welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The rich get richer... Why?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
E-boy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: The rich get richer... Why? Reply with quote

Well other than the obvious reasons, Economists are now saying that even though service industry growth (this whole discussion in about service industry productivity only and that's the majority of the jobs in our economy right now) has sprouted faster between 1996 and now than it did from the early seventies through 1976, and even though there has been a marked jump in income and profits, that only the top ten percent of the earners are seeing that increase in pay.

Economists blame the federal government not increasing the minimum wage to keep up with inflation for this lack of 'trickle" down to the individuals doing the majority of the work.

The moral of the story? If you don't want to be depressed, don't read this crap.
Him

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, old news. Yeah, don't enlighten yourself, you might end up being depressed and questioning our current economic system.
MsFrisby

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a lengthy, VERY lengthy discussion on this very topic under something like.. Why you aren't entitled to minimum wage
Desire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't I convince trump or gates or oprah or some other person who has more wealth then they'll ever be able to spend to just donate a little to me? Hell, I'd take just what madonna spends on her kids school clothes.

I'd be way more grateful, too. Rolling Eyes
Him

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desire wrote:
Why can't I convince trump or gates or oprah or some other person who has more wealth then they'll ever be able to spend to just donate a little to me? Hell, I'd take just what madonna spends on her kids school clothes.

It's because the prime goal for making money is making more money. Deconnected from the actual needs of people. And when money is actually psent it's usally spent on worthless luxury acessories (when it's not spent to make more money). Go capitalism.
kame

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desire wrote:

As much as I question Bill's products, and his business ethics, he's donated over 30 billion dollars to charity.
Desire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pfft, I know they all donate to charity. I wouldn't ask anyone to take from what they donate to charity.

I'm just tired of being poor. ;p
Desire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
Desire wrote:

It's because the prime goal for making money is making more money. Deconnected from the actual needs of people. And when money is actually psent it's usally spent on worthless luxury acessories (when it's not spent to make more money). Go capitalism.

Honestly, I'd make a horrible rich person. I'd give too much away. lol
E-boy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
Uh, old news. Yeah, don't enlighten yourself, you might end up being depressed and questioning our current economic system.

This particular take on it came out of a monthly periodical. As for my last comment? Surely you don't take everything I say literally?

The reason this particular article was newsworthy is because older economic analysis for the same period suggested service industry had not grown in productivity, and this was by economists on the fact that it was an industry that "resisted growth". The newer analysis showed that indeed there had been growth (more of it than there had in the previous 20 years).

I actually posted this because of a thread I'd read earlier here on minumum wage. I thought the article did a good job of demonstrating a need for a higher minimum wage.

Lastly, as much as I hate to say this about my own country, but as long as politicians can accept soft money from large corporations without reporting requirements, they can engage in all manner of conflicts with the interest of their constituents. In short, as long as big business can buy them, they'll be owned by someone other than we the people.
jsimpleton

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well let's look at it this way. if they raised the minimum wage then there's almost no way the marxist revolution would come Razz
Dro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:

It may be, though, that you need a pool of "unneeded" money around for innovation. 95% of things fail, so only a rich person can take on that risk and not feel failure would make them homeless. Of course, it would be possible for a communal society to pool micro-unneeded funds for similar efforts.
Omega F

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:

Cram it, Hippie!
mantismag

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E-boy wrote:
Lastly, as much as I hate to say this about my own country, but as long as politicians can accept soft money from large corporations without reporting requirements, they can engage in all manner of conflicts with the interest of their constituents. In short, as long as big business can buy them, they'll be owned by someone other than we the people.

the rich people make the rules. they make rules that allow them to get richer. it's not just the soft money. it's the lobbyists and the representatives they can send to speak to senate commitees and such. large corporations hold all the political power in this country because they can make themselves heard. it takes a huge public outcry to have any chance against the influence held by the corporations. and the corporations can pay to reeducate the public through the media and by paying for studies which are skewed to prove what they want.

i think i'm going to cry now. Crying or Very sad
Him

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dro wrote:
Him wrote:

It may be, though, that you need a pool of "unneeded" money around for innovation. 95% of things fail, so only a rich person can take on that risk and not feel failure would make them homeless. Of course, it would be possible for a communal society to pool micro-unneeded funds for similar efforts.
Well,yes, taht is my suggestion. Getting there is, however, alittle tricky, but hey, capitalism isn't the end of the road.
E-boy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him, your thoughtfulness and wishes for a "Better way" are commendable. Just keep in mind that any solution you come up with has to take "HUMAN NATURE" into account.

Contrary to popular belief humans, while quite behaviorally flexible, ARE NOT infinitely plastic. In short, any system that's going to have a chance of working can't depend on "community spirit" alone or in allowing the needs of the many to subsume individual needs.

That's the rub, you see. Idealism is wonderful, but not terribly realistic. That's not to say that current government and the systems in place couldn't be improved upon. I'm merely making the point that uninformed idealism kills lots of people. I'm pretty sure Marx wouldn't have wanted 125 million people killed over his ideas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: