welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2014-04-24: Cupid Proof

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:00 am    Post subject: 2014-04-24: Cupid Proof Reply with quote

there's almost no conflict here

I mean, there is, but there isn't.
I think that this would be more effective if it showed some other things that the drones were resilient against, like maybe zen-zaps or bomfs, or maybe ended with something that they couldn't resist, or maybe if there were some precedent for them to be fighting Cupid and it was something on-going.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it might be worth noting that Tats tagged Cupid in yesterday's comic, as well, but the last time we actually saw him was totally unrelated

further digging serves as a reminder of why Big D actually cared about Cupid-proofing, which is something I'm sure 'most everyone has forgotten about by now, unless they constantly re-read the archives

butt-bot's origin was completely overshadowed by the hijinks that ensued, at least for me

aaaand further digging reminds us of yet another thing that we already forgot about: they were already zen-proof prior to butt-bot

I vaguely recall some zen-zapped drones hanging out on power lines or something.

Basically, we're continuing a storyline from 2012 that's vaguely related to a more recent story line but probably won't get tied into it in any meaningful way.
urrgh

Last edited by Heretical Rants on Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:19 am; edited 4 times in total
Felgraf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. That cupid could even DO anything to them (and that this is being brought up, so... not a one-off joke?), kinda lends more creedence sorta imply the drones are capable of sapience, and that the sapience isn't just a one-off gag.

.. Whiiich leads to some interesting moral implications.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaaaand apparently Miss M posted about this background stuff in yesterday's thread, which was something that I missed. But today's comic is meaningless without it -- It doesn't work as a standalone, yet it's not a compelling continuation of anything most current readers would even remember.

hrm.
Ennis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Aaaaaand apparently Miss M posted about this background stuff in yesterday's thread, which was something that I missed. But today's comic is meaningless without it -- It doesn't work as a standalone, yet it's not a compelling continuation of anything most current readers would even remember.

hrm.

Wouldn't it be weird if Tat drew this comic because he saw Miss M brought up that stuff? Because other than that, the comic just seemed to totally come out of left field.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She posted about it half an hour before I made this thread, well after the point in the day that Tat would have had to start working on the comic, unless he cranks these things out in twenty minutes each.

It's not exactly out of left field that Big D made a particular improvement to his drones, but today's comic seems kind of pointless as-is.
Night Spade

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But are they 100% Proof? Razz
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crack one open and take a sip.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
She posted about it half an hour before I made this thread, well after the point in the day that Tat would have had to start working on the comic, unless he cranks these things out in twenty minutes each.

It's not exactly out of left field that Big D made a particular improvement to his drones, but today's comic seems kind of pointless as-is.

In the past Tat has said that he draws the comics in advance and the updates are done via script (so he doesn't necessarily draw them every day). Assuming he still does that, it's just a weird coincidence.
Ennis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Heretical Rants wrote:

In the past Tat has said that he draws the comics in advance and the updates are done via script (so he doesn't necessarily draw them every day). Assuming he still does that, it's just a weird coincidence.

Oh, I wasn't really checking the time. That's kind of disappointing, since without that it really is just a pointless strip, since it's not like we were really expecting Cupid to overthrow the devil through making all the drones into butt-lovers.
Yinello

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butt-bots, rise!
darksander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why it's pointless though.. You'll have to wait a few more strips in order to determine it's place.

Lots of times the writers happen to mention some 'fun fact' out of thin air for its relevance to be later determined Smile.
enchantedsleeper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:

Doesn't that technically mean that someone could look into the future and see the next day's strip before it went up? I follow 'Go Get a Roomie!', where the artist does updates by script, and she recently complained about people who go and comment on comics days before they're uploaded. I have no idea how it works though.

mouse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there used to be someone here who kept insisting that he could get to the future comics...as i recall, though, he never produced any definite evidence (like quoting from a future strip) and tat finally posted telling to quit lying about being able to see them.

as to whether you could see "the future", i would think it would depend on how secure the artist's computer or the hosting website are (depending on where the comics are stored prior to posting) - so you'd have to be able to hack in to one or the other.
Mikewee777

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot about the butt-bot. Aw man. That's still hilarious despite the fact that these cold machines will never be able to love without becoming sociopathically jealous murder machines like some people's deities are . I'm not pointing fingers. You know which one I'm talking about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: