welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

March 20: Vagina Dentata Girl
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Vagina Dentata Girl?
yes
31%
 31%  [ 6 ]
hell yes
68%
 68%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 19

Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Estranged wrote:
Two kids talking about a girl with a fanged vagina that can castrate men, as a symbol of female empowerment. Adorable. Poe's law at work, too.

I'm sad to say the obvious - mr. Ishida is going insane. A man who can't have sex for more than a decade slowly descends into madness. The weirdest fantasies, the obsession, the drive for domination and the drive for submission, they all grow stronger.

Some exceptional men like Tesla and Newton were celibate, but they were also geniuses with passions that could override their sex drive. Ishida, sadly, is not one of them. Sinfest started as a story of a friendzoned loser and ends as a story of a zealot cartoonist, sinking into insanity.

sinfest the comic has been getting weird as shit for a while but however weird it's getting it can't hold a candle to the utter insanity of posts like these

"It is a known scientific fact that specifically male celibacy drives men into madness over an average timeframe of ten years," said Dr. Fartshit Poopsculptor esq., Fictional Professor of Westbumblefuck Makeshitup University. "Based off this completely logical and established truthness of male psychosexual tendencies observed by real science, it is clear that Tatsuya, with his documented decade of celibacy, is merely expressing the fact that the weakness of his artistic passion has allowed for his crippling male celibacy induced mental consumption to manifest in his increased artistic derangement."

Nodding to himself and clamping a Peterson pipe betwixt his teeth and thoughtfully scratching his shapely and angular jaw, Dr. Fartshit went on to outline his recommended treatment plan for Tatsuya, opening up with group attendance of men's rights sharing circles and tutoring by pick-up artists, the end goal of which is to find ways to neg some "nines and tens" into acquiescing some "hot dicking" for Mr. Ishida's new alpha male state.

lol negging
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
tricksterson

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we're supposed to approve of Vagina Dentata. I think Theo, not Minique is supposed to represent Tat's viewpoint here.
Leohan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tat has been mocking extremist feminism almost as much as he has been mocking misogyny lately.

I really don't think this is parody from Minique's side. Her expressions don't quite show that. I can see the thought process somewhere along the lines of "There should be a superheroine that can prevent rape because that's a huge issue. Show men that it has consequences and give them what they deserve."

And from there comes an innocent yet noble minded idea with unfortunate implications, I'd say. But whatever it is, you have to be a complete moron to believe that Tat honestly thinks that this is a good idea for a character, much less an heroic one.
Sam

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leohan wrote:
Tat has been mocking extremist feminism almost as much as he has been mocking misogyny lately.

How on earth do you get that impression?
Leohan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Leohan wrote:

How on earth do you get that impression?

Everything involving Lil'Sis is just that. She has been around a lot, lately. I might be exaggerating, I'll admit. I just got that perception.

EDIT: As a sidenote, I wrote that post before I took a look at today's strip with the books, which I think might be another case of it.
Hitsch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OklahomanSun wrote:

The simple truth is that no one here has any legitimate clue what has taken Tat down this path.

True, but Heck, if I could ask him just one question it would be that.

OklahomanSun wrote:

I don't even dislike the path, to an extent. I do think that even comics with an ideological bent to them can devote some time to other storylines, and I can't lie, I'd like to see at least a couple strips a year where Slick and Monique make at least a head fake towards being friends again.

Slicks new glasses might actually help with that. Too bad they can't exchange his glasses to her red pill (switch the male and female views of looking at the patriachatrix).
Rune

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hitsch wrote:
OklahomanSun wrote:

I don't even dislike the path, to an extent. I do think that even comics with an ideological bent to them can devote some time to other storylines, and I can't lie, I'd like to see at least a couple strips a year where Slick and Monique make at least a head fake towards being friends again.

Slicks new glasses might actually help with that. Too bad they can't exchange his glasses to her red pill (switch the male and female views of looking at the patriachatrix).

How do you figure that? I can see how Slick seeing the Patriarchy might help Slick, but how would the Capitalism Glasses help Monique at all?
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Tat is poking fun at cartoonists when they first start out in addition to whatever else he's saying.

This is one of those strips I want more to go on, because it's just a little too much from left field. I enjoy trying to figure out what he's saying in many of these strips, but could use a little something more here.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OklahomanSun wrote:
mouse wrote:
i'm loving the idea that the only reason a man would get interested in feminism is because he has been driven insane because he's not getting any.

obviously it can't be because he has a woman in his life who is inspiring him to think about these things. or maybe estranged figures that all feminists withhold sex from men....i guess to drive them insane, so they won't know they shouldn't be agreeing with the feminist agenda?

i guess this is why the catholic church has such a strong history of empowering women, because it is full of all those celibate men who are insane. like the pope.

Have you noticed how you're imposing your own fantastical version of why Tat has taken this ideological path while lambasting this other person's reason?

The simple truth is that no one here has any legitimate clue what has taken Tat down this path.

I can't even remember the last time they were in a strip together.

actually, i am making no assumptions about why tat has taken this path, i'm just proposing what seems to me a more likely option than that he has been celibate for 10 years (where did he even get 10 years from?)

there are feminist women who associate with men, you know. some of them even try honestly to educate the men they are around. i am interested that you think that possibility is "fantastical".
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:
Hitsch wrote:
OklahomanSun wrote:

How do you figure that? I can see how Slick seeing the Patriarchy might help Slick, but how would the Capitalism Glasses help Monique at all?

understanding where someone is _really_ coming from is always useful. sleaze's glasses show he sees the world as full of some sort of commodities, as opposed to, say, oppressors and oppressees - which is how 'nique's view of the patriarchy is coming across.
Rune

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Rune wrote:
Hitsch wrote:
OklahomanSun wrote:

understanding where someone is _really_ coming from is always useful. sleaze's glasses show he sees the world as full of some sort of commodities, as opposed to, say, oppressors and oppressees - which is how 'nique's view of the patriarchy is coming across.

I'm just not sure she needs the glasses for that. She's always been the more socially conscious and aware of the two, so she already knows about the problems of commodification. That's also not Slick's entire perspective, thank heavens. It's the perspective of his dark side. I don't see that having it shoved in her face as The Way He Sees Things is going to help their friendship at all. It's not exactly a sympathetic point of view. Having it shoved in Slick's own face, however, might just be a wake-up call.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, let's play this out:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Slick: Hey, Monique! Try out these glasses! They say how much things are worth.

Monique: *Tries on the glasses, reads how human beings and nature and everything else are commodified. Looks at Slick and sees a really degrading description of how much he is worth.*

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Considering she's is a long-time activist (Protests! Against the man, man! And for nature!), she'd already realize that corporations in her world think of everything in terms of price and profits. She's seen ads. Why would she be surprised? What exactly is that supposed to rock about her worldview? The only thing the glasses might be able to do is provide insight into how Slick and others like him see the world, and that's probably not going to end in Slick's favor - because Slick is a dick and isn't going to be changing for the better anytime soon. It would just make him look worse and further isolate him from Monique.

But hey, why doesn't someone who does think it would be good try and create that positive scenario? Display your creative prose acumen!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Here, let's play this out:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Slick: Hey, Monique! Try out these glasses! They say how much things are worth.

Monique: *Tries on the glasses, reads how human beings and nature and everything else are commodified. Looks at Slick and sees a really degrading description of how much he is worth.*

... and says "Slicky, these things are so bogus! do you know what they say about you? and they are totally wrong!"

would that work?
Leohan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Slick is a dick and isn't going to be changing for the better anytime soon. It would just make him look worse and further isolate him from Monique.

I strongly disagree with you here.

A year ago I would have agreed. Maybe. But not now. Slick is obviously trying and, at some points, succeeding to be better. That's why Kcils has been appearing more as for late. Because he needed a counterpart to try to undo that progress.

He also replaced him in several depiction of dudebros doing dudebro things that pop up every so often in the comic.
Hekateras

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leohan wrote:
stripeypants wrote:
Slick is a dick and isn't going to be changing for the better anytime soon. It would just make him look worse and further isolate him from Monique.

I strongly disagree with you here.

A year ago I would have agreed. Maybe. But not now. Slick is obviously trying and, at some points, succeeding to be better. That's why Kcils has been appearing more as for late. Because he needed a counterpart to try to undo that progress.

He also replaced him in several depiction of dudebros doing dudebro things that pop up every so often in the comic.

I agree. Slick's been making some heartwarming progress, even if there's obviously still a long way to go. And while he's self-absorbed and often dickish because of his insecurity, when the Sisterhood first appeared, I thought it worth noting that Slick's reaction to being told he was being misogynist was fairly open-minded. He didn't insult Xanthe or dismiss it out of hand as women complaining, he was unsettled enough by it to go seek out information (with Squiggly, and later online), and seemed bothered by the possibility that he might be a misogynist.

What Slick has over a lot of other dudebros is that he generally means well and is relatively open-minded. Not to idealise him, but yeah, he's trying, and has been trying from the start.

This has been a Flawed Character Appreciation Post.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: