welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sewing and other crafts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ennis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Sewing and other crafts Reply with quote

Feel free to post anything about any current projects you're working on or just anything about sewing and other crafts!

So yeah, this is the waistcoat sample I made, based on the first pattern I've ever drawn up which was based on a waistcoat that was custom made for me. I didn't do such a great job on the two lower pockets, I also only just noticed that I don't think they're positioned symmetrically >_> I haven't added buttons or buttonholes yet, so that's what those yellow threads are. I just kinda pinned it together for these photos. Excuse the awful quality.

It was hard trying to take photos of the back. I'm not that flexible.

I can't tell if the creasing in weird places is because I haven't ironed it properly (even though I still did give it a bit of an iron), because I haven't done the buttons yet or because it doesn't have any interfacing. Or if it's not my fault at all and it's just the material. The outer material is quite stiff... I think it's twill or something.
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's looking really good!

It's kind of hard to tell what creases you're concerned about? Sometimes creases happen if the material is heavier and the like... other times it can just be what pose you're in, especially with something a bit more form fitting like your vest. Ironing helps literally everything. Ironing is sooo verrrry important.

I highly recommend on your next project to iron pretty much every seam as you go. It's a bit of a process, but the flatter and nicer your ironed seams, the higher quality the final product is and a lot of ironing is easier done as you go.

Oh whoops, I gotta relocate. Will come back with more to say later, I'm sure.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good to me too - the pockets look even when the vest is on you (at least to my eye).

those are quite sophisticated pockets - if you managed those, you shouldn't have problems with collars, i would think.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's the creasing in the back, that looks normal to me. Good job!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Ironing is sooo verrrry important.

Screw that. Ironing is awful. Just get it wet and throw it in the dryer for 10 minutes before you leave for work...

... what? Oh, I've wandered into a thread about something I don't know about again. My apologies. Which way to the "beers I have drunk" thread?

Ennis: that's a mighty fine vest. I also apparently don't know the difference between a waistcoat and a vest, because that looks like a mighty fine vest, but it barely touches your waist.
Samsally

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Samsally wrote:
Ironing is sooo verrrry important.

Screw that. Ironing is awful. Just get it wet and throw it in the dryer for 10 minutes before you leave for work...

*wailing and teeth gnashing*

Thought it's hysterical to assume I iron every day clothes.

I really really don't.

It's just as you construct it when I give a shit.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i actually kinda got into ironing pieces as i sewed things. it so easy when they are in pieces, as opposed to when you have them all put together.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use the dryer method, though I find I don't need to wet them down first.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Ennis: that's a mighty fine vest. I also apparently don't know the difference between a waistcoat and a vest, because that looks like a mighty fine vest, but it barely touches your waist.

Uh, I'm pretty sure it's covering my waist. The waist area is sort of the general vicinity of where your navel is. Are you thinking of hips?

It's called a vest in America, but in the UK and Australia it's mostly called a waistcoat and only occasionally a vest. Vest is more often used to refer to things like safety vests, life vests, those zip-up puffy things, leather vests etc. Also sometimes sweater vests, but I think they're also called sleeveless jumpers. But people still sometimes call waistcoats vests, and will know what you're talking about if you make the context clear. But "waistcoat" pretty much only refers to the kind I made. We wouldn't call anything a "safety waistcoat". Although it would be pretty funny to.
Samsally

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like a "safety waistcoat" would be a term used on Jeeves and Wooster.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or maybe some sort of steampunk gear.

does anyone actually pronounce it "wes-kit", which i guess is the properly english way to say it? or am i the only one who always calls them vests just because i'm afraid people will look at me funny because a) they didn't know that was the proper pronunciation or 2) it in fact is not.
Ennis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, I've only ever heard it called a "waist coat". Like, exactly as you normally pronounce those words but together.
jwing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought waistcoats were longer than vests. Like, vests ended at the waistband of the pants, and waistcoats extended to hip bone or longer.

Either way, that's a marvelous garment, Ennis. I'm doubly impressed that it's from a pattern you made yourself.
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ennis wrote:
Uh, I'm pretty sure it's covering my waist. The waist area is sort of the general vicinity of where your navel is. Are you thinking of hips?

Probably. I forget that my pants don't actually ride at the waist.

Quote:
It's called a vest in America, but in the UK and Australia it's mostly called a waistcoat and only occasionally a vest. Vest is more often used to refer to things like safety vests, life vests, those zip-up puffy things, leather vests etc. Also sometimes sweater vests, but I think they're also called sleeveless jumpers. But people still sometimes call waistcoats vests, and will know what you're talking about if you make the context clear. But "waistcoat" pretty much only refers to the kind I made. We wouldn't call anything a "safety waistcoat". Although it would be pretty funny to.

Language is fun! I looked up vest in my dictionary and it said in Britain it's called an undershirt, which seems wrong (unless in Britain an undershirt is not the article worn under a dress shirt). Then I looked up waistcoat and the first definition is "a vest." Thanks, American dictionary!

Now I want to know the etymology of "jumper."
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jumper is truly one of those odd words. it doesn't seem like it should apply to clothing at all (who wants jumpy clothing?). in the UK, it's a sweater; in the US, it's a sort of dress - so you can wear a jumper over (or under)(or both, if you are cold enough) your jumper.

and then, i guess, jump around?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: