welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2014/04/15: The Next Level
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
crescentgaia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:14 am    Post subject: 2014/04/15: The Next Level Reply with quote

...The date thing hates me. Sorry about that. Smile
Night Spade

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Related question, has anyone played any video games created by feminist game designers?
TerseRiddle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not as far as I know... but I don't tend to look into the viewpoints of the people who's games i play... I think i have if computer/flash games count.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw this today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q65fly5HXQw
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Yinello

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Night Spade wrote:
Related question, has anyone played any video games created by feminist game designers?

Do you mean games with a clear feminist theme or games that are made by feminists (that don't always have a clear theme)?

Analogue: A Hate Story is both, created by Christine Love. It's basically described as feminism in space discussing topics such as "transhumanism, traditional marriage, loneliness and cosplay".

Christine also has a game called Digital: A Love Story but I never really checked it out.

DoubleFine's game Broken World is considered to have feminist themes in it. It features two protagonists; a girl who fights to break out of the hard-set culture of people who expect her only to be pretty and die and a guy who is so used to being the hero that he gets manipulated into doing terrible things.

Guild Wars 2, an MMO made by ArenaNet published by NcSoft also has certain feminist undertones such as story groups which have vast majorities of leading women and a clear lesbian couple who interacts with the player.

Gone Home by the Fullbright Company is about a girl in the 90s who explores her home where you see many feminist heavy themes. I haven't played this one so I can't be very detailed. It's said to be more of a story than a game but it has positive receptions.

Depression Quest by Zoe Quinn focuses, pretty obviously, on depression. It's said to be well done in the sense that people without depression can get an idea what it's like to be depressed. Zoe Quinn received a lot of hate for putting the game on Steam greenlight to the point where wizardchan started calling her phone and sending her rape threats with the idea of "women can't be depressed because they can easily get sex".

This subject is pretty much my thing so I'm always delving into different branches and games to see what people do different than most triple A titles. This is all I have out of the top of my head, I will post more if I come across it or remember it.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
Zoe Quinn received a lot of hate for putting the game on Steam greenlight to the point where wizardchan started calling her phone and sending her rape threats with the idea of "women can't be depressed because they can easily get sex".

...the fuck?
Yinello

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
Yinello wrote:
Zoe Quinn received a lot of hate for putting the game on Steam greenlight to the point where wizardchan started calling her phone and sending her rape threats with the idea of "women can't be depressed because they can easily get sex".

...the fuck?

I wish I was making this shit up.
MerchManDan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez, and I had thought the other Wii controllers were awkward/preposterous.

Yinello wrote:
I wish I was making this shit up.
...Christ.
Night Spade

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
Yinello wrote:

...the fuck?

I believe I recall hearing about that on an episode of the Jimquisition, news like this doesn't exactly enhance your faith in humanity that's for sure.
Night Spade

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
Night Spade wrote:

Do you mean games with a clear feminist theme or games that are made by feminists (that don't always have a clear theme)?

When you put it that way, both and thanks for the examples.
Yinello

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome! I live and breathe for this shit. Indie games are also my favorite turf.
Midnight Tea

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, wow, I didn't even know I had a working account here until I tried to log in just now. I'm a long time reader and lurker on the forums. Especially love some of ShadowCell's beatdowns of what I can only describe as total fuckwits.

Yeah, if Yinello didn't mention it, I was going to chime in with Guild Wars 2. While it does embrace certain design that some feminists are iffy about -- the female characters most certainly look like they're wearing permanent makeup and some of the armor does look skimpier on females -- I'm more of a third-waver anyway so I tend to not care as much about that sort of thing. Just so long as no one is being made to feel limited or diminished. Objectifying stories or characters that teach toxic morals I see as being exponentially more problematic.

More to the point though is that:

1. Female characters are not treated as special in the story. They do show up as minor villains in storylines and the game is not shy about killing them off without ceremony. That seems kind of rare to me. Almost as rare as what Yinello pointed out about how the game has a very overt lesbian couple where neither participant is meant to be the player surrogate . Depending on whether sylvari count (I say yes), you also defend a gay male couple from a bully early in one of their storylines.

2. There are in fact two "dudebro" enemy factions that actively exclude or oppress women. While the charr Flame Legion is just thoroughly unpleasant, the norn Sons of Svanir definitely have that characteristic attitude of fetishized masculinity and extreme naivete about how the world works.

One rather fun thing about 2 is that other males of their race distance themselves from them as much as possible. Male norn are usually the "good" kind of dudebro who just like to party and beat each other up while flexing their muscles and bragging about their accomplishments. Think fun-loving viking giants, basically. They consider the Sons of Svanir as being spineless for not wanting womenfolk who can properly keep up with them and often like to punch those icy misogynists as a sort of hobby.
MerchManDan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midnight Tea wrote:
Hey, wow, I didn't even know I had a working account here until I tried to log in just now.

Sorry, I couldn't stop myself; that pic is never not funny.
Midnight Tea

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, Minique has the wrong game system. If she wants to fend off endless waves of dudebros, clearly x-box live is the only real choice. They're fresh grown from walls of their parent's basements daily.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MerchManDan wrote:
Midnight Tea wrote:
Hey, wow, I didn't even know I had a working account here until I tried to log in just now.

Sorry, I couldn't stop myself; that pic is never not funny.

This, all the goddamn time.

"That email has already been registered"

Welp looks like it's time to play guess the password for an account I ostensibly made 5 years ago and haven't accessed since.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: