welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

April 20 Sunday Comic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Samsally



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 6563

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugh, i'm pretty much done with bronies forever.

fandom =/= bronies
_________________
Samsally the GrayAce
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Heretical Rants



Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 5344
Location: No.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MerchManDan wrote:
Heretical Rants wrote:
I don't think that it's "Godwin's law" that's coming into play, here, exactly.

I figured not, but I didn't know how to be clever in expressing my disappointment in the fandom for (1) creating a Nazi pony, and (2) popularizing her so much she earned her own warning tag.


as far as the site is concerned she actually doesn't have her own spoiler image for her tag, and the majority of images of the character have been drawn by the same person -- the person who created her

Certainly she has her own tag, but on derpibooru, everything gets a tag, and tagging is always thorough. The "Aryanne" tag is not on the default filter list, but if a user doesn't want to see it, they can add it to their own custom filter.

As for the image, making spoiler images for various things is a bit of a running joke over there. If something stirs up drama, someone's likely to make a spoilered image joke of it.

a quick peek at the "spoilered image joke" tag reveals a Nicolas Cage spoiler (Derpibooru became Cagebooru on April Fools Day), a Jin spoiler featuring a Twilight plushie (Jin is infamously convinced that he is straight-up married to his Twilight Sparkle), a Buttongate spoiler, a Flutterbat spoiler, a Microsoft Paint spoiler, and many others



Quote:
This image has been hidden upon loading this page because this image is tagged with the tag artist:cartuneslover16 which is spoilered in image listings by default. To un-spoiler content with this tag, edit your content settings
Alternatively, click the image above to reveal the image just this once.

_________________
butts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MerchManDan



Joined: 20 Nov 2007
Posts: 2039
Location: Somewhere else.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It boggles the mind. I'm almost glad I don't frequent derpibooru, despite the archived imagery; guess I'm just too casual.
_________________
mouse wrote:
almost a shame to waste dennis' talent on him.
except it's always a pleasure to see a good dennis insult.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ShadowCell



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 6113
Location: California

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah the whole brony thing kinda turned out to be as bad as it could've turned out, huh
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Samsally



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 6563

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty much. I honestly had a lot of really high hopes but people are kind of terrible.

it's like the media equivalent of taking candy away from babies. only in this case it's taking over a digital (and in the case of cons, physical) space meant for children and making it both inappropriate and unsafe for the kids.

because they saw a thing and they wanted it.

ugh.

(made extra frustrating because it's entirely possible enjoy mlp without making the fandom spaces completely toxic for children! they just... don't.)
_________________
Samsally the GrayAce
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Midnight Tea



Joined: 15 Jul 2012
Posts: 202
Location: In the Haunted Lands

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a fascinating discussion could be had about where exactly that culture took a wrong turn. Personally I feel like it came from a combination of several factors.


1. Equestria is an incredibly refreshing fantasy setting, and whether we know it or not I think geek culture is intensely hungering to enjoy a fantasy world that isn't defined by anger, "heroism" and violence. They all jumped on MLP like a pack of hungry wolves. Seriously, I'd tell anyone who wants to make some decent money on writing a fantasy work to not make it about killing orcs, aliens or zombies. There's a whole untapped audience who want to fantasize about a world that's less shitty than ours and they have surprisingly few options.

2. It somehow became a social movement and pride thing. If there's one recurring trend I noticed in internet culture, it's angry white guys who desperately want to be part of an oppressed minority. They'll use whatever label feeds that delusion and react viciously at anything that threatens it.

3. Hasbro had a choice of either capitalizing on that momentum or ignoring it and continuing what they're doing. They could either expand on their fantasy world to fit the needs of desperately starved geeks who want more than a glimpse of the bigger picture, or keep their original focus on children.
I think a compelling case can be made for either option, but they went with the latter. It was made for children originally and continues to be for children. I'm in a weird position where I both believe they made the right choice, but also disappointed since it set the stage for stagnation and descent that followed.

4. Many of the "sane" bronies moved on eventually since there's not enough fresh material to sustain the illusion. Proportionally speaking that more and more leaves the dregs of the community to represent the whole. These lunatics want to do anything for attention and use the "cause" they've insinuated themselves into as their shield.
The worst thing you can do is give them attention or even recognize them as worthy of being called out, because they're not. They'll find some other cause to hide behind or redefine their identity however many times they'll need to. You'll never be rid of them, the best you can do is not nurture a culture that believes in universal acceptance like the bronies did.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Heretical Rants



Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 5344
Location: No.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MerchManDan wrote:
It boggles the mind. I'm almost glad I don't frequent derpibooru, despite the archived imagery; guess I'm just too casual.


the default filter catches most of the meta crap, and most of the major annoyances have tags that can be filtered too

there's just not much that can really bother me anymore, so I don't bother

like, 'trypophobia' crap used to freak me the fuck out



but meh

emphatically meh







Also, people tend to upload my work there (artist:hereticalrants), and I'm enough of a narcissist to want to know what they're saying about it.
If I don't bother promoting it in any substantial way, it'll often get more attention on derpibooru than anywhere I posted it.


and overall the community there is probably better than, say, tumblr

tumblr is the worst
there's a reason that when I ragequit most of my things, tumblr was the only thing to get completely erased
_________________
butts


Last edited by Heretical Rants on Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Samsally



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 6563

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midnight Tea wrote:
I think a fascinating discussion could be had about where exactly that culture took a wrong turn. Personally I feel like it came from a combination of several factors.


1. Equestria is an incredibly refreshing fantasy setting, and whether we know it or not I think geek culture is intensely hungering to enjoy a fantasy world that isn't defined by anger, "heroism" and violence. They all jumped on MLP like a pack of hungry wolves. Seriously, I'd tell anyone who wants to make some decent money on writing a fantasy work to not make it about killing orcs, aliens or zombies. There's a whole untapped audience who want to fantasize about a world that's less shitty than ours and they have surprisingly few options.

GOD THIS IS SO TRUE. This is also why I dove head first into fanfiction and haven't read a published book in years, despite several valiant attempts.

Midnight Tea wrote:
2. It somehow became a social movement and pride thing. If there's one recurring trend I noticed in internet culture, it's angry white guys who desperately want to be part of an oppressed minority. They'll use whatever label feeds that delusion and react viciously at anything that threatens it.

Heh, yeah I could see that.

Midnight Tea wrote:
3. Hasbro had a choice of either capitalizing on that momentum or ignoring it and continuing what they're doing. They could either expand on their fantasy world to fit the needs of desperately starved geeks who want more than a glimpse of the bigger picture, or keep their original focus on children.
I think a compelling case can be made for either option, but they went with the latter. It was made for children originally and continues to be for children. I'm in a weird position where I both believe they made the right choice, but also disappointed since it set the stage for stagnation and descent that followed.

I... totally stopped watching after a while, but not really because I thought the show stagnated. That's just how I consume most media, in fits and bursts. I'm debating going back to catch up but I'm really on the fence about it for a lot of reasons.

Midnight Tea wrote:
4. Many of the "sane" bronies moved on eventually since there's not enough fresh material to sustain the illusion. Proportionally speaking that more and more leaves the dregs of the community to represent the whole. These lunatics want to do anything for attention and use the "cause" they've insinuated themselves into as their shield.
The worst thing you can do is give them attention or even recognize them as worthy of being called out, because they're not. They'll find some other cause to hide behind or redefine their identity however many times they'll need to. You'll never be rid of them, the best you can do is not nurture a culture that believes in universal acceptance like the bronies did.

This is a really interesting theory. I'm not really sure I understand the end though? I mean, I have seen a thing happen when some fandoms will claim they are super inclusive and accepting and then lash out horribly whenever challenged about problematic shit that is driving people away, but I've been removed enough from mlp fandom long enough that I can't say I've seen it happen there specifically (I really wouldn't be surprised, I'm just not sure if this is what you're referring to or not).

HereticalRants wrote:
tumblr is the worst

Tumblr is a social media site; it's quality is hugely dependent on who you follow.
_________________
Samsally the GrayAce
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Heretical Rants



Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 5344
Location: No.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tumblr is a social media site; its quality is hugely dependent on who you follow.


that only applies to the dashboard

the dashboard never bothered me in any sense other than wow-this-is-a-really-mediocre-way-to-process-these-posts-I-wish-more-of-these-artists-used-other-sites
_________________
butts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10622
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Quote:
Tumblr is a social media site; its quality is hugely dependent on who you follow.


that only applies to the dashboard

the dashboard never bothered me in any sense other than wow-this-is-a-really-mediocre-way-to-process-these-posts-I-wish-more-of-these-artists-used-other-sites

I always thought that it's kinda ironic that the dashboard is the least tumblr-ish aspect of tumblr.
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://about.me/omardrake
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Heretical Rants



Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 5344
Location: No.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, now that I think about it, my dashboard was a bit bothersome for a while, when "pinkiepony" first started stirring up shit -- the effects of that spread to quite a lot of blogs, like some horrible infectious disease

and the nature of the dashboard itself was bothersome -- at one point I was following nothing but pure art blogs and a couple of writing blogs on my "scroll through the entire dashboard" account, and following everything else on my, well, everything else account, because otherwise I'd be completely inundated in stuff in a way that just doesn't happen on other sites

but currently I do not follow anyone (although I have revived my tumblog, somewhat, sans most of the followers I had accumulated), so my dashboard can't bother me
_________________
butts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ShadowCell



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 6113
Location: California

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midnight Tea wrote:
1. Equestria is an incredibly refreshing fantasy setting, and whether we know it or not I think geek culture is intensely hungering to enjoy a fantasy world that isn't defined by anger, "heroism" and violence. They all jumped on MLP like a pack of hungry wolves. Seriously, I'd tell anyone who wants to make some decent money on writing a fantasy work to not make it about killing orcs, aliens or zombies. There's a whole untapped audience who want to fantasize about a world that's less shitty than ours and they have surprisingly few options.


i'm not really sure My Little Pony and the bronies are examples of this, though.

i mean, yeah, Equestria is a fantasy setting where the world is significantly better than ours, and i don't doubt there's a market out there for that...but look at the most popular fan productions for this show. "Fallout: Equestria" is one of the most popular and famous products of the brony fandom and it swaps out that optimistic fantasy setting for a post-apocalyptic wasteland. then there's the great fandom love affair with the Changelings and all the grimdark possibilities they have to offer. and there was Molestia, the thing that eventually pushed me out of the fandom. so far as i could tell, much of the love for the IDW comics is precisely because it pushes the world of Equestria a little closer to the world of our own. if bronies latched onto this show because they crave a more optimistic fantasy setting than Game of Thrones can provide, they sure do have a funny way of showing it.

that all leads me to a different conclusion: that overall, the bronies, contrary to what so many of them said about redefining gender expectations and whatnot, were never really comfortable with an optimistic and lighthearted show meant for children, and for little girls in particular. if they were, there wouldn't be so much effort to try to remake the show in an "adult" and "dark" and "gritty" image.

but that shouldn't be too surprising, because the entire brony thing literally started out as an exercise in trolling. the first people calling themselves bronies were doing that to piss off other people on 4chan. it all literally started from the dregs of the internet, and it presents an opportunity for angry male geeks to feel like an oppressed minority, so i guess it was sort of inevitable it wound up where it is.

tl;dr bronies are horrible, the end

Samsally wrote:
This is a really interesting theory. I'm not really sure I understand the end though? I mean, I have seen a thing happen when some fandoms will claim they are super inclusive and accepting and then lash out horribly whenever challenged about problematic shit that is driving people away, but I've been removed enough from mlp fandom long enough that I can't say I've seen it happen there specifically (I really wouldn't be surprised, I'm just not sure if this is what you're referring to or not).


i think what this means is that if you don't want your fandom to be taken over by the creeps who make pony porn and gore and generally do nothing but nasty horrible shit, you shouldn't embrace those people under the label of your fandom in the first place.

like, example (with proper Poe's Law caveats throughout): there is/was a fairly famous dude in the furry fandom who straight up wrote manuals on how to have sex with dogs. most furries are not out there having sex with dogs. most furries, in fact, have no desire whatsoever to have sex with dogs. nonetheless, plenty of furries lashed out at people who criticized that dude for his sexual abuse of animals, because that guy called himself a furry and so did everyone else and all furries must stand together against the evil fursecutors. but then furries get pretty mad if you assume that they're all into having sex with dogs, because, y'know, they aren't. well, if you didn't want people assuming that you're into having sex with dogs, you shouldn't have acted as if an attack on the dogfucker was an attack on all the rest of you. and i think we can all get behind criticizing the dogfuckers for being dogfuckers.

anyways,

Quote:
claim they are super inclusive and accepting and then lash out horribly whenever challenged about problematic shit that is driving people away


is literally exactly what happened several months ago with the whole Molestia thing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Heretical Rants



Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 5344
Location: No.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
whenever challenged about problematic shit that is driving people away



uh, right

"challenged about problematic shit"

"...that is driving people away"

because that's exactly how it goes down /sarcasm


I'm all for keeping the pony-content on the 'net appropriate, but the most prominent of the actively anti-brony bronies are all of the same breed as the worst of the people they fight against.
_________________
butts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Heretical Rants



Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 5344
Location: No.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:

I'm all for keeping the pony-content on the 'net appropriate, but the most prominent of the actively anti-brony bronies are all of the same breed as the worst of the people they fight against.


that said, if just one more suggestive pony video shows up in my YouTube suggestions, or related videos for something not at all related, I'm going to flip a nut and join them

*watches a Smile Song typography*

*looks at the "related" videos*
MERLIN'S BEARD.

*sobs*
aaaaaaaargghkeepthisshitoffofyoutubepeoplearrrrrrrrrrgggggh

I... I can't join them, though. They're too horrible.


wait, what's this?
*plays Find the Music in you PMVs on loop in the background*
*happy again*
srsly i recommend this to everyone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpAHyrpy2bU if you don't like this you make Fluttershy sad
_________________
butts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yinello



Joined: 10 May 2012
Posts: 2840
Location: Behind you

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make a big deal on my Tumblr to actively unfollow anyone who makes at least one post that rustles my jimmies because I'm only there for the pretty pictures and art.
_________________
Help. Help, my eyes are stuck from rolling so hard. Help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group