welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Anti-Sim
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samsally

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my god Yinello I'm kind of envious you get to watch Megamind for the first time. It's definitely one of my favorites.

(When you've seen it let me know I'll link you the fanart I made.)
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
Must watch.

Oh it's even funnier with Brad Pitt doing the voice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhRtSHupVNI
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's likely to be no single source blog for tatsuya's ideological inspiration. but i almost have the ideology of the strip mapped out completely (why i did this i have no idea, was i just bored) - only one large question about it remains
Ennis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Oh my god Yinello I'm kind of envious you get to watch Megamind for the first time. It's definitely one of my favorites.

(When you've seen it let me know I'll link you the fanart I made.)

Oh my god I also love Megamind. Of all the movies to not make a sequel to, Dreamworks, WHY. I've seen it so many times...
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't poke around the Megamind fanfiction as much as I should, but if anybody writes me this I am SO THERE.
Jack

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the nice welcome! Looking back, my original post seems kind of lame and pretentious, but as the kids say, whatever.

Rune and Sam are probably right about Mr. Ishida's ideology having no single source. I've hardly ever read a radical feminist blog apart from the one I mentioned, so maybe its tone and outlook are widespread. Sam, what's the question about Ishida's ideology that remains?

I guess it's not that unusual for a comic to make a surprising turn and get a lot more personal or political over the years. I mean, Peanuts was originally about the antics of a lovable little scamp, Doonesbury was about a nerdy college student, Love and Rockets was about cute female rocket ship mechanics, etc. Unlike novelists, filmmakers, etc., cartoonists tend to serialize their work, so a lot of them wind up carrying characters from their juvenilia into their mature work. Still, I noticed that no one replied to my Ishida/Dave Sim comparison. Maybe most of you aren't familiar with Cerebus? There might not be much overlap between webcomics readers and comic book readers; I generally don't read many webcomics myself.
Leohan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speculation about Tat's change of direction in the comic has been around for quite a while, but people tend to forget that it wasn't immediately the feminist stuff, it's just lasting longer.

It kind of started with a simple "Today I'm vegan!" 'Nique strip (There were a lot of those back in the day) and then it became environmentalist and then it became democrat and then after a while it moved towards feminism.

I think Tat just decided to write for the causes that he deemed more important and when he ran into feminist blogs and such he said either 'As an artist I should communicate this so that people are better informed' or 'this is a fair cause and it'll give me so much material'

Not all that related... But even in the stronger defender's of Tat taking this path I've been noticing discomfort about it as for late. Is it just me perceiving it or is that the case?
Jack

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I just Googled "Tatsuya Ishida, Dave Sim," and plenty of people have made that comparison. So I guess I shouldn't expect to be praised for my groundbreaking insight.
Homeslice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leohan wrote:

Not all that related... But even in the stronger defender's of Tat taking this path I've been noticing discomfort about it as for late. Is it just me perceiving it or is that the case?

Huh?
Leohan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homeslice wrote:
Leohan wrote:

Huh?

Discontent might be a better word. And it could just be me, but since I decided to come and start posting again people seem to complain more about the pacing and the flatness of some characters like Xanthe.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Tat, no! Don't try to bring balance to the force, it never turns out well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MerchManDan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
I don't poke around the Megamind fanfiction as much as I should, but if anybody writes me this I am SO THERE.

Which reminds me: I've been meaning to Watch you on dA, but checking the Friend box seems presumptuous while NOT checking it feels creepy. What do you recommend?
Istancow

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try not to worry about things too much. Tat will move things along whenever he gets around to it. He might never get around to it. But that is alright with me; Sinfest is, after all, his story to do with as he pleases.

And he doesn't charge me to read it, for which I am thankful.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MerchManDan wrote:
Samsally wrote:

Which reminds me: I've been meaning to Watch you on dA, but checking the Friend box seems presumptuous while NOT checking it feels creepy. What do you recommend?

Lol, go for it, I don't really know what diffrence it makes, honestly, but I don't mind if you check the friend box. I think it sends you journal updates or something, whick I never update anyway.
Snorri

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
there's likely to be no single source blog for tatsuya's ideological inspiration. but i almost have the ideology of the strip mapped out completely (why i did this i have no idea, was i just bored) - only one large question about it remains

What's the question?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: