welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3/2 pebbles was here
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tamalthean

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love that we finally get some backstory (and a name to boot!), and I realize there's nothing holding Tat to any particular age range for any of his characters seeing as how this is a comic and all, but...well, how old was Tange when she got bomfed, anyway? Her original get-up and toys are standard stereotypical pre-pubescent little girl fare, but she had clearly hit puberty when she was devil-fied.

So either today's comic is a flashback to long before the bomfing and Tange has been rocking the same overalls style ever since (making her age...unknown) or she hit puberty soon after this flashback and was bomfed afterwards (making her...probably in her teens) or the Devil is able to make someone spontaneously mature physically and she's actually still a little kid in an older body.

Which kind of makes a lot of sense, when you consider her child-like naivete, difficulties (and subsequent improvement) using the English language despite the fact that we haven't seen any other devil girls undergo any particularly drastic changes in personality/memory, and...well, a lot of things, actually. Like why she seems like a bit of self-made pariah of Devil society (and why she really couldn't care less).

Is...is Tange (trying to get used to the name) actually 4 or 6 or something? 'Cuz that's...um...different.
Istancow

Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damnable! I was all prepared to begin calling her "Dorito".
enchantedsleeper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tamalthean wrote:
Is...is Tange (trying to get used to the name) actually 4 or 6 or something? 'Cuz that's...um...different.

Oooh. I hadn't thought about any of that but now that you mention it, it's super creepy. I don't think she looks to be as young as 4 or 6 in the original strip - she's definitely aged since the flashback we saw today - but she could still be pre-pubescent. She doesn't have visible breasts until after D-man bomfs her, and she does look older. But it could be to do with the angle (which makes her appear taller) and the fact that she's wearing more revealing clothes which outline her figure.

As I've pointed out before, Tange's bomfing wasn't exactly normal - she got bomfed by not only D-man but Slick and 'Nique in quick succession, and then got preached at and sparkled on and all manner of things - so that would account for a lot of her confusion. It may not have anything to do with who she was before she got bomfed. Out of the three theories you suggest, I definitely don't think #2 is the case. The toys in the picture just seem too young for Angie/Tange to have hit puberty anything less than years after that.

Comparing the way she looks in that strip to today's one, there are some subtle changes to her appearance, mostly in the hair. Flashback-Tange has a fringe (bangs) and wears her hair behind her shoulders, in a cutesie little-girl fashion. Pre-bomfing Tange has grown her fringe out and wears a hair slide, and her pigtails rest in front of her shoulders, which generally looks a bit more mature, suggesting an age of 10 to maybe 14. I would put Flashback Tange at age 5 to 8. No younger than 5; after all, she can spell her own name and write in both upper and lower-case letters.

It makes me wonder what kind of events took place in her life between today's flashback and when Slick and Monique see her in the 2011 strip. She seems contented, and she's still wearing the kinds of clothes she likes to wear, so she hasn't been forced back into dresses by whoever made her wear the dress in today's flashback. That could be an argument for not much time having elapsed between the two, but I still think she looks older. Of course, Tats probably didn't know what he wanted to do with her when he first introduced her, so her appearance then won't necessarily match up perfectly with what we know about her now.

super-long analysis post WHAT
Mr Zero

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angie Tangerine sounds so much like a Donovan song, but it's not. As far as I know.
I wonder who out there is disappointed that her name isn't Fruity Orange Pebbles? Smile
Onwards Tangerine! No fear!
tricksterson

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't normally find tangerine trees in the city or suburbs so she probably did come from the country.

I like the idea, not original with me, that her actual name is Tangerine and that her mother's nickname for her was Angie and she decided to call herself Tange.

So do you think Tange is pronounced Tanj or Tangy?
enchantedsleeper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tricksterson wrote:

Do you mean "Tangy" with a hard "g", or with a soft "g" like "Tanjie"? Because the second one would make more sense, but I think it's pronounced "Tanj" either way.
Yorick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tangerine, tangerine
living reflection, of a dream
I was her love, she was my queen
and now a thousand years between

Yorick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angie, annnngie
when will those clouds all disappear
Angie, annnngie
where will it lead us from herrre

stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enchantedsleeper wrote:
tricksterson wrote:

Do you mean "Tangy" with a hard "g", or with a soft "g" like "Tanjie"? Because the second one would make more sense, but I think it's pronounced "Tanj" either way.

I vote tanj as well, since that's the sound heard in tangerine.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:

Has some double meanings for Larry Niven fans, though.
Moor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graybeard wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

Has some double meanings for Larry Niven fans, though.

... Wait, I'm not the only one who thought of that?
Wow.
firestk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like how Tat actually took time to keep what looked like a one off joke and develop her into a character. We could have ended up doing into fridge horror territory wondering what happened to the poor girl who suddenly got bomfed for the crime of walking near DMan. Then again, was it a commentary on the shouted if corruption?
wobster109

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tangerine <3

Suits her better than Amoeba ^^
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aw, i was kinda liking pebbles..but the creator has spoken.

i'd like to think that the devil was not so evil as to bomf children, but i could see pre-bomfed tange as, say 18 - physically mature but mentally still open.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: