welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

April 20 Sunday Comic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
I make a big deal on my Tumblr to actively unfollow anyone who makes at least one post that rustles my jimmies because I'm only there for the pretty pictures and art.

I'm unlikely to unfollow people over that, especially when I am uncertain as to the utility of the jimmy-rustling. Some jimmy-rustling has a net positive value, because sometimes the problem is with me, not them.

The jimmy-rustling I judge to be least likely to be of positive value (wilful ignorance to the point of causing harm, base values egregiously incompatible with my own, the invocation of some primal outrage within myself operating well below my ego that I don't have will to spare to wrestle with at the time, outright trolling that isn't even entertaining trolling, meaningless insults that rely on the belief that something not-bad is bad, etc) often has a substantially lessened impact on me just from that judgement, but factors in as negative utility if there's no way for me to filter it out without unfollowing.

I only ever unfollow someone on a site if they are posting too much stuff for me to keep up with, or the utility that their content provides is of less total value (entertainment, education, etc) than the time it takes to peruse it.

Naturally, that means that I've unfollowed absolutely everyone on tumblr, since tumblr's dashboard is a stupendously subpar way of processing pretty pictures and art. Scrolling down is a lot of work! Really all it's built well for is lazy blog hosting with a mechanism of free promotion and answering questions from strangers in multimedia.

Wait, lazy blog posting? Wait, that reminds me: I'd forgotten about a few of the joke accounts that I'd made! They survived, so they still have content. I can go back and laugh at my own jokes! Gosh, this is great, all of past-me's jokes are custom-tailored to my sense of humor, and by now I've forgotten what they were, so they feel fresh! Thanks, tumblr. You finally did something right. You provide optimal functionality as an anonymous public diary.
Otoh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: