welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

March 29: The Nerdinadi
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Echo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fanboy2 wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:
....ok. I get that the tape is meant to hold together the frames of the glasses. But the Nerdinati logo has tape where the lens should be and it's driving me crazy.

You passed the Final Test! You are a part of the Nerdinati now! Welcome!

And i wonder what their motto means....

Google Translate says "NERD order dispatched from", which, unmangled, probably started off as "From the Order of Nerds".

Also, fezzes are cool and Amy and River had no right to steal and blast the fez. And I will miss Matt Smith because now we won't have the bow-tie-and-fez thing and are stuck with Malcolm Tucker instead.
jrdelirio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echo wrote:
fanboy2 wrote:

And i wonder what their motto means....

Google Translate says "NERD order dispatched from", which, unmangled, probably started off as "From the Order of Nerds".

Odd, because to me GT says "Nerd Order Ever" Maybe you entered it without telling it that it is Latin?

It's a light riff on the reverse of the Great Seal (look in the back of a 1 dollar note, on the left), in which one of two mottoes is "Novus Ordo Seculorum" meaning "[There is] a new order of the ages". That is often interpreted by more modern readers as "new world order".

Sometimes I have to remind myself I've got to be quite a bit of a nerd to know about that.
Echo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It says "seclorum" (GT gives me "nerd order is dispatched") rather than "seculorum" (GT gives me "nerd order ever", like you got). Whether that's a typo on Tat's part or not, I don't know, but your explanation based on it being "seculorum" makes sense.
enchantedsleeper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ennis wrote:
Doesn't Crim usually wear a bow tie anyway? It's actually a bit odd that he isn't. At least he won't find it a challenging request.

He's wearing pyjamas in this strip though, because he was getting ready for bed, and putting the books to bed, but then the feminist book refused to go to bed, hence the fetching a large pile of Nancy Drew books for it to sleep next to instead.

I've been wondering this since the initial strip in this "storyline" - what happened to that pile of books by female authors that Xanthe dropped off at Criminy's tree ages and ages ago? Can't he just shelve the feminist book next to those? He must still have them somewhere.

Last edited by enchantedsleeper on Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he gave them back?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Hekateras

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*hisses at all the Moffat-era Doctor Who images here*

(Do we have a Doctor Who discussion thread somewhere in the other forum section? Because we should.)

*hisses at Doctor Who images some more*

That aside, this is interesting. I wonder where this is going. Is Tat going to get into the "controversy" about "fake geek/nerd girls" that's been rearing its ugly head? Would be pretty cool. Though introducing the Nerdinati for that purpose would've been more appropriate with a female character since male geeks typically can go their whole lives without their "geek cred" being challenged. We'll see.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a play on Novus Ordo Seclorum, which means "New Order of the Ages." It is part of the Great Seal of the USA, and it comes from an old Latin poem.

http://greatseal.com/mottoes/seclorumvirgil.html

I've seen it in graffiti form, and I assume people think it refers to "New World Order."

Rune

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
This is a play on Novus Ordo Seclorum, which means "New Order of the Ages." It is part of the Great Seal of the USA, and it comes from an old Latin poem.

http://greatseal.com/mottoes/seclorumvirgil.html

I've seen it in graffiti form, and I assume people think it refers to "New World Order."

So, Nerd World Order? I can get behind that.

I'd be really happy if this particular order really did judge things just by merit--nerd merit in this case--regardless of gender, as an example of how it should be, and just skips playing out the arc that we wish REAL nerd-dom would follow of growing past Yet More Stupid Misogyny. The fact that Crim got a positive reaction for his Nancy Drew and Feminist books gives me hope for this.
Echo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Darqcyde - I think Crim is the type to politely return books, having read them, in the condition they were lent to him. And to assume they were on loan unless a specific gift. And he certainly wouldn't break the spine or anything like that.

<Has flashbacks of loaning books to the Undeserving>

Oh, and is Nancy Drew particularly nerdy? I don't remmeber them very well, but I do remember being tucked up in a corner of a library somewhere and reading some of them, and looking back it doesn't strike me as above the average level of nerdiness...

Oh, and we do need a Doctor Who thread... but I suggest an inclusive one where we can appreciate and enjoy all the Doctors. Though I'm fine with being rude about Moffat. ;-D
Hydro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would've preferred an offer to this organization rather than the national honor society one I got.....

And, Echo, I know how you feel...I have a few books that were permanently crippled...*sniff*
MerchManDan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fanboy2 wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:
....ok. I get that the tape is meant to hold together the frames of the glasses. But the Nerdinati logo has tape where the lens should be and it's driving me crazy.
You passed the Final Test! You are a part of the Nerdinati now! Welcome!
Yinello wrote:
*bzzzt* Prepare to be absorbed into super secret Nerdinati Agent training, 3, 2, 1...

YES!! I get to be a Nerd In Black!!

OOOW SHITSHITSHIT
enchantedsleeper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echo wrote:
Oh, and is Nancy Drew particularly nerdy? I don't remmeber them very well, but I do remember being tucked up in a corner of a library somewhere and reading some of them, and looking back it doesn't strike me as above the average level of nerdiness...

I think it's more the fact that Crim is doing something late at night which is 100% related to books, and not only that, he's acting as if the books have personalities (well, we know they do, but the Nerdinati doesn't), is taking time to understand those personalities and to accommodate their needs. That's pretty nerdy.

mouse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nancy drew i don't think was particularly nerdy (she kinda predates nerds) - but she was a great early example of an empowered woman (or girl, rather), who went out and investigated mysteries all on her own (or with her boyfriend as side-kick)- so i'm sure the feminist book will approve of her.
diagram12345

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Nancy Drew books were ghost-written by men, was originally created by a man, and the woman whose name is on the covers isn't a real person. Still, no harm done unless feminist book finds out. =)
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wikipedia wrote:
A cultural icon, Nancy Drew has been cited as a formative influence by a number of women, from Supreme Court Justices Sandra Day O'Connor[9] and Sonia Sotomayor to Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton[10] and former First Lady Laura Bush.[11] Feminist literary critics have analyzed the character's enduring appeal, arguing variously that Nancy Drew is a mythic hero, an expression of wish fulfillment,[12] or an embodiment of contradictory ideas about femininity.[13]

it's all about the impact.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: