welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2014-05-04: Devil Tech Factory
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
swicked



Joined: 15 Jul 2013
Posts: 46

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vancore wrote:
The other guy from the other comic didn't even want to prove it was real, he just junked it.
That guy never wanted anything real. He just wanted people to respect him. It was the bot's fault, in his mind, for not being real, so he destroyed her for it.
She was the problem. She and every other woman that never really liked him. The "best" thing about her, at that point, was that he could take his aggression out on her without consequence.
...which makes me wonder if there will ever be a character introduced into the Sinfest universe that preys on fembots like this guy did, but regularly, simply because they can't defend themselves.

Yinello wrote:
But it's not like she'll adore him because he didn't exactly do it to free her.
...but he DID do it to free her. He wanted her to love him freely, that why he didn't do anything to stop her when she decided not to. It was a risk he was willing to take.
If he decide to think the worst of Slick, we could assume he didn't think that was a possibility. That he never considered making her a real person wouldn't have resulted in her potentially rejecting him. He never went after her, though. Never tried to get revenge. He never got a second fembot to try this again with or simply to try and disguise as a real relationship. He wanted an actual connection.
I really don't think it's at all fair to compare these two.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Midnight Tea



Joined: 15 Jul 2012
Posts: 193
Location: In the Haunted Lands

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swicked wrote:
...but he DID do it to free her. He wanted her to love him freely, that why he didn't do anything to stop her when she decided not to. It was a risk he was willing to take.
If he decide to think the worst of Slick, we could assume he didn't think that was a possibility. That he never considered making her a real person wouldn't have resulted in her potentially rejecting him. He never went after her, though. Never tried to get revenge. He never got a second fembot to try this again with or simply to try and disguise as a real relationship. He wanted an actual connection.
I really don't think it's at all fair to compare these two.


I don't think you're wrong, exactly, but I don't think his motives were at all as selfless as you're implying. Slick has pretty much had his head up his own jacksie since the comic began, it's where 90% of the humor involving him has ever come from. But I do like the idea that in the process of doing something for his own selfish whims -- proving that his fembot was "real" -- he did something special and beautiful. I like the idea that Slick's bumbling doesn't always result in bad things but sometimes he inadvertently does good too. That makes him a good everyman type character.

I think despite everything Slick does have a really good heart and I don't think for a second that he'd regret making someone happy. But I don't think there's any denying that he's also chronically immature, self-centered and ignorant.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10380
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
what, are we arguing with rothide again?

is that's what's going on in here?

because TL;DR.


Yeah, what he's asking.
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://about.me/omardrake
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Yinello



Joined: 10 May 2012
Posts: 2701
Location: Behind you

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swicked wrote:
Yinello wrote:
But it's not like she'll adore him because he didn't exactly do it to free her.
...but he DID do it to free her. He wanted her to love him freely, that why he didn't do anything to stop her when she decided not to. It was a risk he was willing to take.
If he decide to think the worst of Slick, we could assume he didn't think that was a possibility. That he never considered making her a real person wouldn't have resulted in her potentially rejecting him. He never went after her, though. Never tried to get revenge. He never got a second fembot to try this again with or simply to try and disguise as a real relationship. He wanted an actual connection.
I really don't think it's at all fair to compare these two.


I did not get that impression at all. He took her in there because he was curious as to what would happen. He definitely didn't do it because he felt so sorry for the robot or because he wanted her to love him freely because he had *no idea* what the reality zone would do to her. He's simply a person who wanted to try an experiment on a machine.

He didn't chase her because most likely it would be too much effort and he can't exactly get a refund for something he lost in its entirety. If he truly did want her to be a free person, wouldn't he go after her considering she doesn't know anything about this world and would get into huge trouble? It's fortunate Px ran into Nana and the others before D-Corp found her.

Why he didn't buy another fembot? Probably because they're expensive. Or because Tat didn't feel like it.

Considering he's hoping to buy a "bimbo" a few comics ago, I highly doubt he even has the very best intentions for women, let alone fembots, in the first place. He's just an incredibly clueless guy who goes about things the wrong way.
_________________
Help. Help, my eyes are stuck from rolling so hard. Help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diagram12345



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 156

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
swicked wrote:
Yinello wrote:
But it's not like she'll adore him because he didn't exactly do it to free her.
...but he DID do it to free her. He wanted her to love him freely, that why he didn't do anything to stop her when she decided not to. It was a risk he was willing to take.
If he decide to think the worst of Slick, we could assume he didn't think that was a possibility. That he never considered making her a real person wouldn't have resulted in her potentially rejecting him. He never went after her, though. Never tried to get revenge. He never got a second fembot to try this again with or simply to try and disguise as a real relationship. He wanted an actual connection.
I really don't think it's at all fair to compare these two.


I did not get that impression at all. He took her in there because he was curious as to what would happen. He definitely didn't do it because he felt so sorry for the robot or because he wanted her to love him freely because he had *no idea* what the reality zone would do to her. He's simply a person who wanted to try an experiment on a machine.

He didn't chase her because most likely it would be too much effort and he can't exactly get a refund for something he lost in its entirety. If he truly did want her to be a free person, wouldn't he go after her considering she doesn't know anything about this world and would get into huge trouble? It's fortunate Px ran into Nana and the others before D-Corp found her.


I don't know about this -- at the time that he took her into the Reality Zone, he was trying to prove a point to the Sisterhood. He had spent the day, not having sex with the fembot, but rather pretending as though it was his girlfriend, who liked him and wanted to listen to his (lame) jokes.

Curly calls him/ the fembot/ the situation fake, and he's angry and wants to prove her wrong. I got the impression that he wanted to prove that the fembot would really like him even after going to the Reality Zone.

But we never really see Slick's reaction to what happened either way, so it's hard to say for certain.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kjralon



Joined: 19 Mar 2013
Posts: 51
Location: New Jersey, USA

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean, I definitely don't think Slick brought Rogue to the reality zone out of the kindness of his heart in an effort to actually free her. But ultimately, that's just it -- he IS the one who freed her. Regardless of motive, it is what it is. That has to be a weird and conflicting feeling for her.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Leohan



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 1019

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:
But go ahead, say that I'm just complaining about unimportant stuff, say that my criticism is just mindless complaining.

Cause your silence/criticism of him doesn't seem to be getting through.

And now that I think about it neither does mine. I guess I could just give up on the comic. But then it's like seeing someone you know has potential, just giving it up to keep the norm that gets the views.

Quite a lot of criticism has been going on lately, and surprisingly enough it wasn't from random passersby who come to the forum solely to complain... Like you are doing now, I suppose. Those criticisms and conversations were interesting. This isn't.

Now, back in the day I would explain to you just what you are doing wrong in this scenario and why you are getting the backlash, but here's the tragedy: Back in the day I really thought that you were a person that had some opinions worth arguing but were just not very good at it. Nowadays I notice that you are just another person like many others that comes around here just to complain and to be generally unpleasant to people. Not the most dickish but probably the most insistent. Please stop doing that.
_________________
Sinfest Juggalo Worshipper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rothide



Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 852

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leohan wrote:
Rothide wrote:
But go ahead, say that I'm just complaining about unimportant stuff, say that my criticism is just mindless complaining.

Cause your silence/criticism of him doesn't seem to be getting through.

And now that I think about it neither does mine. I guess I could just give up on the comic. But then it's like seeing someone you know has potential, just giving it up to keep the norm that gets the views.

Quite a lot of criticism has been going on lately, and surprisingly enough it wasn't from random passersby who come to the forum solely to complain... Like you are doing now, I suppose. Those criticisms and conversations were interesting. This isn't.

Now, back in the day I would explain to you just what you are doing wrong in this scenario and why you are getting the backlash, but here's the tragedy: Back in the day I really thought that you were a person that had some opinions worth arguing but were just not very good at it. Nowadays I notice that you are just another person like many others that comes around here just to complain and to be generally unpleasant to people. Not the most dickish but probably the most insistent. Please stop doing that.


so the only thing i should have said was "wow this disapointed me" not go nto detail or explain the reason why.

i havent been to this forum for over four months, cause the comic was just doing the same crap it did, then 2 months ago maverick grabbed a gun.

im sorry for expecting someone to shoot a gun when they are planning to shoot someone. yes people can second guess, but what about seeing slick would at all change heremind about milton? it just seems like a cop out to not have to do any more work or offend people.

he got my hopes up, and when he did nothing it frustrated me and i told my frustrations here. and ive seen to many angry people just shoot a place up, not caring about anyone to think that just by seeing the guy who bought here and still tried to control her up untill she ran, that she would suddenly loose complete focus.

And again every explanation as to why just seems like an excuse/copout. it just seems like, yeah this story went absolutely nowhere but heres why its actually good or why it makes sense.

you guys probably wont see me again till i get my hopes up again, cya then.
_________________
The Angry Asshat.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
firestk



Joined: 20 Feb 2014
Posts: 17
Location: United States

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:
im sorry for expecting someone to shoot a gun when they are planning to shoot someone. yes people can second guess, but what about seeing slick would at all change heremind about milton? it just seems like a cop out to not have to do any more work or offend people.


Well maybe you'll find the "work" of Dave Cheung more your speed. Try not to forget, this is Sinfest. Take your gore fetish elsewhere.
_________________
Mmm...discussion
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rothide



Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 852

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

firestk wrote:
Rothide wrote:
im sorry for expecting someone to shoot a gun when they are planning to shoot someone. yes people can second guess, but what about seeing slick would at all change heremind about milton? it just seems like a cop out to not have to do any more work or offend people.


Well maybe you'll find the "work" of Dave Cheung more your speed. Try not to forget, this is Sinfest. Take your gore fetish elsewhere.


so i guess you think any cop/ adventure show is a show for "gore fetishists" people get shot all the time in media.

god you must hate Hot Fuzz too.
_________________
The Angry Asshat.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ShadowCell



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 6053
Location: California

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh hey mr. "osama bin laden torture fantasy fanfic" sup man
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Heretical Rants



Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 5344
Location: No.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only prior reference my brain has to Hot Fuzz even existing is a memory of a crossover fanfic of it turning up on the front page of fimfiction somewhat recently. It was called "Hot Muzz(les)" or something. The cover art caught my eye, but I didn't look at it very closely, and the description didn't interest me enough for me to read it, so I don't really know what it was about.

I don't know whether I'd hate Hot Fuzz or not, and I don't care enough to find out.


So far all I know is what you've told me: that people get shot. This isn't enough to sway my opinion of it either way, but if you post further descriptions I won't bother reading them.


anywho, there's a clear difference between outright condemning all media in which people get shot, and not caring that rothide's expectation of someone getting shot in this particular comic led to rodhide getting disappointed, boohoo, soz rothide ifeelforubro
_________________
butts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Leohan



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 1019

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:
so the only thing i should have said was "wow this disapointed me" not go nto detail or explain the reason why.

i havent been to this forum for over four months, cause the comic was just doing the same crap it did, then 2 months ago maverick grabbed a gun.

im sorry for expecting someone to shoot a gun when they are planning to shoot someone. yes people can second guess, but what about seeing slick would at all change heremind about milton? it just seems like a cop out to not have to do any more work or offend people.

he got my hopes up, and when he did nothing it frustrated me and i told my frustrations here. and ive seen to many angry people just shoot a place up, not caring about anyone to think that just by seeing the guy who bought here and still tried to control her up untill she ran, that she would suddenly loose complete focus.

And again every explanation as to why just seems like an excuse/copout. it just seems like, yeah this story went absolutely nowhere but heres why its actually good or why it makes sense.

you guys probably wont see me again till i get my hopes up again, cya then.

That's one way to see it...

The way I see it, though, you effectively appeared after four months at the point in which the strip particularly bothered you, thus expressing the fact that your interest for being around here is directly proportional to and only to your desire to bash the strip.

Which could have... Worked, I suppose? Taken as criticism, at least. But it's all about form, and your form was making blatant assumptions about the characters and their ideas in a fairly dismissive manner, in particular regarding PX.

You said that you hoped that PX would kill someone, which goes against the tone of Sinfest but hey, that's cool. What's not so cool is you delivering an outright delirious and overly violent script to how you think things should have gone, thus completely dismissing the work of Tatsuya and presenting a message that could be shortened to "I would have done it better."

When presented with counter-evidence and given the very fair point of you not knowing what goes through the characters' heads, you became overly defensive, although I don't think you could have noticed... So yeah, that one in particular gets a free pass as far as I'm concerned.

You ask what you could have said...

"I'm not really a fan of this strip. All of the setup with PX grabbing the gun and going on a manhunt was a solid plot to which I'd like to see some solid results. Well, it's not necessarily over, I figure, but I really hope that it ends up in some development. I think that the strip could use that at the moment."

I think that could have worked fine.
_________________
Sinfest Juggalo Worshipper


Last edited by Leohan on Mon May 05, 2014 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Midnight Tea



Joined: 15 Jul 2012
Posts: 193
Location: In the Haunted Lands

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly is Rothide trying to accomplish? Aside from barely slowing down newbie undead players in Warcraft?

His complaining isn't going to cause Tatsuya Ishida to spontaneously have an epiphany and go back on years of his direction change and he lacks the charisma to bring anyone from the forum to his side.

And besides, I finally get the account thing to work and he's the only one of the original rogue's gallery I get to chew on? I feel like I came late to a buffet and all that's left a few cold shriveled chicken wings.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Samsally



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 6439

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does seem like we've been getting a lot less of the peanut gallery lately.

I mean, I feel like that's an accomplishment, but I suppose at least some of them did scuttle off to go talk about us behind our backs so...

*shrug*
_________________
Samsally the GrayAce
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group