welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2014-04-03 - Like a Room Without a Roof
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rune

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Pixi-san wrote:
You might be be surprised at how many women dont appreciate the company of other women in general, other than their besties, simply for the fact that they are women and therefor, uninteresting and unworthy of attention.

Alas, I was one of those unawaringly man worshipping, women (self) haters in retrospect.
It really is so subtle and insidious that it took deep introspection for me to become self aware of this.

Its not about putting men down, but not placing them on some imaginary pedestal either, at the expense of realizing yourself.

i was thinking something along these lines - that monique is learning to genuinely value herself, and other women, without reference to men. once she is solid in her new sense of self-worth, then she can move on to other interactions.

and i don't know that i agree that xanthe is pensive in the last frame. i interpret the little dash that i interpret as her mouth being a half-smile - and i think she always looks down before she roars off on her trike.

This definitely comes to mind. A lot of women have told me that this has resonated deeply with them, and helped them to come to a place where they can begin to have genuine friendships.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But then you have my wife. She used to think she was one of those "women who don't like women."

Then she realized it was only because the word 'misanthrope' wasn't in her vocabulary. Wink

Seriously though, all joking aside, it's not people she has the issue with, it's the false social persona many people, from all walks of life, try to project.

Like her one sister (let's call her L), for example. My wife doesn't dislike her sister for who her sister is, but it's more about the fact that L hides her real self under an obnoxiously fake persona. L is the sort of person (because men most certainly do this too) who can only "be herself" when she's drinking. Which is frankly kinda sad. I pity L, my wife's not so forgiving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sometimes women just really hate other women and/or are ruthlessly antagonistic to them out of various competitive urges which may or may not but usually are a product of patriarchal unevennesses in society

even in those situations where the patriarchy can't be isolated as a root cause, man some women just really, really hate other women

at the same time there's also men who just don't interact with people they don't think they can bone
Ennis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's always a third option: the ambiguity was accidental because the drawing style is so simple. Or, it is purposely ambiguous, but only because the deadline was approaching/Tat wanted to get it finished off, he couldn't think of what expression to give Xanthe, so looking down at her trike with a two pixel mouth it was. Then he might come to the forum, read all the interpretations and decide which one he likes best for later strips.
Moor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOU ARE SO WRONG ENNIS HER MOUTH IS SIX PIXELS.
(Three or four pixels if you want to round it.)
Pixi-san

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:
mouse wrote:
Pixi-san wrote:
You might be be surprised at how many women don't appreciate the company of other women in general, other than their besties, simply for the fact that they are women and therefor, uninteresting and unworthy of attention.

Alas, I was one of those unawaringly man worshiping, women (self) haters in retrospect.
It really is so subtle and insidious that it took deep introspection for me to become self aware of this.

Its not about putting men down, but not placing them on some imaginary pedestal either, at the expense of realizing yourself.

i was thinking something along these lines - that monique is learning to genuinely value herself, and other women, without reference to men. once she is solid in her new sense of self-worth, then she can move on to other interactions.

and i don't know that i agree that xanthe is pensive in the last frame. i interpret the little dash that i interpret as her mouth being a half-smile - and i think she always looks down before she roars off on her trike.

This definitely comes to mind. A lot of women have told me that this has resonated deeply with them, and helped them to come to a place where they can begin to have genuine friendships.

Thanks Mouse, I needed to read that. I'm at the stage where I feel guilty for overlooking the women in my life and women in general, in all their glorious diversity. Like I said, I was totally unaware of it.

It's extra-shameful for me, because I really believed I didn't buy all the girls-should-be-like this crap I saw.

I guess I kind of threw the baby out with the bathwater when I went the other way and told myself I just couldn't 'mix' with girls in general- as if I was some special/retarded snowflake and all other girls were inexplicable feminine goddesses into mundane silly things like strawberry print panties. What's up with that?

Words like 'feminine' and 'sensitive' repulsed me because I equated them with 'weak' 'vulnerable' 'silly' and 'shame'.

I somehow balanced myself out with my personal mantra that "everybody is a minority of one" and not to generalize based on race/culture/social status/age. But that gender bias/preference still hovered in the background.

Sometimes I even mused I was a boy/man trapped in a girl/woman's body - if that were the case I'd be a real douche-bag in a woman's body. I liked the things the men and boys in my family liked : computers, videogames etc. and rejected most 'girly' things on principle.

To add to my confusion I still had embarrassing 'feminine' yearnings : to feel beautiful, to feel adored , to feel graceful , to feel safe , to feel wanted and desirable......and I believed for a very long time these were things only a MAN could provide me with, that only a MAN could make real, prove real.

And yet..the men/boys around me in general seemed to never see me in that light, and if they did for some reason , I'd think there was something wrong with them, because I clearly chose NOT to see myself as the feminine ideal that both eluded me and repelled me in equal measure. I bewildered myself.

I got myself SO muddled up over unwittingly wanting to feel desirable to men while avoiding 'typical girliness' like the plague. Not so recently by accident I've experimented/explored/toyed around with the FemDom, Female Supremacy etc. - with happily obliging men , surprisingly- and although I know these concepts seem to be the other extreme of the Patriarchy , some of the ideas and concepts seem to click with me and work in my life...and seem to have injected some perspective and balance into my mindset and attitude.

Yet even this sexual roleplaying , as natural as I am at it at being dominant, is pandering to a degree to male fantasy. So for now I detach myself from it, retaining the self-confidence, to find myself further, and I see a Queen budding in every woman, not just the ones men choose to kneel to (and a noble King in every self-aware man, too).

Anyway. It led to a lot of searching, exploring, interesting problems but also self-discovery. And appreciation for womankind, and kindness to women, and kindness in general to everyone.

Back to Sinfest, I'm thinking Monique in her earlier form was Tats male fantasy of what an ideal radical , powerful intelligent , non-traditional,free thinking non-stereotypical girl would be... with a dose of that girly sex appeal , of course.

As Tats perceptions of 'feminine' 'female' and 'woman' changed , so did Monique. If a woman is unappealing, she is still a woman. She still has value. She still has so much to offer.

Monique was Tat's idea of a non-typical girl.
But there's no such thing as a typical girl.
Just like there's no such thing as a typical Black or Jew or Muslim.

I think the only truly original,non-typical girls nowadays
Are the ones who totally love and accept themselves
and do not hold on to what other people say they should or should not be.
No body issues, no insecurities, no doubts.
Just all love, the powerful, strong, cosmic, evolutionary kind. That can heal and change the world, one soul at a time.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It always kills me a little inside when women brag about how guys like them because they "aren't like other girls".

I just think "no... you're doing the thing... don't do the thing, it's bad for you and will inevitably make you feel shitty. love yourself without trashing other people."

"and seriously fuck whatever boys think"

Anyway most of my friends are ladies now (offline, anyway) because I got super duper sick of dude friends disappearing when they realized I wasn't interested in dating and/or sleeping with them. I'm sure not all dudes are like that. probably. like the married/committed relationship ones are usually safe. *sigh*

it makes me wonder sometimes if there is no other reason someone would want to be around me... but then i remember all my really awesome lady friends and i feel really bad for anyone who pushes those friendships away all over again.
Yinello

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
It always kills me a little inside when women brag about how guys like them because they "aren't like other girls".

Sadly I was like that. Having "boyish" interests (gaming, DBZ, nerd stuff) led me to having many guy friends and constantly trying to prove that I was not like "other girls". It did set me on the path of discovering that I was being part of the problem and my fictional characters changed from being only tomboy kickboxing types to women who like kickboxing and cupcakes (shallow analogy I know).

Last edited by Yinello on Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm pretty sure the reason it kills me so much is because I identify with it, too.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pixi-san is truly indeed our own Kamala Khan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: