is actually a thing that is studied by mathematicians. Which would be obvious to you if you actually knew anything about science. It doesn't take much intelligence to see how the impossibility of counting out this simplest of infinite sets might apply to not being able to know "everything" about our universe, but apparently none of you even have that.

And yeah, people ON THE INTERNET are obsessed with "organizational awareness." Let that sink into your head. All this is is a giant con, an attempt to create bureaucracy where none is needed AT ALL. Not that it's ever really that necessary. You fags should watch this.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:
You act as if you are the only one in the world who hangs out with professors. Your arrogance knows no bounds.

Newsflash: Different types of professors don't speak similarly.

It's convenient I have two degrees and studied at three universities, then (that thing you brought up is suddenly relevant)! Because you still sound like you don't know what you're talking about, when compared to the many intelligent people I've met. It's about the superficiality of your comments, which really has nothing to do with how you speak, but what you say. If you say very little of substance, over and over, you sound like you don't know what you're talking about.

Quote:
The worst part is that I want to be your friend, and if you can see that, then how can you enjoy this?, whatever you want to call it.

I tried being nice to you, for a long time (remember when I would send you PMs when you would get angry at people for not understanding you, and how I did that for about a year?), which you've conveniently forgotten. Then, you stabbed me in the back, and now I have no interest in being nice to you. It's not me, it's you.

Quote:
Dogen wrote:
Quote:
Typical of a dual major.

Yes yes yes, you totally aren't compensating for anything. You have something to prove to rest of the world and no one will stop you.

You brought up my education, not me.

Quote:
What a cop out. I mean Jesus Christ Dogen, you're better than this. I've been hearing this social awareness crap from you for a long time now, and it's getting real old.

Empathy: Yup, pretty sure I understand your passive aggressive emotions, your unhealthy needs, and your superficial concerns.

Right, you think you can read people, but everyone else recognizes that you frequently infer the wrong emotional state onto them. So, we'll have to agree to disagree that you have any awareness of what's happening in my mind. For instance, there's nothing passive about my aggression toward you. It's just straight up relational aggression.

Quote:
May you give me a straight answer now?

I love that you end so many of your posts with this. It's literally the only thing I like about you.

zarus wrote:
It doesn't take much intelligence to see how the impossibility of counting out this simplest of infinite sets might apply to not being able to know "everything" about our universe, but apparently none of you even have that.

"None," as you're using it here, is a term inclusive of everyone. But you haven't been discussing counting to infinity with anyone except Thy. You might include both me and Thy in your set, because I'm currently mocking you both, but it's irrational to include anyone else. You exaggerate a lot.

Quote:
And yeah, people ON THE INTERNET are obsessed with "organizational awareness." Let that sink into your head. All this is is a giant con, an attempt to create bureaucracy where none is needed AT ALL.

No one here is obsessed with organizational awareness. Thy mentioned it once. This whole last bit about bureaucracy (??) is just clownshoes crazy.
zarus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"None," as you're using it here, is a term inclusive of everyone. But you haven't been discussing counting to infinity with anyone except Thy. You might include both me and Thy in your set, because I'm currently mocking you both, but it's irrational to include anyone else. You exaggerate a lot.

Blah blah fucking blah.

Quote:
No one here is obsessed with organizational awareness. Thy mentioned it once. This whole last bit about bureaucracy (??) is just clownshoes crazy.

Your first post is about how I have to understand "group dynamics" or stupid shit like that to justify why you're being an egotistical douchebag while trying not to seem like one, even though only some pants-on-head retard would actually be appeased by your explanation.

Last edited by zarus on Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOUR ARROGANCE BLINDS YOU, MASTER DOGEN

NOW YOU WILL EXPERIENCE THE FULL POWER OF THE DARK THY OF THE FORCE
zarus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, nobody on this forum is arrogant. No hubris at all. No unjustified egoism about being here "first" or some stupid shit like that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: