welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2014-03-22 Standing in the Hall of Fame
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Istancow

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:01 am    Post subject: 2014-03-22 Standing in the Hall of Fame Reply with quote

Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this supposed to be a criticism of Norman Mailer? I've never heard of him before, but holy shit I don't give a fuck.

or is Tat pulling this petty shit against all of those authors

they're all dead, Tat

I do I think it's funny that Tat's signature lays on the cover of one of the books that the book is refusing to get on the shelf with, though, haha
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orrrr its just a joke based on the mere existence of a sentient book with feminist ideals, maybe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"hahaha, sentient books, isn't that wacky???"

pfffff. They've been in the comic for how many years, now?
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or maybe the angle he's going for is more in line with the thing Leohan just said in that other thread
Quote:
Tat has been mocking extremist feminism almost as much as he has been mocking misogyny lately.

but there's no real hint at that in-comic, soooooo
Leohan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's nitpicking, but the fact that the shelve has different books in each panel ticks me off a little... Or maybe they're all sentient and just dancing around?

It's interesting that the feminist book knows all of those authors! I can't help the image of a book reading books and... Honestly it's kind of silly.
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
"hahaha, sentient books, isn't that wacky???"

pfffff. They've been in the comic for how many years, now?

yeah sentient books have been around for a while but i dont know if youve really noticed this but cracking jokes about a sentient book with FEMINIST IDEALS and how a sentient book with FEMINIST IDEALS is going to approach a situation is a whole new line of coke he hasn't really done as much with, so, y'kno, i still stand by what i said

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this particular comic is like, in addition to working as a sinfest comic (essentially), kind of like something you would come up with if you were trying to play a straight parody of sinfest's ideological messaging
Homeslice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:

I do I think it's funny that Tat's signature lays on the cover of one of the books that the book is refusing to get on the shelf with, though, haha

Huh?

As to your other point, it's strip a day comic, not every single one is going to be a home run.
SA_Penguin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. "I refuse to sit with those people [or those books]"

Now I'm imagining Jackie Robinson, refusing to sit with the other [white] major league baseball players in 1947.

Or, on a more recent note: Sesame Street, teaching about prejudice after 9/11.
How did Big Bird respond, when someone didn't want to play with his friend Snufflleupagus?
"If you don't want to play wth him - I don't want to play with you"

The attitude displayed by the book is... let's be polite... counter-productive.
Rune

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, I dunno, maybe he's making a point about how feminist ideals don't get along well with the blatant and enshrined misogyny of the thinkers of the past, and that's something worth pointing out, and he wrapped a joke about book sex around it, which also pokes a little fun at the stand that really quite a lot of actual feminists take of not having sex with men who talk shit about women. Because DUH.

Objecting to sharing intimacy with someone who disrespects you at a very basic level isn't exactly extreme, though it might be a radical notion of self respect for someone who has internalized that giving oneself over to misogyny is just the deal you strike, the price you pay, to get along with men.

This is not extreme. Not even a little bit. It might be new to some people to think about things that way, but hey, embrace the novelty. Learn something.

Becoming literate about the ways that all of the authors listed individually and collectively talked a lot of stupid smack about women, and how those philosophies are part of the foundation of the western traditions of thought, is a pretty crucial and basic part of feminist critique. Learning why we think and talk the way we do, deconstructing and examining things that we take for granted, is an important part of seeing how and where things can be different.

Or, y'know, go wah-wah that Tat is taking a jab at the Dead White Males. It's not like they ever hurt anyone -important- amirite?
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SA_Penguin wrote:

Now I'm imagining Jackie Robinson, refusing to sit with the other [white] major league baseball players in 1947.

How did Big Bird respond, when someone didn't want to play with his friend Snufflleupagus?
"If you don't want to play wth him - I don't want to play with you"

ooh, moving on to the Round of 32 in the Terrible Analogy Tournament, are we?
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homeslice wrote:

Huh?

The little "T" that Tat signs his work with
he put it on the spine of one of the books along with the other author names

which is hilarious

it's literally the only thing I like about this strip
SA_Penguin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
SA_Penguin wrote:

ooh, moving on to the Round of 32 in the Terrible Analogy Tournament, are we?

http://www.toughpigs.com/extrasesame911.htm
Are you saying that Big Bird shouldn't stand up to Gulliver, for refusing to play with his friend?
Are you saying people of color should refuse to sit with white folk on a bus?

An analogy is: a similarity between like features of two things, on which a comparison may be based. It only becomes a problem, when you claim that being the same on one point, means they will be the same on others.
I left the conclusion up to you. With no conclusion to attack, you challenged the analogy itself. Since you couldn't actually refute it, you settled for calling it "bad" - and now we have descended into a basic English Comprehension debate, about analogies.

Analogy: the heart is like a pump, moving fluid.
[Bad] conclusion: This pump is made of steel, so your heart must made of steel too.

Analogy: Obama is like Hitler, they both are [or were] leaders of countries.
[Bad] conclusion: Obama must plan on invading Poland, and slaughtering millions of Jews.

My analogy: The book is acting like someone saying "just standing next to you taints me".

I leave the conclusions to you.
OklahomanSun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:
Or, I dunno, maybe he's making a point about how feminist ideals don't get along well with the blatant and enshrined misogyny of the thinkers of the past, and that's something worth pointing out, and he wrapped a joke about book sex around it, which also pokes a little fun at the stand that really quite a lot of actual feminists take of not having sex with men who talk shit about women. Because DUH.

Objecting to sharing intimacy with someone who disrespects you at a very basic level isn't exactly extreme, though it might be a radical notion of self respect for someone who has internalized that giving oneself over to misogyny is just the deal you strike, the price you pay, to get along with men.

This is not extreme. Not even a little bit. It might be new to some people to think about things that way, but hey, embrace the novelty. Learn something.

Becoming literate about the ways that all of the authors listed individually and collectively talked a lot of stupid smack about women, and how those philosophies are part of the foundation of the western traditions of thought, is a pretty crucial and basic part of feminist critique. Learning why we think and talk the way we do, deconstructing and examining things that we take for granted, is an important part of seeing how and where things can be different.

Or, y'know, go wah-wah that Tat is taking a jab at the Dead White Males. It's not like they ever hurt anyone -important- amirite?

Well I can definitely agree that we've had a net loss from Aristotle and Kerouac and Hemingway.

I mean geez, it doesn't really matter what they produce, it's completely wiped out by any real or perceived anti feminist slant.

Or maybe I'm being sarcastic and rolling my eyes at today's strip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: