welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

March 8: Talks about Government
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tricksterson

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but it would be nice to have Tess correct her. Not that I'm holding my breath on that.
zarus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the macro, but this was a little too obvious.
CalmBlueSea

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the police need to have more (and more specific) regulation, and stricter enforcement of a more ethical code of conduct.

Were you trying to make a point?
Rune

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalmBlueSea wrote:
Yes, the police need to have more (and more specific) regulation, and stricter enforcement of a more ethical code of conduct.

Maybe he also hooks up jumper cables to people who say they need more energy, then goes home and laughs because he thinks that makes him clever and superior. They didn't even know what they were asking for, amirite?
zarus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Who enforces this code of conduct? Who makes sure that the right code is put in place to begin with?
cleocatra

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The US just needs a rapid change of society and government lol

in the UK we don't have a perfect police structure, but at least we don't fear our police like you guys do
Yinello

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes one extreme case of police brutality equals the entire police force. Rolling Eyes This obviously means we should do away with the entire police force. Or something. Because image.

It's not like we have a choice on who to put in the government to enforce our own preference in regulations or anything.

(Well, maybe you guys don't Razz)
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zarus wrote:
Quote:

Who enforces this code of conduct? Who makes sure that the right code is put in place to begin with?

Top. Men.
zarus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally believe in sousveillance.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zarus wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, it's hard, so let's just not do it. Because the alternative - what, unregulated police? no police? - is so much more appealing...
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make police accountable for their actions!

Don't put them on paid leave when they beat someone to death on camera, charge them! Kick their ass out the door! For the love of god don't keep them around the precinct, you'll just erode what little faith the public has left in the police.

Legislate in minimum sentencing for cops caught committing crimes while on duty under the badge!

Cameras in every cop car, no exceptions!

Force cops to carry an always-on audio recorder on their belt while on duty!

Fire people for discrimination, don't let it slide with a slap on the wrist!

Until police departments and government start taking serious steps towards police accountability, the public is going to remain suspicious of cops, those demi-gods of the streets who seem to be able to get off with a slap on the wrist for shit that'd get anyone else a 5-year sentence minimum.

A local cop ran a stop sign in my home town, and struck and killed a teenager on a motorcycle. He failed a breathalyzer test. His excuse? He wasn't drinking and driving, he went home after the accident, drank some vodka, then came back to the scene. He got a month of house arrest and 11 months of supervision for it. This same cop had previously been involved in an incident that resulted in a man getting tasered to death that Vancouver Airport and was also undergoing perjury charges in relation to that case.

A month of house arrest on a bullshit excuse, but he's a cop so surprise, of course he's not accountable for his own actions. He's stressed! He's served the community for years! yeah, fuck that. Fuck everything about that.
It read 'Welcome to The End'
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindslicer wrote:
Libertarianism =/= "There'd be no government at all." That's actually anarchy.

I bet some might argue that Libertarians espouse a sort of anarchist-esque -- from a certain light they can seem to have attributes of anarchists. I would say, though, that this interpretations is equivalent to people who think doctors and serial killers are the same psychologically, if that analogy makes sense -- it only works in a very narrow context from a very specific perspective, a 'philosophical optical illusion' if you will.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, there's been tons of schisms in libertarianism and by now you have conservative libertarians and reform libertarians and orthodox libertarians and then you have the hasidic libertarians and the kabbalah

wait, that's something else, but the principle is pretty much the same - the personal label of libertarianism generally now means a great degree of different things to different people, even when the movement is essentially underpinned by some pretty hardcore anals who have very specific and rigid notions about what is actually libertarian.

What's interesting is when you have the tepid "I am a libertarian because of a vague set of antigovernment ideas" types pitted against the orthodox, Rand novel clutching, non-aggression principle types over who am real libertarian.
zarus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cameras on cops are a good idea, apparently.

So, sousveillance.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
What's interesting is when you have the tepid "I am a libertarian because of a vague set of antigovernment ideas" types pitted against the orthodox, Rand novel clutching, non-aggression principle types over who am real libertarian.

I find it funny that the defining characteristic for 'libertarians' is minarchism/anarchism. Shouldn't it be advocacy for individual rights? It seems likes it's become a wee bit perverted, considering the root of the word.

Also find it funny that Ayn Rand is so popular, both with the hard libertarians, and with people who make fun of libertarians. Objectivists and Libertarians disagree on a whole bunch of levels. Rand herself called them hippies, and she thought they were more dangerous than the Conservative religious right and Neo-Liberal left.
It read 'Welcome to The End'

Last edited by fritterdonut on Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: