Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hitler paintings auctioned off
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: hitler paintings auctioned off Reply with quote

Paintings said to be done by Hitler sold

Quote:
LOSTWITHIEL, England - Watercolors and sketches attributed to Adolf Hitler sold for twice their estimated price at an auction Tuesday but the sale in a tranquil English town was interrupted by a noisy protest by two self-styled "comedy terrorists."

this story brings up an assortment of debates... is it ethical to profit from the work of a mass murderer? is it a non-issue? what is the real worth of these pieces, and by what standard? I certainly wouldn't want one hanging in my living room, but because of the intrinsic value of their historic association it might be "neat" to own one. or is that simply being morbid? should they be in public or private hands? I know that wwii memorabilia, including items that belonged to hitler, is a big collectors market. is this any different?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060926/ap_en_ot/selling_hitler
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see what somebody being one of the most notoriously murderous despots in history has to do with auctioning their art aside from hiking up the value beyong all other justification.
WhupAs101

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't want one, but I can't really see someone buying a Hitler painting as morbid. Personally, I'm more disgusted by the movies they make about serial killers, glorifying them (not the documentaries, the drama/thriller shit). Something Hitler painted is on par with the other memorphelia you mentioned,... in my mind it's the same as owning a WW2 German soldiers helmet or one of his medals. It doesn't say that you're supporting who he was, just, "Hey look at me, I got historical shit in my house".
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Essentially I see this as no different than buying infamous guns at auctions. Somebody wants to sell the gun that assassinated Archduke Ferdinand? Cool. Somebody wants to buy it? Cool. Why make a big fuss over it?
squints

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy one and say its war memorbilia. I am sure hitler isn't profiting and those paintings have to go somewhere.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

which raises the question - who _is_ profiting?
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was always under the impression he wasn't that good, kinda like Castro w/ baseball.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CTrees

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Essentially I see this as no different than buying infamous guns at auctions. Somebody wants to sell the gun that assassinated Archduke Ferdinand? Cool. Somebody wants to buy it? Cool. Why make a big fuss over it?

I do see this as a bit different. The infamous guns were the tools horrible people used, but these paintings, they were the creation of a horrible person. The guns, meh, they're infamous and all, but paintings, that's an attempt by a monster to create something beautiful, at expressing himself in a creative manner, to add something to society, to act in a way no one could find fault with (the intent, that is, not the skill, as all indications I've seen point to him being fairly mediocre). I find them interesting as a symbol. If I had the money, I would buy one.
Him

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were most probably painted long before world war 2, thus they are not wwii memorbilia. And I am pretty sure they were painted before Hitler even was a Nazi. So, I mean having a painting by the young hitler does not make you a nazi. Maybe you're just found of german nature romanticism.
rm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
Maybe you're just found of german nature romanticism.

no. when you buy one of these paintings there's no way to retroactively disconnect hitler the mass murdering nazi from hitler the innocent, youthful artist. you're obviously buying them because of who hitler was. the paintings themselves have no other intrinsic value at this point.
rm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTrees wrote:
I do see this as a bit different. The infamous guns were the tools horrible people used, but these paintings, they were the creation of a horrible person.

exactly. it's a big difference in my mind. I would even go so far as to say that owning one of these paintings is more of an act of morbid fascination than owning, say, hitler's brain.
rm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
which raises the question - who _is_ profiting?

the people who buy and sell them.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razz
rm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in other art news, was lisa gherardini preggers? 3D scans of the mona lisa reveal never before seen layers. still no sign of brush strokes.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060927/ap_en_ot/mona_lisa
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rm wrote:
CTrees wrote:
I do see this as a bit different. The infamous guns were the tools horrible people used, but these paintings, they were the creation of a horrible person.

exactly. it's a big difference in my mind. I would even go so far as to say that owning one of these paintings is more of an act of morbid fascination than owning, say, hitler's brain.

I don't think it's necessarily morbid. I think one could appreciate the juxtaposition of something beautiful being created by someone so associated with ugliness and destruction.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: