welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

March 16th: Movin' on up
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
enchantedsleeper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChastMastr wrote:
I just thought of something. Has "Big D" ever actually been called "Satan" in the Sinfest universe? He flunked out of angel school but... since he seems so young here... was there already a pre-existing Devil Person community? Is there another much more genuinely evil being or group of beings? Are there other, nastier devil figures we haven't met yet? Shocked

He's young here, but he's still feared and revered, deferred to by all the other devil people we see in the comic. He still has the limo and presumably the mansion, since we see him recruiting Blue and Fuschia to work there. Though he's younger, we aren't given any evidence that his status is any lower than the Big D we know today.

Also, whether or not he's referred to as Satan outright (and I'm not sure that he hasn't been - someone with a better memory for past comics can field that one), we've seen him acting out Satan's role in the Biblical mythos, which is a pretty strong indicator. Satan is just one of the devil's many names, so it shouldn't be the defining word on his identity.
tricksterson

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChastMastr wrote:
Not to mention that since angel people can flunk out of angel school but, apparently, don't automatically/immediately get horns... what happens to those who don't end up siding with the devil people? Are they their own kind of people we haven't yet seen? Shocked
They become elves.
diagram12345

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChastMastr wrote:
Or, maybe--look at his own eyes and such, compared with now--he was himself less corrupt then and had genuine sympathy for them. (No pun intended ("Sympathy for the Devil") at all here.) Whatever one believes about Satan in the real world, in the Sinfest universe he's really got some "human" feelings and vulnerabilities, perhaps even the possibility of redemption.

This. It does seem that the intended implication is that he's feeling bad for them and wants to help them out, first because Fuschia was being picked on, and second because he may have recognized Blue.
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChastMastr wrote:
I just thought of something. Has "Big D" ever actually been called "Satan" in the Sinfest universe?

There are several instances of D-man being referred to Satan, yes. You can look it up on the archives and quite a lot of results appear. But notorious examples include:

By God

By Seymour

A poster for his movie

By ... Himself? Blue & Fyoosh? Magical Floaty Text Of Dubious Existence?

So I'm going to assume that... nah. There ain't nobody more evil than Satan-Lucifer, Prince of Darkness and Lies, "D-man""Big D", The Devil. As those are all names he had actually been referred to by god, jesus, and multiple other characters.

ChastMastr wrote:
He flunked out of angel school but... since he seems so young here...

Another thing of note, there is no angel school. There is divinity school - and it's dubious whether or not he even attended the school to begin with - which is a totally different thing. An angel school would be a school for angels, divinity school is just... a school for divine beings, for instance demigods like Jesus.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG I had no idea the little boy was supposed to be Jesus there; I just assumed some sort of angel. (I don't usually think of Him as a "demigod" either, but the Jesus in the Sinfest universe may be something like that, I suppose.)
ChastMastr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Of course now I'm imagining a crossover between the Sinfest universe and http://www.welcometohereafter.com ...)
enchantedsleeper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChastMastr wrote:
OMG I had no idea the little boy was supposed to be Jesus there; I just assumed some sort of angel. (I don't usually think of Him as a "demigod" either, but the Jesus in the Sinfest universe may be something like that, I suppose.)

Wellp, when I first read it I thought he was actually a little girl, so... at least you were partway there xD
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big D does look so young here - but looking at it again, it's mostly his hairstyle and his face is maybe a bit rounder....nothing in his actions, really, to suggest he's more innocent. but blue's action definitely attracted his interest...i wonder if it was recognizing her, or appreciating a rebel.

and now i'm wondering if tat will ever tell us - if there will ever be a scene where the devil tells blue why he chose her.
Graybeard

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
big D does look so young here - but looking at it again, it's mostly his hairstyle and his face is maybe a bit rounder....nothing in his actions, really, to suggest he's more innocent. but blue's action definitely attracted his interest...i wonder if it was recognizing her, or appreciating a rebel.

More the latter, but not so much "appreciating" a rebel as looking forward to the enjoyable prospect of suborning and corrupting one. That's what he does, after all. Many bad guys have a tendency to recruit minions, only to find that they turn into smarmy sycophants, which takes the fun out of subsequently blowing them up. It's easy to see that Blue won't follow that path.
mouse wrote:
and now i'm wondering if tat will ever tell us - if there will ever be a scene where the devil tells blue why he chose her.

We know that.

He chose her because she's a firecracker.

He kept her because she's good in bed.
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty sure there's actually zero anything that says they sleep together
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're standing in hellfire so I'm guessing they're in the area where they torture their prisoners. Might be they're just saying that out loud to torture them mentally.

Not to mention D really has no reason to lounge around watercoolers.
enchantedsleeper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The presence of a water cooler at all in the midst of raging fire is pretty funny.

As for the comic strip, though, two thoughts occur - either it was a throwaway joke that Tats fancied making around some current events, before he'd really developed Blue's character and backstory, so we shouldn't necessarily take it seriously; or it's an interesting insight into Blue's character and what things were like for her after she was hired at the mansion.

On another note, I'm surprised they can hear each other at all with all the screaming that usually goes on down there. Or maybe the souls shut up whenever D-man comes along.
Echo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What intrigues me is that Big D is seeking Blue's consent there - it's very much a situation where she's making a choice, despite the whole boss/employee thing. It's not a case of Big D just having to snap his fingers at whoever takes his fancy.

Though yeah, it does also look like a throwaway joke, something that wasn't particularly planned into a multi-year-long plot arc that would bring us to Blue's current unhappiness with her situation. So maybe not something to try and read too much into.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know - that "yes, sir" rather reinforces the boss/employee relationship. yes, he asked - but she still may feel compelled to say 'yes'.

that's the big thing with sexual harassment - it may seem like the woman has a choice, but often she really doesn't - not if she wants to keep her job, or get the promotion, or whatever.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: