welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2014-03-23 In my last moments of life...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Echo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Avenge me"

<Echo approves of this message>
MerchManDan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it's not impossible that Weapon F thought of vengeance during her final moments, but I doubt she told PXsomethingsomething to avenge her. Well, could be a coincidence.
lostinube

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tekii wrote:
I don't know why people are applying real world logic/knowledge/rules to a microchip from an assassin robot designed to go after a fembot that overcame her programming. Do we even have anything comparable to that?

An assassin robot designed to go after a fembot and they were both created by a demon/someone working for the devil.
enchantedsleeper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MerchManDan wrote:
I guess it's not impossible that Weapon F thought of vengeance during her final moments, but I doubt she told PXsomethingsomething to avenge her. Well, could be a coincidence.

See, I was surprised by that as well. I mean, I tend to be an optimist about these things (everyone is secretly good! We can all get along and be friends!) but the impression I got from that Sunday strip was not that she was thinking of vengeance or feeling bitter or angry. Afraid, yes - for herself and for the life of her new friend (which she tries to preserve by getting as far away from her as possible before she explodes). But does that expression at :00 really look like an "AVENGE ME" expression to you? Or even the one in the third panel, right before the self-destruct countdown starts? Even if the "last moments" memory was not specifically from her last second of life but from somewhere in that time frame, I can't find a point where it looks to me like she's thinking of vengeance.

Also, if the order to avenge her isn't directed at PX... then who?
Geareye

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm inclined to agree with enchantedsleeper, there's nothing in her final expression that says 'avenge me'. To me, it's an obvious 'wow, what a beautiful world ,this world is'-end-of-life-realisation. Oh well.

Also...uhm...if only one memory file remains and that's the supposed 'avenge me', where is the 'mission not completed' data stored? Hmm...maybe the 'experience data' is in her memory and the mission-related-variables are stored somewhere else...hmm...

Also, I said previously that the chip will be from Fightbot and not Death's glider and we'll get a scene with Fembot trying to kill Milton and someone stopping her with something like ''don't be a killer , there's a better way to help your friend, we can restore her memory in one of the spare fightbots and bring her back to life'', buuuuuuuut now...this seem to have lost something of its value. Now all that reincarnated fightbot would be -at least for some time, before she makes new memories- is an avenger. Doesn't suit the impression her final moments produced at all.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bleh
Istancow

Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly hope this doesn't resolve itself as a revenge story. I don't like revenge stories.
Yinello

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the 'Avenge me' is either a corrupted sentence in her final memory or from way before she met Px.
OklahomanSun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure if I was only able to realise in the last moments of my life the potential life I could have experienced and the reality of the world, and I had a way to communicate a message to another version of me, with similar capabilities and none of the proscriptions bound up in my programming against exacting revenge, I'd be directing her to avenge me by burning the whole damn world.

The bitter sadness that can boil in a person at futility can lend itself to some truly incarnate rage.

However, I think people may be overanalysing. It may not be that she gave a message to Px. It may just have been her last thought, and Px's upcoming actions may just be an independent action based on her feelings at watching the killbot die.

Remember that they are similar beings, and therefore there's a logic in them feeling similar things in reaction to that situation.

Side note: Am I the only person who thought Red Dawn circa 1980's? "Avenge me, boys!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu3FRRXqazw
Leohan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enchantedsleeper wrote:
Also, if the order to avenge her isn't directed at PX... then who?

MMXIII, naturally!

He didn't really get the chance, I fear.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
zarus wrote:
microchips don't work that way

no, they don't

but this is a shitty Terminator reference
what do you expect

zarus wrote:
I mean that if you destroy enough of the circuitry to erase all the memory except 1 last memory, how the hell do you manage to preserve that last memory? It's like dropping a nuke on Bikini Atoll and leaving one tree alive.

actual CPUs in the foreseeable future might have persistent caches

they're already considering persistent RAM, even to the point of merging RAM with mass storage

in which case, assuming the chip is intact, the data in the processor might very well be the robot's last thought, even if all the other components were lost

I think a persistent cache explains away this particular complaint quite nicely. Unfortunately, while realistic, it has the distinct disadvantage of contradicting absolutely everything else about the way this chip is portrayed.

Mr Zero wrote:
Microchips don't work that way? Maybe not the one in my computer, but the one in my phone sure does.

NOPE

A PHONE PROCESSOR IS THE SAME THING AS A COMPUTER PROCESSOR

your phone is a computer

assuming it's high-end its processor probably uses the ARM architecture (just like one of my laptops!) and is optimised to run cool on a minimal amount of power, sacrificing speed

You're missing a vital point: a processor chip just simply looks cooler than a HDD, SSD, or memory card.

Now what would have been REALLY cool? If she had a mini-disc ala Cherry2000, one of the best-worst B movies ever
Also, it would have been more believable to recover the memories.

Also, a "dating scene" from the movie (Morpheus?!?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urS8GmwmeWQ

I forget if it was Scif fi, or Cinemax, but one of those stations used to play this movie fairly regularly in the rotation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Moor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, but way cooler than the concept of persistent RAM -- for a while in the 90s, RAM was being worked on more than normal storage.
To the point that they were talking about what might happen when RAM become as cheap as any other type of memory.
Like, everything was RAM.
Basically.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moor wrote:
To the point that they were talking about what might happen when RAM become as cheap as any other type of memory.

We're already basically there. The newer desktops have more space in RAM than the HDDs of most computers <15 years ago, and portable devices don't really need much more space than that.

My chromebook has more RAM than open SSD space.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, guys, girls, everyone, you all NEED to go see Cherry 2000.

Tat, this goes for you too if you haven't seen it.

Or at least the first video I linked, it's a short review/synopsis of the whole thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
tricksterson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, it's delightfully cheesy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: