welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Anti-Sim
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: The Anti-Sim Reply with quote

Hi, I'm a relatively new Sinfest reader and a first-time poster here.

Forgive me if other people have pointed this out, but I wanted to say that Tatsuya Ishida strikes me as almost an exact mirror image of Cerebus creator Dave Sim. Sim's lighthearted funny animal/sword-and-sorcery comic book mutated into a serious exploration of Sim's worldview and, in particular, his beliefs that the modern world is an evil feminist dystopia and women are obviously inferior beings who have no morals and shouldn't be allowed to vote. (Nevertheless, it's our sacred moral duty to sign a petition saying that Sim is not a misogynist.) Conversely, Tat's lighthearted, somewhat Bloom Countyish (from what I've seen of the early ones) web comic mutated into a fairly serious exploration of his worldview and, in particular, his beliefs that feminism is a vital force for good in an evil patriarchal culture and that white American "dudes" are oppressive jerks. In both cases, plenty of longtime fans were/are pissed at their favorite cartoonist's jarring shift in subject matter and apparent decision to create "propaganda" instead of "entertainment." I think both departures are kind of fascinating, though--they amount to fairly generic entertainment becoming something very personal.

On a slightly different note--people were speculating on one of the other threads about the origins of Tat's feminist awakening, and I have a theory about that. I think he may have been inspired by a feminist blog called "I Blame the Patriarchy," which is at blog.iblamethepatriarchy.com. The blog is filled with much of the same language and many of the same themes I've noticed in Sinfest, such as the constant use of the word "dudes" instead of "men" and putdowns of BDSM and "funfeminism." I was totally obsessed with the blog for a long time, as the author, who calls herself "Twisty Faster," is someone I love to hate (despite the fact that I'm not particularly anti-feminist). My comments on her blog actually prompted her to devote an entire blog entry to attacking me, which made me feel like a complete jerk, so I've resolved to stay away from there.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting . . .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Istancow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well hello, Jack! You seem to have a fascinating take on the strip. Welcome to the forums!
Geareye

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Istancow wrote:
Well hello, Jack! You seem to have a fascinating take on the strip. Welcome to the forums!

Istancow, I just love you, there's no other way to say this. You're absolutely delightful.
Istancow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I love you, Geareye!
Mr. Meddler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I love you, deli-style ham!

Click here to see my artwork!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Moor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Jack -- It seems you wanted to have a serious conversation. ...I'm so sorry...)
Adyon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serious conversation? On the Sinfest forums? What is this madness you speak of?

Besides, any time a serious conversation starts, some random angry jack-hole mysteriously appears to rile the place into a shit-flinging circus.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jack, definitely an interesting view and of course, welcome to our crazy little cave.

Personally I'm not a fan of both extremes, a movement should always be about building up the people you want to help and not devoting all your time towards hating groups. I'm not sure how much Tat is into the blog (if he is) considering most of his characters are often just gag characters (like BDSM guy) that don't always display a proper opinion. I do like that Tat's comics often brings frothing misogynists to the forum that others awesomely take down with logic and reason.

Yes, I am one of those people who like to watch e-drama. Razz
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that point about how Sinfest seems to be very personal for the artist is a good one that's worth keeping in mind, though. Tat almost never gives interviews or interacts with his readers in any way, so his influences these days can really only be guessed at. i'm not really sure the Patriarchy stories are where Tat turned so introspective, for lack of a better word, though. the comic has had blatantly political and vaguely spiritual interests for years. but describing Sinfest as the work of a cartoonist who's exploring his own beliefs would explain a lot about it, especially the glacial pace of the plot(s).

still, i feel like feminism sort of stepped onto the spotlight in internet communities (or at least, from my perspective, it did) only a couple years ago, and it's only natural that webcomics should reflect that shift too. David Willis went in the same direction, although he's probably been even less subtle about it than Sinfest.
Rune

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I've felt more than once that Tat must be reading some of the same forums and websites that I do, because of how the timing of certain strips coincides with other things. But I think that might be that a lot of online feminist discussion and thinking does kind of function like a discussion going on in one big room. There are lots of "tables" but they can all kind of hear each other, or lean over and pay attention and interact, and feed off of and feed into each other's discussions, and a lot of the same stuff gets passed around.
Yinello

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moor wrote:

(Jack -- It seems you wanted to have a serious conversation. ...I'm so sorry...)

What movie is this from?
Istancow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Megamind!
Yinello

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must watch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: