welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2014-04-03 - Like a Room Without a Roof
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Echo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squeeeee! 'Nique had a great day with Abby!

I want to see Abby's take on this now.
OklahomanSun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever there is opportunity for interpretation, there is always the blurred line between the subject material and the interpretation of the reader.

In this particular, there are definitely some people reading a lot into this.

To say that this strip is implying that all women have this feeling is definitely wrong, as was mentioned. I would agree with that wholeheartedly.

However, I do think people are interpreting away from the meaning of the strip. They're reading a lot into it that simply isn't anywhere but in their own hopes or ideas for the characters.

The strip is all lead up until the last panel, so what really needs to be focused on is the dialogue. Obviously with a panel like that, there isn't really anything else to go on that people could cue off to get clues, like body language or expression.

The last line simply says "Like I said, you seem happy." Certainly that can be taken as an understanding of 'Nique's mindset, but it's not a far stretch to say that it also demonstrates Xanthe's mindset as well.

Making guesses about meaning is always about the balance of probabilities. Consider what's available to us in the strip, and what's been made available to us in the past history of the characters.

Considering the past, with strips like Women Only Zones and etc with which Xanthe has demonstrated enjoyment, I think the probabilities are greater that they're simply both agreeing that a day spent without men is an enjoyable day.

I'd definitely give that the balance of probabilities.

I'm sure in an abstract way there is regret that the system is as they perceive it to be, but I'm not sure you can take that abstract feeling of remorse over a bad situation and extrapolate it into an active meaning like some have been espousing.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

y'know, three times out of four I'm in the "argh, people are going to misinterpret this, aren't they. Maybe even intentionally! Ack!" crowd

but no
not here

there really isn't anything to misinterpret here
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
y'know, three times out of four I'm in the "argh, people are going to misinterpret this, aren't they. Maybe even intentionally! Ack!" crowd

but no
not here

inb4 15 page thread because everyone has their own personal interpretation and GODDAMN everyone needs to know it NOW.

Last edited by fritterdonut on Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yinello

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna pull a Raven and go "eh, whatever".
Timpie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't obvious that they were in the women only space the entire time. I guess it affirms that women can't go anywhere in the sinfest universe without being accosted?
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OklahomanSun wrote:
The strip is all lead up until the last panel, so what really needs to be focused on is the dialogue. Obviously with a panel like that, there isn't really anything else to go on that people could cue off to get clues, like body language or expression.

I'm betting subtlety is often lost on you, isn't it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Moor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO! No rants about personal interpretations and stuff! No! We are not going down that path!

Those things always collapse down into "well, how can we know or say anything for certain"! And THAT HAS AN ANSWER YOU MINDLESS ARMCHAIR PHILOSOPHER! THE ANSWER IS BY DEFINING YOUR FRIGGIN TERMS BEFORE THE MATH PEOPLE GET KEYBOARD-SHAPED IMPRESSIONS IN THEIR FOREHEADS.

So instead, let's talk about how Xanthe! Why did you have to say that! You could have used that to start an actual conversation! Maybe even talked about your day or something! I mean, I love you, but you're so flat that your aerodynamic efficiency on the bike is double what it should be!
enchantedsleeper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moor wrote:
So instead, let's talk about how Xanthe! Why did you have to say that! You could have used that to start an actual conversation! Maybe even talked about your day or something!

Mmmm, it's disappointing that Xanthe's exchanges with other characters always have so little variety to them. Mostly my reaction to this strip (no matter how it's interpreted) was "God damn it, not this again."

Also, after panel 2 I was kinda hoping the conversation might be leading towards some hints about 'Nique's feelings for Abby. Alas.

ShadowCell

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moor wrote:
So instead, let's talk about how Xanthe! Why did you have to say that! You could have used that to start an actual conversation! Maybe even talked about your day or something! I mean, I love you, but you're so flat that your aerodynamic efficiency on the bike is double what it should be!

AHA

xanthe is an engineer

it all makes sense now
Yinello

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Xanthe isn't real. She appears in the minds of others when they need to reflect back on their ideas. That's why she never talks about herself.
MerchManDan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:

but no
not here

I'm not sure that's true because at first I misinterpreted the comic. Then I read this thread and realized my error. Thanks, comic sub-forum!
Geareye

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
Maybe Xanthe isn't real. She appears in the minds of others when they need to reflect back on their ideas. That's why she never talks about herself.

After all, her last name is justice and true justice hasn't been realised in sinfestverse....DUN-DUN-DUN
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pixi-san wrote:
You might be be surprised at how many women dont appreciate the company of other women in general, other than their besties, simply for the fact that they are women and therefor, uninteresting and unworthy of attention.

Alas, I was one of those unawaringly man worshipping, women (self) haters in retrospect.
It really is so subtle and insidious that it took deep introspection for me to become self aware of this.

Its not about putting men down, but not placing them on some imaginary pedestal either, at the expense of realizing yourself.

i was thinking something along these lines - that monique is learning to genuinely value herself, and other women, without reference to men. once she is solid in her new sense of self-worth, then she can move on to other interactions.

and i don't know that i agree that xanthe is pensive in the last frame. i interpret the little dash that i interpret as her mouth being a half-smile - and i think she always looks down before she roars off on her trike.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm stating to lean more towards Xanthe's reaction in the last panel purposefully being ambiguous. Perhaps it's for the sake of fostering conversation, perhaps Tat wasn't sure how she should be reacting, or maybe Tat's just fucking with everyone.

The assumptions that a piece of media is always intended to be clearly understood or only meant to convey a single message are fallacious at best, dangerous at worst.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: