welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2014-04-03 - Like a Room Without a Roof
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vector010

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:57 am    Post subject: 2014-04-03 - Like a Room Without a Roof Reply with quote

Let's see how many misinterpret this message. heh

I'm gonna sing the doom song now. Doom dee doom doom doom...
Mr. Meddler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aka, they went to a lingerie shop >.>

Click here to see my artwork!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sayin'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
OklahomanSun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: 2014-04-03 - Like a Room Without a Roof Reply with quote

vector010 wrote:

It's not that ambiguous.
vector010

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: 2014-04-03 - Like a Room Without a Roof Reply with quote

OklahomanSun wrote:
vector010 wrote:

It's not that ambiguous.

I can think of at least one way it could be taken wrong. People might think that the message is "women are only happy without men," which of course, it isn't.

I'm gonna sing the doom song now. Doom dee doom doom doom...
diagram12345

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: 2014-04-03 - Like a Room Without a Roof Reply with quote

vector010 wrote:
OklahomanSun wrote:
vector010 wrote:

It's not that ambiguous.

I can think of at least one way it could be taken wrong. People might think that the message is "women are only happy without men," which of course, it isn't.

Well, that does sound like message (or at least, it's Justice's opinion). 'Nique "looks happy," therefore she must have spent the day without men. What alternate interpretation is there?
Istancow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

└ cause des garšons !
Et du "qu'en dira-t-on"
On pleure sur tous les tons
└ cause des garšons !
On s'allume pour de bon
└ cause des garšons !
Rune

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: 2014-04-03 - Like a Room Without a Roof Reply with quote

diagram12345 wrote:
vector010 wrote:
OklahomanSun wrote:
vector010 wrote:

It's not that ambiguous.

Well, that does sound like message (or at least, it's Justice's opinion). 'Nique "looks happy," therefore she must have spent the day without men. What alternate interpretation is there?

How about:

'Nique has been experiencing near-constant personal angst with the patriarchy and running into Dudes Who Don't Get It as well as generally frustrating dynamics that come up within patriarchal social structures almost any time that men and women interact, so a sudden shift in her demeanor to one of unworried and untroubled happiness is recognizable to another women who has experienced the same as being the result of a rest from all things Patriarchy and a chance to revel in human socialization without it.

See, no need to generalize it to all women when we know what 'Nique's unique personal circumstance is. OR EVER. BECAUSE FEMINISM.
swicked

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: 2014-04-03 - Like a Room Without a Roof Reply with quote

diagram12345 wrote:
...exactly that. That it's her opinion.
Also, not so much an absolute as a more-likely-than-the-alternative.
Pixi-san

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be be surprised at how many women dont appreciate the company of other women in general, other than their besties, simply for the fact that they are women and therefor, uninteresting and unworthy of attention.

Alas, I was one of those unawaringly man worshipping, women (self) haters in retrospect.
It really is so subtle and insidious that it took deep introspection for me to become self aware of this.

Its not about putting men down, but not placing them on some imaginary pedestal either, at the expense of realizing yourself.
swicked

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: 2014-04-03 - Like a Room Without a Roof Reply with quote

Rune wrote:
diagram12345 wrote:

How about:

'Nique has been experiencing near-constant personal angst with the patriarchy and running into Dudes Who Don't Get It as well as generally frustrating dynamics that come up within patriarchal social structures almost any time that men and women interact, so a sudden shift in her demeanor to one of unworried and untroubled happiness is recognizable to another women who has experienced the same as being the result of a rest from all things Patriarchy and a chance to revel in human socialization without it.

See, no need to generalize it to all women when we know what 'Nique's unique personal circumstance is. OR EVER. BECAUSE FEMINISM.

...because (name of blond trike sisterhood kid) has been keeping tabs on 'Nique's life and isn't just making a generalization.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: 2014-04-03 - Like a Room Without a Roof Reply with quote

swicked wrote:
...because (name of blond trike sisterhood kid) has been keeping tabs on 'Nique's life and isn't just making a generalization.

We all do this all the time with people we know and talk to regularly. "You look happy, you must have heard back about the job," or whatever. Change the variable of what Xanthe interprets as the cause and it suddenly sounds less inflammatory.
diagram12345

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, fair enough - it makes much more sense as a personalized message.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: 2014-04-03 - Like a Room Without a Roof Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
swicked wrote:

We all do this all the time with people we know and talk to regularly. "You look happy, you must have heard back about the job," or whatever. Change the variable of what Xanthe interprets as the cause and it suddenly sounds less inflammatory.

After re-reading this, I think what Xanthe wanted to hear was actually the opposite of what she said. I think she wanted 'Nique to be happy without having to be around "only a lady friend in a women safe space with no dudes around"; her posture in the last panel seems to be one of melancholic affirmation. Kinda like "Yeah, that's what I figured, but I wish it didn't have to be that way." sort of thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Yinello

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darq makes a good point. Xanthe isn't going all 'Hell yeah girl, who needs men!" More like "kind of sucks men around you make you feel this way."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: