welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jesus Camp
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dazedb42

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are disturbing things afoot. Those kids are just neo-christian fascists.
The terrorists are screwed if you sick those kids onto them.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dazedb42 wrote:
There are disturbing things afoot. Those kids are just neo-christian fascists.

It's not necessarily the kids that worry me (right now), it's the people who instruct them.
dazedb42

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you on that. I used to think the Jesuits were bad for indoctinating kids but this is just Wow.
jsimpleton

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's why i like the jews, they don't openly recruit.
AfyonBlade

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years back I had to go to church with my Aunt and my cousins(why I had to is such a long, stupid story...) and it just so happened to be one of those football stadium-sized churches with its own little coffee shop, bookstore, etc. A money-maker. The preacher stood up on his little podium, projected onto 8 15 foot screens arrayed throughout the 'grand hall,' and cited bible verse after bible verse. The topic that day was the 'battle against homosexuality.' I actually got up and left in the middle of one of his rants, which, being in the second row, caused some woman to approach me afterward and ask me why I left. When I explained I had several gay and lesbian friends, this woman's little kid seriously went 'Why don't you make them not be gay? Do you really want them to burn in hell? You can't be a good christian if you let that happen.'

THAT is scary. If it only takes 2 hours for a kid to be engrained with that idea, what could a savvy preacher put into these kid's heads in a week's time?
Be Evil.
Celaeno

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AfyonBlade wrote:
'Why don't you make them not be gay? Do you really want them to burn in hell? You can't be a good christian if you let that happen.'

That's absolutely terrifying.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dazedb42 wrote:
I'm with you on that. I used to think the Jesuits were bad for indoctinating kids but this is just Wow.

The difference is that the Jesuits actually care about, you know, knowledge and science and stuff. They used to be the best-funded scientific organization on Earth, they contributed tons and tons to our present understanding of things (It was a Jesuit who proposed the Big Bang model), and they're supposed to make really awesome teachers. I don't know if they have anything to do with the the whole "Condoms r bad kekeke" thing.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mini J wrote:
Here's a lovely continuation on the link that wheels posted. Equally scary!

Burn baby burn

this is seriously scary. a couple of things worth quoting:
Quote:
I can't help but recall the words of my ethics professor at Harvard Divinity School, Dr. James Luther Adams, who told us that when we were his age, and he was then close to eighty, we would all be fighting the “Christian fascists.”

He gave us that warning twenty-five years ago, when Pat Robertson and other prominent evangelists began speaking of a new political religion that would direct its efforts at taking control of all major American institutions, including mainstream denominations and the government, so as to transform the United States into a global Christian empire. At the time, it was hard to take such fantastic rhetoric seriously. But fascism, Adams warned, would not return wearing swastikas and brown shirts. Its ideological inheritors would cloak themselves in the language of the Bible; they would come carrying crosses and chanting the Pledge of Allegiance.

<snip>
Adams told us to watch closely the Christian right's persecution of homosexuals and lesbians. Hitler, he reminded us, promised to restore moral values not long after he took power in 1933, then imposed a ban on all homosexual and lesbian organizations and publications. Then came raids on the places where homosexuals gathered, culminating on May 6, 1933, with the ransacking of the Institute for Sexual Science in Berlin. Twelve thousand volumes from the institute's library were tossed into a public bonfire. Homosexuals and lesbians, Adams said, would be the first “deviants” singled out by the Christian right. We would be the next.

and a footnote:
Quote:
When George W. Bush was first elected, Pat Robertson resigned as head of the Christian Coalition, a sign to many that Bush was the first in an expected line of regents that will herald the coming of the Messiah.

man, bush as the first in a line of regents - that alone is enough to make me hope we can impeach the man in the next two years.
Celaeno

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
dazedb42 wrote:

The difference is that the Jesuits actually care about, you know, knowledge and science and stuff. They used to be the best-funded scientific organization on Earth, they contributed tons and tons to our present understanding of things (It was a Jesuit who proposed the Big Bang model), and they're supposed to make really awesome teachers. I don't know if they have anything to do with the the whole "Condoms r bad kekeke" thing.

I love the Jesuit university I attend despite my the fact that I'm not Catholic or even Christian or even religious at all. In my experience, they really do try to make their students well-rounded and socially responsible regardless of their religious backgrounds.

As for the condoms thing…funny you should mention that. Just yesterday I sat in on what my school calls "Ethics at Noon." One of my philosophy professors presented a lecture that analyzed our contraception policy. While the health center on campus does not provide condoms and will not write prescriptions for the pill (unless you get around it by saying that it's not to prevent pregnancy but to regulate your period for example), they do make information readily available. They are upfront and honest about contraception and where one can get it. Further, while neither the university nor any university agents can pass out contraception, there is nothing in the policy that prevents an independent organization from doing so. To test this, my friend and I have decided to form an independent club that provides free condoms to students. I'll let you know what the university decides to do about that.
dazedb42

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celaeno wrote:
WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
dazedb42 wrote:

I love the Jesuit university I attend despite my the fact that I'm not Catholic or even Christian or even religious at all. In my experience, they really do try to make their students well-rounded and socially responsible regardless of their religious backgrounds.

As for the condoms thing…funny you should mention that. Just yesterday I sat in on what my school calls "Ethics at Noon." One of my philosophy professors presented a lecture that analyzed our contraception policy. While the health center on campus does not provide condoms and will not write prescriptions for the pill (unless you get around it by saying that it's not to prevent pregnancy but to regulate your period for example), they do make information readily available. They are upfront and honest about contraception and where one can get it. Further, while neither the university nor any university agents can pass out contraception, there is nothing in the policy that prevents an independent organization from doing so. To test this, my friend and I have decided to form an independent club that provides free condoms to students. I'll let you know what the university decides to do about that.

Just to clear one thing up. I used to think the jesuits were bad. I have since refined my position on this and accept they are one of the finest teaching establishments in the modern age. What annoyed me with them was the whole

Quote:
Show me the boy until he is 7 and I will show you the man.

Give me the children until they are seven and anyone may have them afterwards.

(variously attributed to St. Francis Xavier, a Jesuit saying, Piaget...)

Indoctinating children what ever the motivation strikes me as wrong. As I said though this is only to do with their orphanage policy not their university one. The jesuits have certainly been a light of knowledge over the centuries and I have no axe to grind with their current stance on education.
AfyonBlade

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always wondered what would happen to church attendance if children were not allowed to go to church until they were at least twelve, and allowed to decide if they wanted to go or not after three weekends of being made to go.
Be Evil.
lily

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsimpleton wrote:

we don't recruit, openly or otherwise. that's in large part because we don't believe non-jews are damned, so there's no great feeling of 'omg! must save souls of non-believers!!' in fact, converting to judaism is pretty damn difficult.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention it's easier to be a gentile from the Jewish point of view. Far fewer laws to follow.
jsimpleton

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lily wrote:
jsimpleton wrote:

we don't recruit, openly or otherwise. that's in large part because we don't believe non-jews are damned, so there's no great feeling of 'omg! must save souls of non-believers!!' in fact, converting to judaism is pretty damn difficult.

Very Happy even MORE reasons to love jews.
G. Looking Out

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the Jews are getting me out of work on monday. Mazeltov!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: